Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

to you mountain bike guys

Old 09-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
to you mountain bike guys

i've decided to attempt to get a bike to ride trails wiht , i have it narrowed down between the cannondale Trail 6 and the gary fisher advance , any opinions on this subject , or other bikes around the $500 range ?

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/advance-disc

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...S6JGRN-TRAIL-6
Old 09-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
Ride as many bikes as you can in your price range and pick the one that feels best.

Mike
Old 09-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you are spending $500 on either of those bikes you are getting ripped off. Just because the manufacturer web site lists a price doesn't mean that is what they sell for. A Gary Fisher Advance would sell at an authorized dealer for at most 449.00 This time of year you will find most bikes on sale between 30-50% off. Do yourself a favor and move up a price level, you will get better components, and a lighter bike.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
X2
Old 09-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Whichever one feels best for you. It used to be that the more you spent on components, the less time you spent tuning, but I doubt that's as important these days. My Fisher KaiTai feels as good to me now as my Stumpjumper Team did back in '89, but I do have a little problem with the Rapidfire crap on Deore derailleurs (I like GripShift better... if it's a little off, you can add some tension)
Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
get fit for the bike.
budget for a helmet and ad gloves and shoes if you can afford it.
just like 4 wheelin, you will need spare tube, pump, multi tool etc.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
well i actually went to our local shop today , i didnt ride anything because it was raining , but that was their price on both of the bikes , so i figured about $50 or so less i could get it for and it would put me around 600 with other stuff i need, as far as moving up a level, that pretty much applys to everything , but the key factor here is im not 100% how long i will stick with it , but i would like a starter bike fore a year or so, than i can get something better
Old 09-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I guess maybe here in a mountain state where snow is about to end our season the pricing is different. You can purchase a Advance for $299.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #9

bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
i think it snows here , not too much though , this will be my first winter , im pretty sure it will get cold though , and that is alot cheaper that what they have , is that the disc brake version though , cheapest i can find online is like 439.00, know any good places online ?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
AKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura about
Name: Adam
AKtoyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
check out www.jensonusa.com they have great deals and excellent customer service. Cruise around their website and don't hesitate to pick up the phone and call them if you have questions or just want an honest opinion. They are great to work with and not pushy at all. I bought my Titus Racer X from them last spring and saved a ton of money. I did a quick search for you and they have a great deal on this bike:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Vapor+10.aspx

It is $599 but retails for $750. Not only do you get the savings but they will build it for free & ship it for free. For $99 this bike is waaaay better than either of the 2 you are looking at. It has significantly better components and the shock alone is worth an additional $100 over the shocks on either the Cannondale or the GF. The Rocky Mountain on Jenson actually comes w/ a legit Rock Shox that allows you to adjust your preload. Just my .02 but it is well worth it so spend an extra $99 now to get a bike that you won't want to upgrade next year.

Depending on your size, they have a bunch of other great options though. Check it out!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
asus611 is on a distinguished road
asus611's Tacoma Gallery
I started mountain biking about 3 years ago... and since then I have gone through 3 bikes. If I were to rate myself, I would give myself an honest advanced intermediate/expert level rider.

What I've learned:

1) Go to a local bike shop. Talk to the people there. If they are working at a bike shop, chance are that salesperson/manager is a biking FREAK. Ask their opinion on bikes/gear. Give them your price range, they can get you into what you need. Yes, the internet is a great place to save $$, but IMO nothing can beat the support/advice you can get at a good LBS. Having a great local support network will assist you on not just the purchase, but also the after care that is needed.

2) Get the right size bike. You can do this by referencing #1 above. I started out on a small frame, but after experimenting and "demo" -ing different size frames, I found out that a medium size frame with medium length cranks is what I can spin most efficiently on, with the most control and comfort for my riding. I never would have figured this out without a great LBS to support my experimenting.

3) Buy the best bike possible within your budget. Like many other hobbies, IMO its best to go a little overkill to begin with to give yourself room to grow. I know, in this economy its asking a lot, but I could have saved myself a LOT of money since I started this sport if I spent a little more upfront. I'm not saying go out and drop $7 grand on a Specialized S works full carbon / full susp... but maybe consider buying a used bike at a great savings, which will put you on a more efficient machine.

With alllll that being said, the most important part is you get out and RIDE Sorry I can't give advice on your actual question, but hopefully my post isn't 100% verbal diarrhea LOL
Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdtaco View Post
If you are spending $500 on either of those bikes you are getting ripped off. Just because the manufacturer web site lists a price doesn't mean that is what they sell for. A Gary Fisher Advance would sell at an authorized dealer for at most 449.00 This time of year you will find most bikes on sale between 30-50% off. Do yourself a favor and move up a price level, you will get better components, and a lighter bike.
this. those bikes you have posted are not that great.... good manufacturers? yes. you could get so much more though for a few hundred dollars more.

check out pinkbike.com and craigslist. Just have to weed out all the bad bikes on CL
Old 11-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
FASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to all
Name: Gregg
FASTK's Tacoma Gallery
+ 2 on buying a used bike if all you have to spend is $500. For that money you will get a better frame but scratched, better components but used and way better suspension fork but in need of maintenance.

Buy a low end mountain bike and $500 is very low end, you be much happier with a used bike and be able to resell it for closer to what you paid than buying a new one.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
I would also look at a used bike. I have a cannondale from when I was younger...I love that bike.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a buddy who can hook you up with some advice and can come and see a couple with you, try and buy used for your first bike. There are some really great deals out there on bikes that will cost the same as your budget but work so much better. $500 sounds like a lot, but it is very much entry level. Suspension is pretty much there for looks at that price unless you buy used. Plus, if you decide you like it a lot and start feeling like $4000 really isn't that unreasonable for a bike, you can sell your 1st bike for close to what you paid for it. Or keep it and start your collection from there. Remember, the perfect number of bikes is equal to n+1 where n is the number you currently have.

But if you don't have anyone that can advise you on fit or quality/wear I would advise against used. The advice of getting fitted in a good bike shop from others here is sound advice. Some shops even have fit guarantees and service deals. Fit guarantee means they will change your stem, seat and bars for you in the first few months if you can't get comfortable with your setup.

Good decision giving it a go. I've been obsessed with riding since 1992 and have done very little else since. It's as addictive as crack but twice as expensive (and more likely to land you in hospital). But it's worth it.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #16
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
I have been riding for about 5 years and buying a used bike or building one is a great way to go. I picked up my latest bike for $700 used. Its a Norco Rampage.
http://www.norco.com/archives/2006/b...page&col=brown
Old 11-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #17
NumbNutts will become famous soon enough

Name: Josh
NumbNutts's Tacoma Gallery
I have been riding for mountain biking for 15 years and have went through several bikes in that time. I always tell people to buy something in the $800 to $1200(if you can afford it) dollar range for you first bike cause you will get more for your dollar and you will be less likely to want to upgrade some parts cause most of the parts will be decent parts to begin with. In that price you get lighter tires(kevlar bead), a decent hydro disc brake or a really good mechanical brake(cable actuated), nicer set of wheels, and a better fork. Now is the time to buy because InterBike was a little over a month ago so all the new 2011 stuff is starting to trickle in so all of last years stuff is up for grabs a 30-70% off. And in the price range your looking at not much changes from year to year except color choices and graphics. Mountain biking is addicting so if you really get into it plan on spending 4 to 6 grand on your next bike, it's expensive but for me well worth it. I also say buy from a local bike dealer if you don't know the basics of bike maintenance and setup and not online cause when you need support they will be there for you, online you are on your own. Good luck and RIDE ON!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbNutts View Post
I have been riding for mountain biking for 15 years and have went through several bikes in that time. I always tell people to buy something in the $800 to $1200(if you can afford it) dollar range for you first bike cause you will get more for your dollar and you will be less likely to want to upgrade some parts cause most of the parts will be decent parts to begin with. In that price you get lighter tires(kevlar bead), a decent hydro disc brake or a really good mechanical brake(cable actuated), nicer set of wheels, and a better fork. Now is the time to buy because InterBike was a little over a month ago so all the new 2011 stuff is starting to trickle in so all of last years stuff is up for grabs a 30-70% off. And in the price range your looking at not much changes from year to year except color choices and graphics. Mountain biking is addicting so if you really get into it plan on spending 4 to 6 grand on your next bike, it's expensive but for me well worth it. I also say buy from a local bike dealer if you don't know the basics of bike maintenance and setup and not online cause when you need support they will be there for you, online you are on your own. Good luck and RIDE ON!
what he said! I have an 04 specialized rockhopper. Got it brand new for ~$800 Since then, I have upgraded almost every part but the handlebars, stem, seat post and crank. Get something with disc brakes (hydros are great... I have avid bb7 (mechanical) and I hate them (almost prefer rim brakes))

Good luck and let us know what you decide!