Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Bone fusion?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Bone fusion?

Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone on here had any information on bone fusions. My dad has I guess 3 degenerated discs in his lower back, and the doctors are recommending he get a bone fusion done to fix them.

He asked me to find out what I could about it, so i turn to you guys

Anyone on here have any info good or bad about the procedure?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledvl View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone on here had any information on bone fusions. My dad has I guess 3 degenerated discs in his lower back, and the doctors are recommending he get a bone fusion done to fix them.

He asked me to find out what I could about it, so i turn to you guys

Anyone on here have any info good or bad about the procedure?
I thought they had done away with bone fusion and can put a replacement disc in.

I have my L4,L5,and S1 fused togther. Had it done 20 years ago. I have cadaver/doner bone in me as well.. I spent the good part of 4.5 mo's in bed to heal after surgery, then at least 18 mo's to get my full strength back. All I can say is the Dr. I had knew to make me take the time to heal. He was also the 3rd Dr. I had been to before I knew I was talking to the right person to do the work. Before surgery I could barely walk 20 feet, now I walk, run (marathon), backpack. off road motorcycle etc.... It has been very successful for me. granted I was 27 at the time, in good shape and I still am at 47. I know people that have had nothing but problems after surgery all of them were back at work in 3 weeks and mostly suffering from dunlaps disease(if you know what i mean). Hope this helps, just my experience in a nut shell.

Paul
Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Just had a guy at work get 2 vertebrae fuzed.
Said implanting new disk too risky.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the info, my dad is going ahead with getting it done. Supposed to get it done March 8th, so well see how it goes.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
ride BMX!

Little update

He got the procedure done march 8th at 6am, spent 5 days in the hospital, they released him as everything looked good.

Its going on 4 weeks since and hes still not able to do much, he has been able to drive and get out the house some but its still very risky. He says his back feels great and hes making steady progress, they told hiim 6-8 months before he will be back to normal.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Great report Eric. Sounds as if he's doing well. I think a fusion is a good tried and true procedure for many with back pain so good luck to your dad and u. Hopefully your dad will be faithful with a core strength and fitness program to protect the fused levels above and below the surgical site. Cheers!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
ride BMX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Great report Eric. Sounds as if he's doing well. I think a fusion is a good tried and true procedure for many with back pain so good luck to your dad and u. Hopefully your dad will be faithful with a core strength and fitness program to protect the fused levels above and below the surgical site. Cheers!

Thanks for the words! Hes been spending his days researching different excerise equipment for when hes able to use them, hopefully he really stays with it.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
HDTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: HD
HDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How is your father doing after this much time has passed?