1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Official Gym & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'Health' started by TyT, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Dec 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Put meat in pot, turn on, wait a few hours...eat food.

2. Dec 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    I see HIIT and cardio as two separate beasts.

3. Dec 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    What about hiit cardio?

4. Dec 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Like mentioned prior, if you do a legit high intensity intervals or metcons, you're going to be too smoked to do any type of workout after worth a damn. Hell, when I do row sprints, I can barely make it to my truck. Yet, it also depends on how much you are able to push yourself. Some people just can't push through, and don't really reach the point of complete exhaustion.

If you want to do some type of HIIT or metcons, do your lifting before. Be careful though. I'd only go all out once, maybe twice a week. Then the other times take it a little bit slower. You will destroy yourself going too crazy.

Also, another method is to do you quick metcons after your workout. So lets say you do a normal lifting day, but just cut it short about 5-10 mins. Then do like a 5-7 min metcon. That way you're not completely smoking yourself, but you're still getting in that FML feeling.

Last, but not least. SPRINTS. You want to talk about getting cut. There's a reason why you never see a fat sprinter.

5. Dec 3, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    t4r4life

t4r4life poptard and protein farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    1998 Toyota 4runner
    panty dropping mod
    For real every time i watch the Olympics im always like "that gay dude is shredded"

6. Dec 4, 2013 at 4:53 AM
    quantum

quantum Well-Known Member

Member:
    1. remove casings and cook hot italian sausage about half way
    2. when they are about halfway done, add chopped garlic, sliced peppers and onions and sauté until they start to brown
    3. add diced tomatoes, chopped spinach, and cannelloni beans (artichokes, too, if you want....i add jalepenos too sometimes)
    4. season with fresh basil, pepper, oregano, (red pepper and salt if you want)
    5. simmer until tomatoes are soft and water is mostly gone (if you want, add some pasta sauce to it)
    6. eat it like that, or with some tri-color pasta/low carb pasta

7. Dec 4, 2013 at 5:36 AM
    zacharypaul89

zacharypaul89 Eat right, be fit, die anyway

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Trd Offroad
    I'm referring to something like this:

Just like 20 mins on the treadmill, 10 going hard as fuck and 10 walking. You sprint a minute, you walk a minute, up to 20 mins. I've been doing this before workouts for like 3 weeks and am fine. I'm not talking about crazy, burnout, crawl to the car HIIT...just like 20 mins of cardio, split into short bursts of high intensity and rest periods.

^^^ This is spot on haha

I would drag my dick through broken glass to see dat ass

8. Dec 4, 2013 at 5:41 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    haha still hiit... here's the way I see it

HIIT - high intensity interval training
    LISS - low intensity steady state

each has their pros and cons.... LISS i feel you can do before or after a workout (I actually warmup w/LISS before every workout: 5-10m treadmill walk at a 2 incline going 4 mph)

do what you think is best haha you heard all of us

9. Dec 4, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Well, I'm more-or-less asking...what's the problem with running before/after a workout? I don't see much damage coming from a 20 minute treadmill session right before a workout. It'd be only 10 mins of high-intensity cardio and 10 mins of low-intensity cardio. My weightlifting hasn't suffered from it, but are there any real cons from doing this? I understand that doing a 45 min HIIT workout and then doing a lifting session isn't good, but what's wrong with what I suggested? I'm not defending it or anything, just legitimately asking

10. Dec 4, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
  11. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    You need to think what it does to your body... right now you may feel okay but high intense workouts are meant to be that... HIIT puts a lot of demand on your CNS (central nervous system) and requires a lot of energy to actually perform. The reason why body builders do hiit is because it can cut fat while retaining muscle when done right... All Im saying is listen to your body... I know damn well my body wont perform half as well after a cardio session just before I lift. Lifting heavily and properly is demanding enough on the body, add in HIIT just before, sounds like trouble to me. Maybe not now but in the long run... my .02

edit: I also think cardio AFTER is never a bad idea... just listen to your bod.... If Im feeling saucy after my workout Ill throw in some LISS... but just enough to keep my heart pumping (you should be ale to hold a conversation whilst breathing hard) for about 10-15m

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  12. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    So, what about, rather than doing the HIIT cardio on my workout days, do them on 2 of my off-days, like so:

Mon: chest n tri's
    Tue: HIIT cardio
    Wed: back n bi's
    Thurs: HIIT cardio
    Fri: shoulders
    Sat: legs
    Sun: off

I'm always down for trying new shit on a cut, as I've never been below about 9% bf after a cut. I've got bulking down 100%, but I'm always open to new cutting ideas. This go around, I definitely plan on intermittent fasting again, maybe doing a mild keto, but really need to figure out my cardio shit.

13. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    why not combine legs and shoulders onto friday and then do another day of HIIT on saturday?

14. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    I say try that.. honestly that looks good and kind of looks like my split.... Also if you wanted you could take one of your normal lift days and make it a high rep med. weight day with less rest time to get your heart going.. I do that too

IMHO too much HIIT... gotta let the body rest.. and if you do it right HIIT can be yet another leg workout if you hit it hard enough... so really it'd be like 3 leg days a week if he goes hard with sprints

15. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    HIIT EVERYDAY jk lol went to the gym and did chest and tri's yesterday. shit sucks without pre workout :(

16. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    :bananadead:

17. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    no but really isnt that what insanity is? HIIT errday

18. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Yup but thats a different workout... you burn fat.... it works but you wont gain muscle unless you eat a lot... but that's the same thing with p90x... its meant to get you cut and not fat

edit: they both work amazingly! I did both and they're awesome... just meant for different goals

p90x - cut weight gain some muscle (basically a get started routine to fitness)
    insanity - cut weight gain endurance but little to no weighted exercise other than body weight
    p90x2 - sports fitness and injury prevention
    insanity asylum - sports fitness and sports endurance

19. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Cool. That's what I'm gonna do, then!

You ever try keto? I've heard of a lot of guys on BB doing that while doing IF and getting great results. Pretty much low/no carbs Mon-Fri afternoon and Fri afternoon-Saturday night, refeed and eat carbs like a muh-fukka.

I've tapered off pre-workouts to where I don't even need them anymore. Mo money in my pocket for food and protein!

20. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    meh i just started back in the gym so pre-work out is needed for the little "kick" that i need to get started again lol. still went HAM but felt like shit the whole time

Products Discussed in

To Top