Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

The Official Gym / Fitness Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #21421
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharypaul89 View Post
I just don't think there's comparing isolated ab movements to real, proven exercises. I know a few guys that follow the Westside workouts and all they do in the gym are variations of squats, deads, pullups, and stuff like that and they're strong as shit, as well as ripped. Again, I still do stuff like leg raises, planks, and weighted twists a few times a week, but I feel that I get more from more traditional workouts like squats.

Moving on, I fucking hate front squats! Every time I think I'm making leaps and bounds on squats, I do front squats and get put in check and feel like a bitch. I really need to do them more. I've really been liking the hack squats though. The peaks on my quads have been popping since I've started doing those
I have a love/hate relationship with front squats. I feel like a beast when I squat and like a little girl with front squats, but I like doing them. I like them because it's a good way for me to work my core without have to isolate it.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #21422
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
Exactly. Sean's focus is and will almost always be stage appearance... which is why we don't get along.

All about illusion
Old 06-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #21423
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTaco View Post
^He must lift baby weights
Not sure if srs? if so, dick move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE STRAIT View Post
Am I the only one who thinks test boosters are snake oil? If they barely help bring test up as a pct, why would they boost it if it's already at baseline?
They help you shoot a bigger load...other than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with front squats. I feel like a beast when I squat and like a little girl with front squats, but I like doing them. I like them because it's a good way for me to work my core without have to isolate it.

I need to focus more on front squats. I never knew how unflexible I was untill I started trying them. I have to slightly elevate my heals to be able to perform them.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #21424
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Read this this morning about good leg workouts. Pretty good info:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw25.htm
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #21425
Professional Threadjacker
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
Chopper678's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
I disagree.
Why add weight to squats when u want to focus on the weight actually working for u - as in ur legs? So why spend time focusing on ur core, when u should be focusing on the movement itself?

I know a few guys that did indirectly trained abs with squats and are disappointed with the results they had come stage....they started training them directly the 'popped' more.

Pull-ups - focus on squeezing the lats, not the core?

Just my .02....or .03.
Just saying, I do feel like my abs get a workout from pullups. Maybe doing a different grip? idk
Old 06-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #21426
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper678 View Post
Just saying, I do feel like my abs get a workout from pullups. Maybe doing a different grip? idk
Sounds like you may be using your body to assist with pulling up?

You should go as wide as you can, your body should not be moving, pull yourself up, hold for a sec, lower yourself down. If your body is swaying have a partner steady you, then pull yourself back up. That will get you full benefit of the exercise.

You do have to keep your core tight.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #21427
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
How many of your guys train to failure with your sets, i don't do that with deadlift and bench but on overhead press and sometimes squats, i like to make sure i couldn't get another rep in if my family's life depends on it. Love that grind of the last rep.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #21428
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4r4life View Post
How many of your guys train to failure with your sets, i don't do that with deadlift and bench but on overhead press and sometimes squats, i like to make sure i couldn't get another rep in if my family's life depends on it. Love that grind of the last rep.
I always do. If I'm trying to do 3 sets of 10, I make sure the 10th one is the absolute last one I can do. If I can do more, I do as many as I can until I can't do anymore and then add weight on the next set to try and only be able to do 10-12. If I can't make it to 10 and can only do around 6, I do as many as I can and then decrease the weight on the next set to try and get around 10.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #21429
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Not sure if srs? if so, dick move.
No, I was not being serious.

Quote:
Very seldom, failure for me is normally piss poor form. I'll go until I can't keep everything tight. I normally always work towards a 3rm however. I know a guy that trains to failure but his form is near perfect on all sets. Not sure how he does it. My flight or fight kicks in and I do what I have to to get the weight up .
Old 06-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #21430

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTaco View Post
No, I was not being serious.

Very seldom, failure for me is normally piss poor form. I'll go until I can't keep everything tight. I normally always work towards a 3rm however. I know a guy that trains to failure but his form is near perfect on all sets. Not sure how he does it. My flight or fight kicks in and I do what I have to to get the weight up .
My last rep on all my stuff looks like I'm having a stroke. I keep good form until I absolutely have to compromise form and then I know to stop.

On stuff like squats and deads and bench, I'm a lot more careful because screwing up in those depts and equal a trip to snap city.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #21431
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
irritated my old back injuries this week, not happy.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #21432
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Sounds like you may be using your body to assist with pulling up?

You should go as wide as you can, your body should not be moving, pull yourself up, hold for a sec, lower yourself down. If your body is swaying have a partner steady you, then pull yourself back up. That will get you full benefit of the exercise.

You do have to keep your core tight.
I try not to sway by doing very slow pullups. I can't do wide grips anymore Not since I stopped working out for school. My abs just feel very tightened when I do certain pullups, they may just be undertrained.

Quote:
I am trying to get better at that
Old 06-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #21434
Internet Winner
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
I go to failure if I have a spot, otherwise things get real awkward
I tend to make big booming sounds when I go to failure
Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #21435
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I found an awesome food website. Put in how many calories you need and how many meals you want and it will make a meal plan for you.

http://www.eatthismuch.com/
Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #21436
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper678 View Post
perpendicular straight-leg pullups are..mean
Old 06-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #21437
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
irritated my old back injuries this week, not happy.
Shit I can relate. Over memorial day I was running and jumping and managed to body slam myself on some rocks. Fucking destroyed my back and neck. A week and a half later and I am finally moving more normally.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #21438
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
I found an awesome food website. Put in how many calories you need and how many meals you want and it will make a meal plan for you.

http://www.eatthismuch.com/

I don't agree. Everyone has a different BMR, and burns cals at a different rate...it cannot calculate how much u truly need...maybe as as a starting point to keep you going, but since we all respond differently, and burn energy at a different rate...
Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #21439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
perpendicular straight-leg pullups are..mean
You have fun with that. Lol not for me
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #21440
Jhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Jhodgman's Tacoma Gallery
I would say under, if I understand your question right, legs under you is gonna be more focused on quads and legs out in front is gonna focus more on hams

Products Discussed in this Thread