1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Official Gym & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'Health' started by TyT, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jun 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    HamerMan

HamerMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '02 prerunner
    Not racetruck
    I've got a question I hope you guys can answer. When you drink a protien shake after a solid workout, how many grams of the protien that your taking actually gets absorbed by your body?

2. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    Depends on the type of protein

3. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    HamerMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '02 prerunner
    Not racetruck
    Well I have combat powder which is a mix of three kinds of whey and one casein

4. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    JordanSmith127

JordanSmith127 Jordemo805@yahoo.com

Member:
    First Name:
    JORDAN
    SAN LUIS OBISPO & MARIN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    ICON / LSK
    all of it gets absorbed just not all of it goes to your muscles depending on the amount, just like any macro nutrient. but whatever doesn't get used either for energy, to repair muscle or the small amount of energy thats used to break the protein into BCAAs the excess always gets stored as fat, you don't just pee it out like you do most micros. but your body can only use so much protein for building muscle, and the point of taking it after a workout is because your muscles are freshly "injured" and need protein to repair them. If i remember the number correctly a patient recovering from surgery only can absorb like 1.4 or maybe 1.8g of protein per KG of body weight NOT POUND! and no workout you do is gona need as much protein to recover from then a recovering surgery patient. theres other reasonings for high protein diets but when people get the idea that eating a bunch of protein is gona make them huge its not necessarily the case.

5. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    20/30 I believe? The extra will circulate for a while and as brotein carriers become available more AA will be absorbed.

after a workout have a shake cause the 15-25 minute window will be when you best absorb it. The the next protein meal have a good amount of fiber to slow everything down. (I dig mexican food w/brown (or black) rice, black beans and a whole wheat tortilla w/what ever else you want in it)

The longer it stays in your gut (before turning to poop) the more you will absorb. Fat also slows down digestion but fiber is healthier.

6. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    zacharypaul89

zacharypaul89 Eat right, be fit, die anyway

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Trd Offroad
    I've heard anything over 70g at once and some will get wasted, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Contrarily, a big-ass steak can be up to 100+ grams and humans have been eating that for thousands of years. My post-workout shakes are about 60g and I consume at least 200 g daily.

On a separate topic, since beginning my cut, I'm down 18 lbs from 200 to 182. I've been steadily losing about 1 lb a week and started out at a 500 cal deficit and am at about a 650 cal deficit now b/c my weight loss is stalling. I'm going until mid-July and my ass is bulking back up. I feel like a bitch at 182 lbs, although the only thing that has decreased is my max on bench and my waist size. My arms/chest/shoulders/etc all stayed the same size, since my calorie deficit was so small. I'd much rather do a slow cut and preserve as much muscle as possible. I'd say I'm at around 11-11.5% bf right now. Still no clear 6 pack, but getting there.

7. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I've been reading lots of articles lately that say the "anabolic/catabolic window" and protein timing is a bunch of bullshit. For the most part, as long as your macros are hit by the end of the day, it doesn't matter when they're consumed. I've gone hours without consuming protein after a workout and my muscles didn't fall off. I think glycogen-replacement is more important than protein intake post-workout.

Then again, I could be wrong.

8. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    JordanSmith127

Member:
    First Name:
    JORDAN
    SAN LUIS OBISPO & MARIN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    ICON / LSK
    the "anabolic/catabolic window" makes sense to me but iv heard both that its a must and that it doesn't do shit and when people ask i usually just say to do it that way to be safe.

but i personally don't do it ha i think calories for the most part are based on a 24 hour period, i almost never take a protein shake after a workout but always eat either a mini pack of costco black forrest gummy bears or have a few pixie sticks after a workout haha then ill eat an actual meal and end that with downing a whey shake...and like you said my muscles haven't fallen of either :not sure:

every single nutrition class, personal training cert and KINE class iv ever taken all say different things about nutrition and everyone seems to have studys with different results, its like fucking religion haha. i think the best thing with nutrition is to find out what works best for yourself and then go off that, what works for someone doesn't always work for everyone.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  9. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    because a lot of the studies aren't really "scientific" studies as much as "Hey we'll give you some money to see whether ______ does ______"

to confirm that there was no link between autism and vaccines, thousands of case studies were examined then the results compiled, edited, peer reviewed, peer reviewed, peer reviewed again, then published

I doubt "DRINK OUR SHIT, A LOT OF OUR SHIT, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!! (study proven)"
    is really study proven

10. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    exactly. I always do a post-workout shake b/c I always have, but if I miss one, I don't think I'm gonna go into catabolic shock. I don't think the guru's know what they're talking about b/c the "studies" they do are always so fucked up and don't follow the scientific method and they get one result proving what they're looking for and automatically validate it. The only think I know that works 100% is eating over maintenance = gain weight and eating below maintenance = lose weight

11. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    this x 10000000

and this is why the only supps I take are protein and creatine (and BCAA's right now b/c cutting). Fuck all that other crap

12. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    That's why I strongly agree with the "do whatever the fuck you wanna do"

13. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
  14. Jun 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    JordanSmith127

Member:
    First Name:
    JORDAN
    SAN LUIS OBISPO & MARIN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    ICON / LSK
  15. Jun 25, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    HamerMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '02 prerunner
    Not racetruck
    So if you take 50 grams of the whey/casein protien, you could expect between 30 and 40 to be absorbed by your muscles?

16. Jun 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift

Same as my bench :anonymous: should be a lot more... My legs are small and weak. I pulled 315 on DL easily last week. I'd say I'm somewhere between 335-350 on them.

I've never done a "real" cut before. I just want to drop some BF by the end of summer. Try to get as shredded as I can (while still lifting as heavy as I can), then bulk like a mad man all winter.

I've got more of a "stomach" than I want. And if I could burn off some of my love handles I'd have a decent v taper...but those cocksuckers won't leave. So I'm tryin this out. Just for the next month or 2. Then, after I get tired of it, I'll be eating 3000-3500 calories tryin to get up to 165 lbs at least.

17. Jun 25, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast

One thing I have heard consistently is replace the carbs you burn. I had an exercise phys guru of a instructor say "the best post workout meal is a jelly and tuna fish sandwich on white bread". He has a disgusting amount of certifications as well.

But the underlined is what I do this is pretty much what I do. There is usually a pbj somewhere on me or in my car waiting :spy:

I did pick up a book though :D

[​IMG]

It is a few years olf (2008 I think?), but should give some interesting things to look into. Once I finish training for a job I'm gunna dive into it. it's only 220 pages or so.

18. Jun 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid

Probably, but honestly, don't think about it too much. Just work your ass off in the gym and try to eat more than you normally would. 95 percent of results come from hard work and food

19. Jun 25, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    My old lady is killing it on FB lately.
    [​IMG]

20. Jun 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Hahaha I love some IIFYM....I actually take my finger and get all the greek yogurt out of the bottom of the cup :anonymous:

Products Discussed in

To Top