1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Official Gym & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'Health' started by TyT, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    after I am past my bike accident issues I am applying for emt school, then going to use that as experience (and a "paycheck" if you can call it that) so i can get go to pa school for emergency med :D

2. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    I can't wait to go to pharmacy school, I need to hurry up with my BS before I get too old. Lol idk my 23rd bday hit me hard. Dunno why. Lol

3. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    t4r4life

t4r4life poptard and protein farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    1998 Toyota 4runner
    panty dropping mod
    now that's a hard field to get into
    sometimes i have to remember how much of a bro you are
    lol

4. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    Back to gym shiz, I tried mr.hyde and it was awesome for a pre

5. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    t4r4life

t4r4life poptard and protein farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    1998 Toyota 4runner
    panty dropping mod
    i tried it once, too much for me, i couldn't go to sleep still 5am, took it at noon

6. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    if wanting to do a good sub zero for halloween makes me a bro, then for the next two months I will be a bro

gotta go get more black socks

7. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    HamerMan

HamerMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '02 prerunner
    Not racetruck
    I gave up on pres. Gave it a couple weeks rest and now I don't feel it anymore

8. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    Your 17 and in HS don't take pres! BTW I went to evit :)

9. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    True story. Hit it hard this evenin. Only gonna be able to go 3 days this week, so I'm hittin back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders/legs. If I can put a bar on my shoulders. This sun burn is killing me. ROASTED my shoulders.

10. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    HamerMan

HamerMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '02 prerunner
    Not racetruck
    EVIT is cool. I took appart a turbo on Friday. I won't be able to eat dirty anymore... I'm leaving sonic soon.

11. Sep 2, 2014 at 5:07 AM
    zacharypaul89

zacharypaul89 Eat right, be fit, die anyway

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Trd Offroad
    Don't feel bad. I took 2 years off in between my freshman and sophomore year, so I'm 25 and about to graduate. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Still can't decide between Macho Man, Hulk Hogan, or Stone Cold Steve Austin….probably gonna go with the Hulkster, brother #ilovehalloween

I did that for about a year…now I'm addicted again. Gonna take a couple weeks off when I run out of Assault

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nZ1v96-veM

12. Sep 2, 2014 at 5:28 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    Morning team!

Hit Chest today and felt really good about it

Incline 12 12 12 11 > 115 115 135 135 (last rep my fn shoulder failed:angry:)
    Decline 12 8 12 5 > 135 185 135 185 (wanted to get some heavy reps in)
    push ups 12 12 12 12
    Flat bench Cable flyes 12 12 12 12 > 15 15 20 (dropped to 15 to get 2 more) 20

13. Sep 2, 2014 at 5:45 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Alright, gentlemen…I was reading on the bb forums last night and read a bunch of true stuff, a bunch of bullshit, and everything in between. The following is what I regard as true via personal experience, actual legitamate studies (not supplement-sponsored ones), articles from doctors with no ulterior motives, etc.

I was reading last night about protein and overall macro timing and it's been regarded here lately that overall macro timing ins't as important as we used to think it was (nothing new here). It was once believed that you HAD to eat every 2 hours and that you could only effectively use ~30g protein at a time, which has been debunked…I mean, from an evolutionary standpoint, I don't think we'd be here if our ancestors could only eat 30g protein every 2 hrs. However, I still eat 7 meals a day, every 2 hours, simply because I can't eat big portions, so it's simpler to scarf it all down. Plus, I'm eating around 3500 calories a day and it's easier to consume that if broken up into smaller meals.

I also was reading about sleep and catabolism and how it used to be a myth that you need to consume protein and high GI carbs immediately upon waking up in order to stop your body from being in a catabolic fasted state and to replenish glycogen stores; Lean Gains has proven this to be false, as well. When adhering to a proper diet, your body won't go catabolic until 24-48 hrs after your last meal and that some dense meals can take up to 10 hours to fully digest.

This led me to insulin and the effects of high and low GI carbs on the body. Being a follower of IIFYM, I already knew from experience that the glycemic index is completely useless if you're not a diabetic or have pancreas issues. A carb is a carb is a carb. You body isn't going to use 70 grams of brown rice any differently than it would 70 grams of Coca Cola. THAT BEING SAID, brown rice does have other benefits that Coca Cola does not, i.e. micronutrients. Where low and high GI carbs DO play a role in normal, healthy humans is with energy levels: consuming high GI carbs all day are going to make your blood sugar levels fluctuate, which means drops and spikes in your energy levels; that's it. If you're a normal, healthy person, high GI foods, IN MODERATION, aren't going to do anything but screw with your energy levels.

On a related note, when folks see me eating at the gym, I always hear things like,:

"Dude, you're drinking a Coke?!"
    "You're eating hamburger helper?!"
    "Is that processed, packaged deli meat?!"
    etc.

Yes to all! If I had to eat 100% clean to be fit and look good, I'd kill myself. It's a proven scientific fact that people don't actually like vegetables. Why the fuck would you eat your weight in something you hate?! Do you know how little food it takes to hit your daily micronutrient needs? I hit over 150% of every one of my micronutrient needs and I enjoy every single food I eat in the day. Granted, I do eat 1 salad, 1 serving of strawberries, a banana, and a potato each day; this doesn't mean you've got to eat legumes and kale with every meal lol. Bodybuilders do need more than the RDA, but not 1000% more. A couple servings of vegetables and fruit a day is more than enough…not to mention, if you throw in a multi-vitamin, which I don't.

Lastly, and relating to macronutrient timing again, I read about carbs before bed and overall pre-bedtime snacking. From experience, I can say carbs before bed doesn't matter one bit. I eat my last meal 2 hrs before bed and it consists of a baked potato and a whole bagel…with grape jelly. In regards to pre-bedtime snacks, it's always been thought that a casein shake, cottage cheese, any dairy, or any protein + fat source to make food digest slower, giving you a slow release of macronutrients, namely protein, while you sleep all night. I think this is bro-science, as well. As stated above, as long as daily macros are hit, it doesn't matter if you have protein being slowly digested in the middle of the night. That being said, I still eat a Greek yogurt and a cheese stick before bed every night.

The main points:

- macro-timing isn't that important…overall daily macros are…but it is easier FOR ME to eat 3500 calories every two hours, opposed to in 3 meals a day
    - you can certainly absorb more than 30g protein in one sitting
    - your body doesn't begin going catabolic after 8 hrs of sleep
    - carbs are carbs and the glycemic index is dumb………for the most part (don't forget about its effect on blood sugar/energy levels)
    - you don't need to eat your weight in broccoli to be healthy
    - carbs before bed doesn't matter
    - casein before bed doesn't matter….I think…I still adhere to be safe on this one :anonymous:

Thoughts? (Sorry guys, I'm bored)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  14. Sep 2, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    In reading.

I would agree to a certain extent. Granted I've never truly performed the research. But in regards to eating upon wakeup and eating before bed. I feel more responsive with food when I eat, my body is getting what it needs after a "fast" when youre sleeping. When I don't drink my casein at night I have poor sleep and when I wake up Im dehydrated and I just feel funky. But this is different for everyones body. I still believe in mini meals throughout the day and having snacks and couple shakes in the day. My body responds to that better. Is it broscience? Possibly, sure, yes... But do people have results? Yes. It's all about how your body responds to it and you can only know by doing and testing... Once you find what works you stick with it and live by it. IIFYM is your thing but may not be for others.

15. Sep 2, 2014 at 6:49 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:

True. I still eat small meals throughout the day, upon waking, and before bed, too. I don't take iifym to the extreme, though. I still eat relatively clean, but I do have some bad food in there as well Lol

16. Sep 2, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    I've been eating the same way for 24 years now and I've made plenty of great gains. I think some people tend to overthink things sometimes, especially the things that only make marginal differences, and only if EVERYTHING else is in line like your training program. Obviously it matters more for professional bodybuilders who literally compete to have as close to no fat as possible, but for the average guy who just wants to look good and be strong? Lifting weights is one of the most barbaric things we do as humans. Why complicate it? Just pick up some heavy shit. Repeat. Eat some food. Take a shit. Repeat lol

End rant.

[​IMG]

17. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    I think it's all about moderation and just enjoying... Sure sometimes you just need to see food as fuel and thats it, but you got to have fun with it too... I learned a lot on my first strict cut and I can find ways to make things fun and to enjoy it.. biggest thing is eating enough to not lose too much and keep strength

thats how im taking it right now... I wont be thinking about a compeition until after a year from now, im taking each day enjoying what I eat, keeping it healthy yet tasty and enjoying it.. then when i get into the gym lift heavy ass shit, put it down, get bigger... repeat! :flex:

18. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    zacharypaul89

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:

I agree. The industry had waaaay over complicated things

19. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger

some people think to be healthy you need to look like a bodybuilder... which, in fact, isnt healthy... being below 8-9% bf is un healthyyour body needs fat to survive... People are misinformed and feel like theyhave to go to the extremes

20. Sep 2, 2014 at 7:16 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    after about a month hiatus :anonymous: I started back at the gym this morning. Since Im running more I will only be doing the 5x5 strength program 3 days a week to save time.

Today was
    -Bench
    -bent over row
    -deadlifts
    then row machine for 1500 meters

Products Discussed in

To Top