1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EMTs/Nurses/Doctors- Stethoscopes

Discussion in 'Health' started by tanzak88, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Mar 21, 2011 at 12:38 AM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calling all EMT's/Paramedics, Nurses, Doctors...

Let's talk stethoscopes.

What do you use, what have you used, which do your prefer?

I have a basic Littmann Classic II, but am thinking of getting a Littmann 3200 Electronic. An ER nurse at our hospital has one and I just gave it a little test. HOLY EFF! Talk about amazing. Would be so nice to actually be able to auscultate a BP in the back of an ambulance bouncing down a road!

Anyone? :cool:

2. Mar 21, 2011 at 12:57 AM
    tanzak88

Member:
    Those things are crap. The automatic BP cuff, pulse ox etc things on a stick? Yeah, I don't like em....
    The electronic steths are pretty expensive, but when you're wanting to auscultate someones lungs, and they're obese and you can't hear.... you want to kick yourself in the ass. I would kill to have an electronic steth to hear those breath sounds.

3. Mar 21, 2011 at 1:12 AM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    I use a Littmann Master Cardiology black on black!

4. Mar 21, 2011 at 1:39 AM
    yotaman3130

yotaman3130 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ms
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    Kobalt low profile tool box, Toyota Roof Rack, K&N drop in air filter, Blue sea fuse panel, Streamlight mounted in glove box, NFAB step bars, FJ offrad rims
    I've got a littmann classic II. I really like it but one my buddies just got a littmann cardiology and it blew mine out of the water. I've never used an electric but I work in critical care and it's normally pretty quiet. I'm happy with my classic II but tempted to get a cardiology one day.

5. Mar 21, 2011 at 2:39 AM
    tanzak88

Member:
    I'm trying to decide, cardiology or electronic. The only downside to the electronic is working with pediatrics. The bell is so dang big. I guess you'll still hear what you need to hear, but could you imagine taking a BP on a 6 month old with a bell the size of a door knob?

6. Mar 21, 2011 at 3:04 AM
    Sport11

Sport11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Ram 1500
    I use a Littmann Classic II. I have heard that UltraScope makes a good one that I would be able to use in the chopper.

7. Mar 21, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    tanzak88

Member:
    Flight Paramedic or Nurse? Man I wanna get into that sooo bad. So much schooling though :(

I'm thinking of upgrading and throwing my Classic II into my personal kit. Any idea which UltraScope? I thought UltraScopes were very basic entry level ones?

8. Mar 21, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    wolfdog2314

wolfdog2314 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    Eibach coils. 5100's all around. AAL. WickedFlow
    Littmann classic II. Pramedic. Works fine for me.

For the most part I just palpate BP's while going down the road. I'll auscultate before or after transport.

9. Mar 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    Littman Cardiology II I like it. does its job when I need it.

10. Mar 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    had a couple littmans in my day. Classic II, the soft plastic one (whatever it's called ):eek: and was given a cardiology II, so I guess I will stick with that. :D Works fine for me. :)

11. Mar 24, 2011 at 1:06 AM
    tbone12

tbone12 j.o.w.c.o.

Member:
    First Name:
    Terra
    central valley california
    i'm a respiratory therapist. work on the floors and in the units. i use the classic II. trust me, if you're trying to auscultate a fat person you probably wont be able to hear much anyways!

12. Mar 24, 2011 at 1:57 AM
    m0nster986

m0nster986 ♥ Emergency Medicine

Member:
    SoCal
    I use a Prestige Medical and my hearing aid.

13. Mar 24, 2011 at 2:00 AM
    ratrod

ratrod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 with 1.5 AAL, Satoshi Grill Mod with 2 Hella 500s behind the grill, LED dome and map lights, custom made (by me) 10" subwoofer box behind the dbl cab seat, DVD/iPod/Bluetooth/GPS/TV/USB/Stereo, Yakima rack, Shell, tinted front windows to match the factory backs. Backup cam in the tailgate handle mod.
    Work in ER. Don't need stethoscope because they're all full of s! And have nothing wrong with them and the ones that are truly sick you can hear from a mile away! Actually I use the classic II which I've had for years and got for a give from some friends works great.

14. Mar 24, 2011 at 2:10 AM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    Littman Master Cardiologist III. FTW.

I also have tried to get in the habit of getting Baseline Lungsounds and BP Auscultated onscene, or in their house, before driving because its so frickin loud, you can waste a lot of time trying to ausculate BP on the road. thats where the NIBP on the LP12 earns its money. just press the button. or palp a BP. but you have to have that initial manual BP to make sure the NIBP isn't totally out of whack.

Like my one of my buddies said "that thing is so sensitive You can hear frogs farting in china!!!"

Edit:
    this website
    http://www.allheart.com/littmann2159.html

Has pretty good deals, but I definitely did not pay what they're asking. I must have gotten a group rate during P-school. I gotta say $ 190.00 is frickin Expensive!! IDK if I would pay that again.

We need the ' i dont make a doctors salary, but I still need really good ears' EMS model. for under $100

15. Mar 24, 2011 at 2:30 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Hey man I resemble that remark.

16. Mar 24, 2011 at 2:58 AM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    Something I read somewhere:

80% (!) of EMS stethoscopes have MRSA on them. (!!!)
    one more reason to carry your own,and nuke 'em with cavicide after every call. and wipe down the truck. and burn your clothes. Etc...

17. Apr 28, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    McTrauma

McTrauma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4X4
    I used a Littmann Master Cardiology when I was still in the field...

Works great (way better than my classic II). Don't get an electronic for field use, they only help you hear the road noise better :)

18. Apr 28, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Started off with a Sprague POS. Then went to the Littman Master Classic II while working EMS. Pretty good overall. It helps to keep the patient's arm on your leg if you're on the bench seat, really cuts down on the road noise being transmitted via the gurney.

Now I have the Master Cardiology III, working as a physician. Honestly, I can't say there's much difference for me. If the MC-3 hadn't been given to me, I would have been happy with my MC-2.

I also like the Welch Allyn stethoscopes. I played with them when the reps were out - seemed (for me) better sensitivity, but also a bit more fragile, and I didn't think you could find parts as easily as for the Littman line.

As for peds, my wife is a pediatrician. She does OK with the Master Cardiology 2 (the one with dual bells) and just flipping it over when she's in the NICU. If you're pure NICU, Littman makes a dedicated small scope.

JEMS had an article a few years ago about how contaminated stethoscopes are (for the patient). Really, they should be wiped down with every patient.

19. Apr 28, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    im an ER nurse, i had a Littman card II black on black and it was nice but the rubber got f'd up from the oils on my neck, so it cracked and broke after about 7 years. i just use a $20 one now and its fine. i need to head lung, heart and bowel sounds and verify tube placements. i highly doubt that i will ever spend $100+ again, just not worth it IMO. if you are a Dr or RT then maybe, but 99% nurses just dont need them. i have used them in ambulances and choppers and i can hear just fine, especially BP's, sometimes lung or heart sounds can be tough when its really loud, if i really couldnt get a BP i would just palpate it. IMO save your money

20. Apr 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    You do realize you'd actually used that stethoscope through the warranty period, right? Ie, it lasted "long enough."

Besides, rubber and body oils ALWAYS don't mix well.

I'm curious if your cheap stethoscope gets replaced, and if so, if the cheapies add up to the approx $150 that you spent once in 7 years

Products Discussed in

To Top