Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

EMTs/Nurses/Doctors- Stethoscopes

Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
EMTs/Nurses/Doctors- Stethoscopes

Calling all EMT's/Paramedics, Nurses, Doctors...

Let's talk stethoscopes.

What do you use, what have you used, which do your prefer?

I have a basic Littmann Classic II, but am thinking of getting a Littmann 3200 Electronic. An ER nurse at our hospital has one and I just gave it a little test. HOLY EFF! Talk about amazing. Would be so nice to actually be able to auscultate a BP in the back of an ambulance bouncing down a road!

Anyone?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
My god.........just looked at those prices.
I'm not I the back of a vehicle, so I just use some 40.00 good nuff steth.

I can imagine the pita of trying to get an accurate read when u have to fight the piece bouncing around.
More accurate than those stupid bp/pulse all in one r2d2 pieces oh crap?

I rlly don't like those all in one push button ones.
Those things are crap. The automatic BP cuff, pulse ox etc things on a stick? Yeah, I don't like em....
The electronic steths are pretty expensive, but when you're wanting to auscultate someones lungs, and they're obese and you can't hear.... you want to kick yourself in the ass. I would kill to have an electronic steth to hear those breath sounds.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
USFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Medical
Name: Jeff
USFCON's Tacoma Gallery
I use a Littmann Master Cardiology black on black!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
yotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: RN
Name: Ryan
yotaman3130's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a littmann classic II. I really like it but one my buddies just got a littmann cardiology and it blew mine out of the water. I've never used an electric but I work in critical care and it's normally pretty quiet. I'm happy with my classic II but tempted to get a cardiology one day.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #5

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman3130 View Post
I've got a littmann classic II. I really like it but one my buddies just got a littmann cardiology and it blew mine out of the water. I've never used an electric but I work in critical care and it's normally pretty quiet. I'm happy with my classic II but tempted to get a cardiology one day.
I'm trying to decide, cardiology or electronic. The only downside to the electronic is working with pediatrics. The bell is so dang big. I guess you'll still hear what you need to hear, but could you imagine taking a BP on a 6 month old with a bell the size of a door knob?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
I use a Littmann Classic II. I have heard that UltraScope makes a good one that I would be able to use in the chopper.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #7

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport11 View Post
I use a Littmann Classic II. I have heard that UltraScope makes a good one that I would be able to use in the chopper.
Flight Paramedic or Nurse? Man I wanna get into that sooo bad. So much schooling though

I'm thinking of upgrading and throwing my Classic II into my personal kit. Any idea which UltraScope? I thought UltraScopes were very basic entry level ones?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
wolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wolfdog2314's Tacoma Gallery
Littmann classic II. Pramedic. Works fine for me.

For the most part I just palpate BP's while going down the road. I'll auscultate before or after transport.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Littman Cardiology II I like it. does its job when I need it.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
j.o.w.c.o.
tbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Terra
tbone12's Tacoma Gallery
i'm a respiratory therapist. work on the floors and in the units. i use the classic II. trust me, if you're trying to auscultate a fat person you probably wont be able to hear much anyways!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #12
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
I use a Prestige Medical and my hearing aid.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
ratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ratrod's Tacoma Gallery
Work in ER. Don't need stethoscope because they're all full of s! And have nothing wrong with them and the ones that are truly sick you can hear from a mile away! Actually I use the classic II which I've had for years and got for a give from some friends works great.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #14
Abron Cabron
NewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic; Ski Patrol; River Guide
Name: Abraham
NewMexiTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Littman Master Cardiologist III. FTW.

I also have tried to get in the habit of getting Baseline Lungsounds and BP Auscultated onscene, or in their house, before driving because its so frickin loud, you can waste a lot of time trying to ausculate BP on the road. thats where the NIBP on the LP12 earns its money. just press the button. or palp a BP. but you have to have that initial manual BP to make sure the NIBP isn't totally out of whack.

Like my one of my buddies said "that thing is so sensitive You can hear frogs farting in china!!!"

Edit:
this website
http://www.allheart.com/littmann2159.html

Has pretty good deals, but I definitely did not pay what they're asking. I must have gotten a group rate during P-school. I gotta say $ 190.00 is frickin Expensive!! IDK if I would pay that again.

We need the ' i dont make a doctors salary, but I still need really good ears' EMS model. for under $100
Old 03-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #15
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone12 View Post
trust me, if you're trying to auscultate a fat person you probably wont be able to hear much anyways!
Hey man I resemble that remark.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #16
Abron Cabron
NewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic; Ski Patrol; River Guide
Name: Abraham
NewMexiTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Something I read somewhere:

80% (!) of EMS stethoscopes have MRSA on them. (!!!)
one more reason to carry your own,and nuke 'em with cavicide after every call. and wipe down the truck. and burn your clothes. Etc...
Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
McTrauma is on a distinguished road

Name: Daniel
McTrauma's Tacoma Gallery
I used a Littmann Master Cardiology when I was still in the field...

Works great (way better than my classic II). Don't get an electronic for field use, they only help you hear the road noise better
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Started off with a Sprague POS. Then went to the Littman Master Classic II while working EMS. Pretty good overall. It helps to keep the patient's arm on your leg if you're on the bench seat, really cuts down on the road noise being transmitted via the gurney.

Now I have the Master Cardiology III, working as a physician. Honestly, I can't say there's much difference for me. If the MC-3 hadn't been given to me, I would have been happy with my MC-2.

I also like the Welch Allyn stethoscopes. I played with them when the reps were out - seemed (for me) better sensitivity, but also a bit more fragile, and I didn't think you could find parts as easily as for the Littman line.

As for peds, my wife is a pediatrician. She does OK with the Master Cardiology 2 (the one with dual bells) and just flipping it over when she's in the NICU. If you're pure NICU, Littman makes a dedicated small scope.

JEMS had an article a few years ago about how contaminated stethoscopes are (for the patient). Really, they should be wiped down with every patient.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #19
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
im an ER nurse, i had a Littman card II black on black and it was nice but the rubber got f'd up from the oils on my neck, so it cracked and broke after about 7 years. i just use a $20 one now and its fine. i need to head lung, heart and bowel sounds and verify tube placements. i highly doubt that i will ever spend $100+ again, just not worth it IMO. if you are a Dr or RT then maybe, but 99% nurses just dont need them. i have used them in ambulances and choppers and i can hear just fine, especially BP's, sometimes lung or heart sounds can be tough when its really loud, if i really couldnt get a BP i would just palpate it. IMO save your money
Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #20
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
im an ER nurse, i had a Littman card II black on black and it was nice but the rubber got f'd up from the oils on my neck, so it cracked and broke after about 7 years. i just use a $20 one now and its fine. i need to head lung, heart and bowel sounds and verify tube placements. i highly doubt that i will ever spend $100+ again, just not worth it IMO. if you are a Dr or RT then maybe, but 99% nurses just dont need them. i have used them in ambulances and choppers and i can hear just fine, especially BP's, sometimes lung or heart sounds can be tough when its really loud, if i really couldnt get a BP i would just palpate it. IMO save your money
You do realize you'd actually used that stethoscope through the warranty period, right? Ie, it lasted "long enough."

Besides, rubber and body oils ALWAYS don't mix well.

I'm curious if your cheap stethoscope gets replaced, and if so, if the cheapies add up to the approx $150 that you spent once in 7 years