Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Best Home Gym For The Money

Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
qckslvr2234's Tacoma Gallery
Best Home Gym For The Money

I am looking at getting a home gym and was wondering what other people have had experience with. I am looking at a bowflex but was not sure if you can get a full workout on them.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Canadian Bacon
spares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spares's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO, save yourself the trouble and get a membership at the gym. I had a home gym collect dust for years.

To answer you question though, if i were to do it again, i would buy a rack, plate loaded bar, weights and a workable set of dumbells. Instead of the all-in-ones
Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Did think about that. Only problem is I have nobody to work out with and the wife cant help there.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spares View Post
IMHO, save yourself the trouble and get a membership at the gym. I had a home gym collect dust for years.

To answer you question though, if i were to do it again, i would buy a rack, plate loaded bar, weights and a workable set of dumbells. Instead of the all-in-ones
X2. SAVE YOUR MONEY. WENT FROM RUNNING 5-7 MILES A DAY AT THE GYM TO BUYING A TREADMILL AND NEVER RAN AGAIN.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
If you are set at being able to stay motivated at home i have a bunch of suggestions. My first is that you consider a set of powerblocks. Do not buy a bow flex, its garbage.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
doing it now
Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qckslvr2234 View Post
Did look at those too. Anybody try p90x?
my friend does it and loves it
Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
SWM has a brilliant futureSWM has a brilliant futureSWM has a brilliant futureSWM has a brilliant futureSWM has a brilliant futureSWM has a brilliant futureSWM has a brilliant futureSWM has a brilliant futureSWM has a brilliant futureSWM has a brilliant futureSWM has a brilliant future
Name: Sean
SWM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did look at those too. Anybody try p90x?
p90x is great. it really kicks your butt.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I work out 4-5 days a week for the last 25 yrs. I would go to a gym and do your work outs. They have all the equiptment you need so you are able to change up your routines and stay motivated. After you do this a while, you will find out what equiptment works best for you. Free weights, barbell/dumbell and adjustable bench can cover alot of body areas. Don't forget cardio. I have bought and sold equiptment for home use and if you want to do that, fine. I find more motivation going to the gym and working out around other people. Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #12

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDTACO View Post
I work out 4-5 days a week for the last 25 yrs. I would go to a gym and do your work outs. They have all the equiptment you need so you are able to change up your routines and stay motivated. After you do this a while, you will find out what equiptment works best for you. Free weights, barbell/dumbell and adjustable bench can cover alot of body areas. Don't forget cardio. I have bought and sold equiptment for home use and if you want to do that, fine. I find more motivation going to the gym and working out around other people. Hope this helps.

I just hate paying for a membership with a committment. All the gyms around here have year long committments and with my work schedule it is hard to get there. Dont want to waste my money one month.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am looking at getting a home gym and was wondering what other people have had experience with. I am looking at a bowflex but was not sure if you can get a full workout on them.

Any thoughts?
well, no can honestly answer this question until you state the amount of space you have available, and your budget.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #14
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWM View Post
p90x is great. it really kicks your butt.
i would go for this for starters... not that expensive (buy a used one off ebay) - and see how dedicated you are, if you can stick with it. if not...
great program, will really get you into serious shape. but will you commit??
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #15
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Might try that then. Do you need anything special?
To go to a gym?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #16
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I've mostly worked out at home through the years, but I work out at home exclusively these days now that I have a solid setup that works for me.

A good, tall squat rack, bench with adjustments from decline to full upright, 2 sets of dumbbells, easy-curl bar, full width bar, and plates cover 99% of my needs. I specify a tall squat rack for doing pull ups.

Especially if buying used, you can get this setup for well under $500-$750 in new condition. Go to your local tack shop and buy some rubber horse stall mats to protect the floor and you're set.

You're responsible for bringing the motivation. A large mirror on the wall does help.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #17

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDTACO View Post
To go to a gym?
Sorry I went to respond to another response before I read yours?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #18
thevelvetteen is on a distinguished road

Name: Joey
thevelvetteen's Tacoma Gallery
P90X, all you need is a set of resistance bands, pull up bar, and a mat. Best workouts I've ever done. It goes back to the basics, cardio, pushing and pulling, leg exercises, yoga (I know, yoga is kinda cheesy, but not the way P90X does it), and stretching.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #19

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
well, no can honestly answer this question until you state the amount of space you have available, and your budget.
Space is not a real issue as I have a full basement that is not finished. Budget is though. As far as committment, I know how I use to be 140 lbs and 4% body fat. Now that I have been out of it for 2-2.5 years I cant stand it. That is enough for me to be committed.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #20

RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry I went to respond to another response before I read yours?
Hey no problem.

Most of the gyms in my area are pay as you go, and I can understand you concern for a long term commitment to gym payments. You can set yourself up with a good home setup, but you just need to be selective on what you buy. mjp2 has some good info.