Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Torn/aggrivated rotator cuff :(

Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Torn/aggrivated rotator cuff :(

how long does an either torn or aggrivated rotator cuff take to heal? it hurts like a bitch and i can barely move my arm... the doc said the x-rays should be done monday so they can tell me if its torn, frayed or just strained. they gave me a cordizone shot today though..

any ideas to aleviate the pain? i know if i get my adrenaline pumping i cant feel it :P
Old 03-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Torn Rotator Cuff will not show up on an X-ray, only on a MRI.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Ice pack, limited movement and pain meds
Old 03-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel1274 View Post
Torn Rotator Cuff will not show up on an X-ray, only on a MRI.
they said x-ray because its a harder tendon and itll show hairline cracks. lol im tryin to limit movement as much as possible but i do way too much crap
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Additionally Coritzone Steroid shots limit the blood flow to the affected site. So don't be going in there and keep getting them like free samples at Costco on a Sunday. It'll take far longer to heal and will actually end up causing it to atrophy.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt have a torn rotator cuff but i did tear my labrium (i dont know if thats spelled right) from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock - top to bottom - from dislocating while snow boarding and only showed up on MRI and had to have surgery to re-connect and 3 screws inserted. about 4 months in a pretty beastly sling and 9 months of therapy...
good luck man, it sucked
Old 03-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Additionally Coritzone Steroid shots limit the blood flow to the affected site. So don't be going in there and keep getting them like free samples at Costco on a Sunday. It'll take far longer to heal and will actually end up causing it to atrophy.
haha howd you know im a drug mule, lol just kidding, would you reccomend any chiropractic stuff to help it?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
est thing to do is rest it
Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
how long does an either torn or aggrivated rotator cuff take to heal? it hurts like a bitch and i can barely move my arm... the doc said the x-rays should be done monday so they can tell me if its torn, frayed or just strained. they gave me a cordizone shot today though..

any ideas to aleviate the pain? i know if i get my adrenaline pumping i cant feel it :P
when you say "heal", you mean more like, "stop hurting"? don't think it will heal.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
when you say "heal", you mean more like, "stop hurting"? don't think it will heal.
this is true....it will never heal, but it will scar over and the pain will dissapate. but because it never heals its always able to be torn further.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
this depends on what you guys mean by "heal" I have torn both of my rotater cuffs, torn both my Labrum's and had to have one shoulder surgically reconstructed, so I am a pretty good authority on this.

Best thing to do is be nice to it for the next two weeks, ice it down daily, or a couple times a day if you are able, and basically do not do anything that makes it hurt.

Once you can move it around without having any serious pain, it's rehab time. It is actually pretty easy to get your rotater cuff stronger than it was before you injured it, mostly because it is an ignored muscle in the body, and once you start working it specifically you are able to make some serious gains, strengthwise.

Most rotater cuff exercises involve keeping your elbow prone to your side (but with a spacer between your arm and body, generally a small rolled up towel works well) and rotating your arm in and out, with differnet types of LIGHT resistance, depending on the motion.

Also doing arm lifts, both directly in front of you and straight out to the side are great for strengtheing that area.

The key that I have found to getting your rotater cuff back to normal is lots of rep's and very light weight with all the exercises. for example, three sets of 20 with a 4 pound weight. The really weak stretch bands work well too, tie one end to a doorknob and work your shoulder lightly over and over until it burns.

google rotater cuff exercises and you will find what you need.

Just remember, ice it and don't over-do it, cuz it's really gonna piss you off if you injure it again doing something you know you should not be doing.

moral of the story, it can come back just fine, and actually better than it was before, just pay attention to it.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha howd you know im a drug mule, lol just kidding, would you reccomend any chiropractic stuff to help it?
Chiropractors can't really help with this. If it's torn it needs surgery.

Otherwise the exercises listed above are the best bet.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

go buy an arm sling to minimize movement to reduce pain till you hear from your doctor. ...you will probably need surgery.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
If it is really torn, it will never heal. It will scar over, but you will have issues down the road. Don't think you won't. The rotar cuff keeps your arm in its socket as your arm moves up. If it the cuff is damaged, this will allow the arm to move out of the socket thus creating issues over time. For someone who is not active, never will be then they might get by. If you don't fall into that, then have it looked at and fixed if need be. For now, I would rest it, ice it for 15 mins at a time. A chiropractor will help with the pain but it will come back. I say do the above for a week or so, then resume activities lightly. You will know if there is a problem. If there is, get it fixed. Over time, your body will compensate for the bum shoulder and other problems may result. ie, bicep tendon, upper pec muscles, labrum.

Trust me, I speak from experience. Just food for though, good luck!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #16
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I zinged mine about 10 years ago when twisting while planting a tree (felt it immediately). It took about 3 weeks of rest to feel decent ... but still acts up if I over do things.

Mine is not real bad and doc said that operating could make it worse. I had a series of steroid shots that only helped for a few days.

FWIW ... I would only have surgery if it really bothered me a lot.

With that said ... you have some OTs & PTs on here that can tell you more about their therapies (with & without surgery).

PS ... Light Yoga and stretching has helped mine ... but I still have to be very careful what I do.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
@brow: +1
Old 03-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #18
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
just so you know, it is VERY hard to tear your rotater completely through the first time you injure it, usually you end up in surgery after multiple injuries that keep aggravating the same spot, basically it tears a little more each time you hurt it.

If this is your first time injuring it, you probably don't need surgery, just PT and pay attention to it in the future, basically, if it starts to hurt, stop what you are doing.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #19
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry man. I try not to use heavy weights when doing shoulders. Mr rotator cuff is all fucked up too. Bands are great exercises that work the rotator well. future reference.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #20
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Shoulder surgery has come a long time in the past few years. I had a torn labrum, back half completely off the bone and my cuff was very very beat up. Few more months and it would have been toasted. Some damange up where the bicep tendon connects to the shoulder (around that grove that super-spinatus nerve (sp) goes through). 7 months of rehab got me back to work. After about a year of working it and paying attention, the thing is rock solid. Never have to worry about what I do.

Modern medicine man, just awesome.