LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

TOUGH MUDDER!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #381
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone heard from MJP since he did the WTM??
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #382
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Anyone heard from MJP since he did the WTM??
i was wondering the same thing...
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #383
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
It beat my ass! I only made it through 2 laps before the cold and fatigue took over. Dumbass me didn't take in enough calories during my pit stop after lap 1 or enough fluids around the course and ended up bonking hard around mile 17. Dehydration did me no favors either.

After lap 2 I crawled into my tent to warm up and realized that I couldn't feel my toes. Literally, no feeling at all. It took 4 hours for feeling to come back for my right toes and 6 hours for my left. I took my socks off every hour to make sure things weren't changing colors.

I ate like a madman, drank as much as I could stomach, and shivered for the next 4 hours after my feet recovered.

Lap 1 went smooth as can be. Lap 2 was done with more neoprene and went well until mile 17 or so. My strength was draining fast and for the first time ever I struggled with Everest. Not good, but I managed to get up solo on my second try. A trip through mud pits in the woods followed, along with the Electric Eel, some Berlin Walls, and Island Hopping. After the walls I had a pounding headache which subsided after a 5 minute break. It came back stronger while I was on the 4th of the 5 floating islands and crippled me. I made it through that obstacle and got some water from one of the volunteers.

Feeling a bit better, I swam across the lake and made it up the cargo net by hooking my forearms through the ropes. My grip was shot. The cold of the Underwater Tunnels brought back the headache, but some hot chicken broth from the aid station immediately following this obstacle helped tremendously. Rope climb up, over, and down the next obstacle was sketchy as my forearms were shot.

The tire drag was cake as my legs were still strong. The Mud Mile was cold but bearable. The tall Berlin Walls followed, and I somehow made it over both again. It was mostly a roll over the top rather than a lift but it worked. Electroshock Therapy was a crawled under, and the run back to the start/finish/pit area was slow.

While that was the roughest part for me, the event as a whole was far from miserable. Lots of people helping each other out, many shared experiences as people suffered my same fate (some for the second year in a row), and some of the most impressive athletes I've ever seen. The winners (both male and female) did 9 laps each!

I really had a great time out there despite the suffering and cold. I attempted to sleep off the cold and woke up at 4:30am to assess whether another lap was feasible. Unfortunately, it was not. While difficult, I excused myself from the event at 5am. Attempting another lap would have resulted in either hypothermia or flat-out injury as I fell off something tall. I hated to do it but it was the right move.

Later in the day after a shower, hot meal, and a nap I still felt that it was the right move. The obstacles combined with the hours spent shivering completely drained me. How folks out there managed 7, 8, and 9 laps is completely beyond me.

I'll work on a solution for my feet and may give it another go next year with hydration pack in tow. I didn't achieve what I was shooting for, but I gave it my best so for once I'm ok with the DNF.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #384
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you survived, sounds like it's quite the event! A DNF in an event like that is nothing to be ashamed of, I wasn't even invited
Old 11-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #385
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

great work man!!! now let's see some pics
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #386
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
Smar969905's Tacoma Gallery
one of the signs i saw at the regular TM
"It's not embarrassing to not finish the Tough Mudder. It is embarrassing to sign up for a 3 mile mud run"

WTM is not meant to be easy. I don't think I would be able to pull it off myself.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #387
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Damn Mike, you still sound like a bad ass!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #388
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Damn Mike, you still sound like a bad ass!
lol hardly.

I'll see if I can get some videos to show up on here.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #389

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Everest
I made it up without a problem but struggled to get another guy up. I'm amazed that people at this event had issues with this obstacle. Me an another mudder had to pull a guy's dead weight up to the top:
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsr...381615816&ev=0

Berlin Walls
They moved the supports out slightly to make it harder to use them to climb over. I still managed but it took a bit.
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsr...118281809&ev=0

Island Hopping
First time trying this obstacle. They got a little farther apart towards the end.
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsr...354949052&ev=0

Drag King
I enjoyed this one. I tend to do a lot of squats and have a short running stride so this was an easy obstacle for me. It was a pleasant way to warm up after the Underwater Tunnels in the freezing cold.
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsr...474948540&ev=0

"Do the pose!"

Let me know if any of those are not viewable and I'll try to come up with another solution.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #390
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
Video unavailable for all probably due to privacy settings?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #391

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I thought that might come up as they're on someone else's page. I'll get this figures out. The videos actually came out pretty good.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #392

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Updated the video links. Hopefully that did it.

EDIT: Nope.

EDIT 2: Might have it this time.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #393
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
Smar969905's Tacoma Gallery
videos worked for me.

after doing a regular tough mudder, it takes somebody that is clinically insane to do WTM. getting 2 laps in is farther than i think i would have made it.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #394

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Everest
I made it up without a problem but struggled to get another guy up. I'm amazed that people at this event had issues with this obstacle. Me an another mudder had to pull a guy's dead weight up to the top:
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsr...381615816&ev=0

Berlin Walls
They moved the supports out slightly to make it harder to use them to climb over. I still managed but it took a bit.
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsr...118281809&ev=0

Island Hopping
First time trying this obstacle. They got a little farther apart towards the end.
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsr...354949052&ev=0

Drag King
I enjoyed this one. I tend to do a lot of squats and have a short running stride so this was an easy obstacle for me. It was a pleasant way to warm up after the Underwater Tunnels in the freezing cold.
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsr...474948540&ev=0

"Do the pose!"

Let me know if any of those are not viewable and I'll try to come up with another solution.
Permissions have all been set to public so the video links below should finally be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smar969905 View Post
videos worked for me.
Thanks for the confirmation on that one. I was hoping that would do the trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smar969905 View Post
after doing a regular tough mudder, it takes somebody that is clinically insane to do WTM. getting 2 laps in is farther than i think i would have made it.
You'd be surprised how far you can go with the right motivation and nutrition. Try a second or third TM and you'll shock yourself with how much easier each one becomes. The body adapts pretty quickly to the abuse.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #395

mike, approx how many people started the WTM?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #396

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
This year I believe 1300 were registered and approximately 1150 started.

It was the smallest group I've ever seen at a TM event, and a hell of a contrast to the Tri-State Mudder at the same location a month earlier. That one had 24,000 people in a single day!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #397
celec is on a distinguished road
celec's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone doing Tough Mudder Buffalo this weekend?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #398
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Tough Mudder is awesome (Oregon 2013)
suuuub'd
Old 11-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #399
nelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Neil
nelztaco's Tacoma Gallery
I signed up today for the tri-state on Oct. 11, 2014. I am approximately 50-70 pounds overweight. 325 days until the event. Just thought I would share. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Anyone accomplish a similar feat? Specifically, I am 5'10" and 235 lbs. on the scale at work with steel toe work boots on. I started walking in the mornings. I am up to 4 miles. I will eventually turn the walks into jogs then runs.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #400
nelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Neil
nelztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Also, I can't swim. So no walk the plank unless I get some lessons early next year.