Workout questions? Ask a Bodybuilder/Personal Trainer

Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #341
kimo will become famous soon enough

Name: Darin
kimo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf023 View Post
Alex,

Could use some advise...First, I'm no spring chicken. In 20's, was 5'9 and 200 lbs and less than 10% body fat. In 30's and 40's I ran 30-40 miles a week. Over a 15 to 20 year period, lost a good deal of bulk but still was no lightweight at 185 lbs. and still less than 10% body fat. My joints don't do well with the running anymore so gave that up. I'm back up to 195 and my body fat is over 20% and I've gained 2-3 inches around the waist. My problem is I keep tweaking my lower back (L4 and L5 area). Tweaking is defined as I bend in a normal way, doing something normal (not lifting anything) and I feel a sharp pain.

I've gone to an orthopedic who says bone, vertebrae, and discs look excellent, particularly for my age. It used to be Iíd tweak my back and be out of commission for a few weeks at a time. Iíve improved my situation. Now when I tweak my back itís never bad enough to keep me from walking but itís painful for the first mile or so. I usually canít do anything else for the next 3 to 5 days. What Iím looking for some advice with is how I can build strength in my lower back so this doesnít happen at all.

My routine, for several years, has been I walk (~4 miles) 5-7 days a week with a 40 lb weight vest. For the past 2 years Iíll do 500 sit-ups daily on a situp bench. (The bench has the seated part at ~45 degrees, butt lower than knees, with ankles locked behind a bar.) My range of motion is probably a little less than 90 degrees. For the past couple of months (in an attempt to build lower back strength) Iím doing sit-ups with resistance. I have a weight machine where you sit in virtually the same position as the sit-up bench but there are straps you grab with both with each hand. The straps come over my shoulders and I hold them at the center of my chest. The straps are connected to a weight stack. As you pull forward, you raise the stack. As you go back, you lower the stack. Iím doing 200 reps with 50 lbs. In addition, I do 2 sets of bench presses (20 reps first set, 15 reps second set), arm curls, and upright triceps extensions. I do all my weight lifting these days on my machine (weight stacks) to keep from tweak my back. The last thing I do is hang on an inversion table to stretch my back.

Like I said, my back has gotten better. I donít tweak it as often and when I do hurt it, the pain is not as debilitating and it doesnít last as long. Is there anything I can do strengthen my back so I donít hurt it anymore? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Try some stiff legged deadlifts for lower back, and keep up th ab/core exercises, ad some rope cruches as well.
I have had back issues over the years, but you have to train through your injuries best you can.
A good chiropractor can work wonders. My experience with MD is all they do 4 u is give muscle relaxers or in woorse case, surgery.
Anyone can trim fat and do it fast if they are doing regular workout/fitness routines, just up your protien, cut carbs and drink lots of water throughout the day, water is key to fat loss. goodluck, Kimo
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #342
zimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant future

zimm52's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have a geraat split routine that they swear by? could be a four or five days split. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #343
bajaracer is on a distinguished road
Name: Charly
bajaracer's Tacoma Gallery
Any thoughts/opinions on DHEA?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #344
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
During the last few years I've been in and out of some half-assed workout routines. Never did any during high school (was home-schooled), did some during the time I was working for the Dept of Corrections, now I'm just doing it to keep from getting fat.
I've noticed that during a workout, it always feels like I've exercised my right side more than my left. No matter how hard I try to make things consistent, it always feels like it's easier to work my right side and always feels like the right side has been worked more. WTF? It's driving me nuts.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #345
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone in this thread drink coffee?

for the last year or so I've been drinking 1 cup every morning and that is for the day. About a week and a half ago I tried to go cold turkey on the coffee. Feeling a bit sluggish sometimes. So Mon, Tue, and today in school I ended up buying a coffee midmorning as I have to sit for extended periods of time for classes/studying.

It doesn't help that I have two 2 hour classes back to back on Tuesdays and Thursdays, followed by a 3 hour lab. So on those days I'm in classes from 8 am till 5 pm.

Mondays and Wednesdays I only have a 1 45 minute class. No classes for this guy on Fridays.

anyhoos, I get up at 4 am on weekdays and either go running in the wee hours with my buddy (my doggy ) or for a quick bike ride. Go to the gym later in the day.

this past Saturday I started the 5x5 program. I'm a bit confused though about how it works. I've read different things on different sites.

I stuck with the 5x5 squats, 5x5 bench, and 5x5 shoulder press. I did it all in one work out, cuz that's the way I understood it. Then in the next work out session I up it by 10 lbs (shoulder press only 5 lbs). Is that correct?

Should I do this work out once a week, or twice a week?

I'm still doing back and arms, but on different days of course.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #346
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Hit each body part once a week - or twice on the lagging ones
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #347
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink junky View Post
Does anyone in this thread drink coffee?

for the last year or so I've been drinking 1 cup every morning and that is for the day. About a week and a half ago I tried to go cold turkey on the coffee. Feeling a bit sluggish sometimes. So Mon, Tue, and today in school I ended up buying a coffee midmorning as I have to sit for extended periods of time for classes/studying.

It doesn't help that I have two 2 hour classes back to back on Tuesdays and Thursdays, followed by a 3 hour lab. So on those days I'm in classes from 8 am till 5 pm.

Mondays and Wednesdays I only have a 1 45 minute class. No classes for this guy on Fridays.

anyhoos, I get up at 4 am on weekdays and either go running in the wee hours with my buddy (my doggy ) or for a quick bike ride. Go to the gym later in the day.

this past Saturday I started the 5x5 program. I'm a bit confused though about how it works. I've read different things on different sites.

I stuck with the 5x5 squats, 5x5 bench, and 5x5 shoulder press. I did it all in one work out, cuz that's the way I understood it. Then in the next work out session I up it by 10 lbs (shoulder press only 5 lbs). Is that correct?

Should I do this work out once a week, or twice a week?

I'm still doing back and arms, but on different days of course.
www.stronglifts.com

Work out A:
Squat
Bench
Row

Work out B:
Squat
Over head press
Deadlift 1X5*

Alternate workouts, three times a week works great.

Everyday you lift, each lift is increased 5lbs, except deadlift, which is 10lbs. *You only do Deadlift 1x5 because you will be burned out after your squat sets and warm up sets for dead lift. Once you stall twice, the thrid time you de-load 10% and continue on the normal plan.

Essentially your sets will look like this:

warm up
warm up

(Deadlift)
warm up
warm up

Follow the instructions on the site and pick up the free app.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #348
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedToy View Post
www.stronglifts.com

Work out A:
Squat
Bench
Row

Work out B:
Squat
Over head press
Deadlift 1X5*

Alternate workouts, three times a week works great.

Everyday you lift, each lift is increased 5lbs, except deadlift, which is 10lbs. *You only do Deadlift 1x5 because you will be burned out after your squat sets and warm up sets for dead lift. Once you stall twice, the thrid time you de-load 10% and continue on the normal plan.

Essentially your sets will look like this:

warm up
warm up

(Deadlift)
warm up
warm up

Follow the instructions on the site and pick up the free app.

Cool, thanks for the link man!!!

I'll get back to you guys in a few months with my results.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #349
42boxer is on a distinguished road

Marines: 6114 HMLA 773
Name: Brannon
42boxer's Tacoma Gallery
Alright guys, im 5'8" 150lbs. i have tiny legs which i think helps but im the fastest low speed sprinter i know but i hit "top speed" really quick and its not very fast. How do i train to boost my high end speed?
thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #350
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Sprints
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #351
whiptastic handling
FoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud of

Army: E-3
Name: Shamus
FoundOffRoadDead's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for doing some thing that you like and enjoy! Also for helping us fat dude's!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #352
42boxer is on a distinguished road

Marines: 6114 HMLA 773
Name: Brannon
42boxer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
Sprints
Thats it?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #353
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Ladder runs? I don't run....if u ever see me running that means u should to b/c i I' running for my life lol
Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #354
Davidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really niceDavidd is just really nice

Name: David
Davidd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42boxer View Post
Alright guys, im 5'8" 150lbs. i have tiny legs which i think helps but im the fastest low speed sprinter i know but i hit "top speed" really quick and its not very fast. How do i train to boost my high end speed?
thanks
What is your experience as a sprinter time frame wise? Years?

But when we work with our combine athletes, the 40 is a must for all of them to improve on.

We first start working on their fundamentals: strong base. With that, what is your posture. Leaning forward, tall, back? Each phase of you race you should be at different postures but never back.

We also work on your stride. Ex: "step with a purpose"
Shin angle is also important. Here is a brief article that my old manager wrote
http://education.athletesperformance...r-a-faster-40/

Weight room: squats, dead lifts, RDLs, pistol squats , single leg RDLs. Doing these exercises with appropriate periodization will get you gains.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #355
Longo118 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Engine man
Longo118's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
I don't see any threads dedicated to professional advice for health & fitness questions so I decided to make one since it's been my life for almost 10 years. I rarely come across a question that I don't know the answer to, but I don't know everything, so if I don't know the answer I have great resources to use and will be sure to find the right answer for you.

A little bit about me, I started working out when I was 15, started competing in bodybuilding when I was 17, and got certified and started working as a personal trainer when I was 18 and have been doing that ever since.

I've competed 8 times in bodybuilding and have won two state titles as a teen and adult, and I've set state records in raw powerlifting also.

winning my weight class and overall for the entire men's jr. division at the state championships - 3.25% bodyfat @ 175 lbs.

raw deadlift 550 lbs. @ 198 lb. weight class

squatting 550 for 3 reps @ 198 lbs.

350 lb. bench press @ 198 lbs.

I won the amateur bodybuilder of the week award once on bodybuilding.com and the article outlines my workout routine and pre-contest diet:

http://www.bodybuilders.com/alex_morrison.htm

So feel free to ask me anything and hopefully I'll be able to help!
That's great! Congrats on all your accomplishments, especially the powerlifting titles. I'm a Personal trainer, Gym owner and Strength Athlete as well. Those were some great numbers to hit at that bodyweight!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #356
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking for some help adding support lifts to my routine and getting general routine advice. Hopefully you can help me !

I have been doing this for 3 months:

Workout A: 1000 meter row warmup, Deadlift (5/3/1 program), Dumbell rows, barbell curl, reverse barbell curl, plank and sideplank.

Workout B: 1000 meter row warmup, bench (5/3/1), Dumbell flies, Tricep press down/extension, circuit machine incline press, pushups.

Workout C: 1000 meter row warmup, squat (5/3/1), leg extension, leg press, calf raises.

I am 35yrs old, 73"/ 206lbs approx 22% bodyfat. Maxes are DL-325, Bench 225, Squat 225. I really need to develop my leg strength. Genetically I have skinny legs, broad shoulder/chest and carry all my fat in the gut. I am working on the diet to trim the middle. My goals are to lean out a little in the mid section, but put on muscle weight. I'm not looking to cut a lot of weight. If I could put on muscle and hover around 195 -200 that would be ideal.

Advice?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #357
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am 6'2 207lb, I signed up for myfitnesspal on my phone to lose 17lb in 5 weeks. That puts me at 1800 calories a day, the app deducts for excercise. I have a pt test coming. It's as many push ups as I can do, my age bracket the minimum is something like 40, I can get that. Situps in a minute, I think I have to get 38, I can get that, usually. And I have to run 1.5 miles in 12:05.

I do 1 set each day for now of
40 pushups
40 perfect sit-ups
25x 4 count flutter kicks
25x 4 count supepine bicycles
25x 4 count crunches
run around 2 miles, not for time now just to make the run... probably 9 minute mile pace.

I just saw a men's health magazine that had an article of shred your abs in 4 weeks with 2 separate exercise routines that I will try.
Does anyone have any exercises that I can do to 1: do better on a 1 minute situp test. 2: better my 1.5 mile run time.

I have about 1 month to get this done.... sorry for the long winded post.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #358
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have been way under the 1800 calories for each day with the exercising for almost a week now. I am going to weigh in again when I get to work tonight. I probably lost a couple of lb. I am excited to see the results. I usually eat somewhere in the area of 4000 calories I bet. I eat what ever I want just try not to waste calories on nonsense and I dont eat garbage. Thanks again
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #359
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
Okay reverse dieting is the shiznit!!! went from 2200 cal to 2500 cal and still lost weight and BF last week. Gonna up it by 50 this week and see where it takes me. hopefully the weight loss stops soon so i can diet down again, because eating all this food is getting expensive lol For those of you dieting for 3-4 month like me and the weight and fat loss is slowing down or stalled, look into reverse dieting. Basiclly is keeping your protein high as usual but add carbs and fats slowly to build up your bmr.