Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Workout questions? Ask a Bodybuilder/Personal Trainer

Old 10-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #361
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Grunt
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
This is more so an injury question & if anyone has experience with it...

So I have flat feet, and that puts a more than normal amount of stress on the Plantar Calcaneonavicular Ligament. It's been aggravated for about a month or two and I feel it hurting the morning after I run (2-3 miles) or especially the day after I jump rope (20-30 minutes).

I'm mainly concerned because I go to Marine Corps boot camp on December 9th (a little over a month away). I want to know my treatment options now to get it back to normal (or close to it). I'm in excellent physical shape right now so I'm not concerned about that, I just don't want to partially tear or fully tear that ligament while in basic.

Any treatment options? I stay off of it as much as possible (no running, body weight lower body exercises, etc). Ice is my friend and I do an ice bath for 10 mins and then stick the foot in the hot tub for 10 mins for probably 2-3 rounds.

My Dad said something about a cortizone shot...?

Opinions please?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #362
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys wondering if you could give me a few ideas/tips.

6' 150lbs never been to a gym in my life really. I have access to an awesome gym here on base. Id like to put on a few lbs of muscle. Last week or so I've been trying to go mon/weds/fri. Is that enough, too much too little? I have to do cardio (I know thats not good for gaining mass but I have to for time being). Im kind of just learning how to do the machines (Mostly because I dont have too many ideas on how to use the free weights). Im doing roughly 10-12x3. Today I used a chest fly machine a chest press machine and a bicep machine. Also a 1.5 mile run throw in there. Was there for about an hour. I know everyone stresses diet I dont eat terrible, but I dont eat great either. I work wierd hours but usually eat some cereal or an omlette (9pm) then turkey sandwich water and chips for lunch (2:30am) Then cereal oatmeal omlette or something crazy(8am) Then bed around noon.

Any kinda tips would be helpful should I be taking some kind of protein drink? lol Thanks again
Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #363
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Hey guys wondering if you could give me a few ideas/tips.

6' 150lbs never been to a gym in my life really. I have access to an awesome gym here on base. Id like to put on a few lbs of muscle. Last week or so I've been trying to go mon/weds/fri. Is that enough, too much too little? I have to do cardio (I know thats not good for gaining mass but I have to for time being). Im kind of just learning how to do the machines (Mostly because I dont have too many ideas on how to use the free weights). Im doing roughly 10-12x3. Today I used a chest fly machine a chest press machine and a bicep machine. Also a 1.5 mile run throw in there. Was there for about an hour. I know everyone stresses diet I dont eat terrible, but I dont eat great either. I work wierd hours but usually eat some cereal or an omlette (9pm) then turkey sandwich water and chips for lunch (2:30am) Then cereal oatmeal omlette or something crazy(8am) Then bed around noon.

Any kinda tips would be helpful should I be taking some kind of protein drink? lol Thanks again
If you are a beginner i would stick with learning the basics first, it'll be the foundation of your muscle building. and that is compound movements, i know free weight seems intimidating but it's the best you can do for your body and muscle building. ask someone in the gym to show you, or watch youtube and practice for yourself, form is most important when if comes to lifting. as for diet, make sure you eat enough to gain muscle but not too much you gain fat. if you havent gain a single pound after a week of eating, eat more, gain more than 2lbs after a wekk eat less.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #364
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm.. okay thanks. Ill be going again next week probably daily with a buddy whos got a pretty good idea what hes doin thanks guys anymore info im listening
Old 11-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #365
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Hmm.. okay thanks. Ill be going again next week probably daily with a buddy whos got a pretty good idea what hes doin thanks guys anymore info im listening
Don't kill yourself in the gym the first 2 weeks, when you first start the soreness is the worst. so pace your self and don't get burnt out.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #366
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mccarroll's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for a little advice. I'm mid 30's 185lbs and 5'6". My current routine is run 30 mins(approx 5k) three times per week and on the other three days do 2 exercises for bi's, tri's, chest and shoulders (3 sets of 12 for each). Not sure I am writing that clear, but I do 6 sets for each body part above in the entire workout.

Will this get me anywhere? I have been doing this for months and notice no weight loss. I am not trying to bulk up as I am already quite stocky. Any advice would be appreciated. I realize diet is an important factor, but would like advice on my workout for now. My goal is a little weight loss and muscle defining.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #367
Nip it in the bud!
12PM4X4OR is on a distinguished road

Name: Fife
12PM4X4OR's Tacoma Gallery
W/O me having to read all the way through this thread...What do you recommend for the 55+ crowd besides checking with the doc or digging a hole?

I am 55 but my brain says I'm 21. Muscles and joints don't bounce back like they use to & soreness seems like the onset of a heart attack . PKIM...I've searched for advise from several and although my bod is older my mind is still in a time warp...make sense wiper snapper.

Oh ya...& why does it seem like your head is stuck on that body in the 1st post???
Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #368
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Can anyone recommend a weight/mass gainer that doesn't have 9 billion grams of sugar in it?
Ideally, it'd be pretty rich in vitamins/minerals/all-that-jazz too

Thanks
Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #369
spencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Spencer
spencer44306's Tacoma Gallery
Cytogainer was my favorite weight gainer
cookies and creme flavor
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #370
TacoBully is on a distinguished road

Name: CJ
TacoBully's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarroll View Post
Looking for a little advice. I'm mid 30's 185lbs and 5'6". My current routine is run 30 mins(approx 5k) three times per week and on the other three days do 2 exercises for bi's, tri's, chest and shoulders (3 sets of 12 for each). Not sure I am writing that clear, but I do 6 sets for each body part above in the entire workout.

Will this get me anywhere? I have been doing this for months and notice no weight loss. I am not trying to bulk up as I am already quite stocky. Any advice would be appreciated. I realize diet is an important factor, but would like advice on my workout for now. My goal is a little weight loss and muscle defining.
I would vary the cardio and/or up the number of times per week you do it as well as the duration. I'm 40, and I notice that it is much easier to bulk now than it was in my 20s and early 30s. It is NOT as easy to lose the fat.

Best overall calorie burner for me is swimming.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #371
RocktheRed
RocktheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible/healthy to lose 15-20 lbs in 6 weeks?! I'm really failing on keeping my word to dieting and going to the gym but with summer right around the corner, I need to get motivated and jump on board! I broke my leg last July and essentially gained 15 lbs by doing nothing and not watching my diet..Now I need to lose it and get tone!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #372
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #373
Manitouman88 has a spectacular aura aboutManitouman88 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Shane
Manitouman88's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Guys,
So im looking for advice/opinions today. So here's my backstory:

I'm a 6'0 180lb male in my mid 20's. Ive always been an active person, catoring around mostly outdoor activites and sports. I've never really been into the gym thing, but two years ago I thought id give "working out" a shot. My body type isnt neccesarily fat, and im pretty tall and slender, But I definitly have some pudge around my mid-section. Skinny fat i suppose. Looking to get rid of this and get healthier overal while building muscle, I decided to give P90X a shot.

I ate pretty strict with the program and did two 90 round sessions. I lost a lot of weight. I was weighing in around 160 by the time the second session was done....but I never really lost the belly pudge. I also never really felt all that great during the program, sort of lightheaded sometimes during the workouts. But certainly better than my out of shape college days.

About 6 months ago, I was really liking the strength training part of p90X and have always wanted to start lifitng (barbell exercises) so I decided to ditch the P90 and give a 5X5 program a shot. I purchased a bench set with weights, barbells, and plates, and a few dumbells. Ive been lifting 3-4 days a week for 6 straight months.

Ive been doing Squats/Bench/Rows/Push-Ups/Curls and Squats/Overhead Press/ Deadlift/ Pullups alternating and upping the weight 5 lbs per exercise (When my body allows it. Somtimes I have to drop the weight and go back to the previous weight for a day).

Ive been trying to eat plenty of protein, and plenty of food in order to gain muscle mass. But I fear ive been eating far to dirty or too much. Im back up to 180lbs and have definitely got more pudge than 6 months ago. I physically feel far better than during my P90 days and Im A LOT stronger than when I started, upping my weight amounts by a bunch.

So at this point im a little discouraged. Im wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to augment my workouts and diet to achieve the results im looking for (more muscle mass, less skinny fat look). Any day-day diets/ meals would be awesome!

Thanks guys.
-Shane
Old 09-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #374
Penten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 31B
Name: Peter
Penten's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys here my info

5,5-5,6
148lbs
Age 19

Now my question is what are some of advice to become lean?

What I do now - TRY to stay under 1500 Cals a day- Try to go to the gym Mon-Fri- 3-4 sets at 12 reps for strength training than 25 reps for my 3-4 Sets of abs workouts- I can specif if needed.

Supplements taking- Arnold vitapacks & 2 scoops of his protein with water after a work out , I also started SHATTER as a preworkout I was on C4 before.

My personal result notices- When I started working out I was working out with 10lbs... Then throughout the on-off works out I now use 25's referring to curls of course. Also I started at 155Lbs. At 148 however I feel like no matter what I try I cant break the plateau I've tried weight lose supplements and everything but still nothing.

Anyways my main point here is what can I do to become leaner and get rid of my pudge . I've just ordered the JYM shred btw. Also I'm having troubles with running and was wondering if any had any options for me on that note. (Intermediate Level)
Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #375
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, give this thread a visit. It's more active in there.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #376
The Sauce Boss
drmcstford is on a distinguished road

Name: David
drmcstford's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarroll View Post

Weight Loss is about 70% diet 30% training (best estimate) However you can do a variety of things: Fasted Cardio The minute you wake up try doing 30 mins of cardio it shocks the system and is great for weight loss Have a protein shake after and get that recovery! Don't be afraid of weights, weights are great for weight loss as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12PM4X4OR View Post
W/O me having to read all the way through this thread...What do you recommend for the 55+ crowd besides checking with the doc or digging a hole?

I am 55 but my brain says I'm 21. Muscles and joints don't bounce back like they use to & soreness seems like the onset of a heart attack . PKIM...I've searched for advise from several and although my bod is older my mind is still in a time warp...make sense wiper snapper.

Oh ya...& why does it seem like your head is stuck on that body in the 1st post???
LOL keep at the gym ! Take joint support (cissus, omegas, glucosomine etc..) some good protein shakes, a balanced diet and good training will take you very far!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
Can anyone recommend a weight/mass gainer that doesn't have 9 billion grams of sugar in it?
Ideally, it'd be pretty rich in vitamins/minerals/all-that-jazz too

Thanks
For that my friend go with Monster Mass, or Carnivore mass great options! Want a budget friendly gainer? make it yourself buy a timed-release protein and some carbs you nutrition store should carry buckets of carbs mix the 2 yourself and bam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktheRed View Post
Is it possible/healthy to lose 15-20 lbs in 6 weeks?! I'm really failing on keeping my word to dieting and going to the gym but with summer right around the corner, I need to get motivated and jump on board! I broke my leg last July and essentially gained 15 lbs by doing nothing and not watching my diet..Now I need to lose it and get tone!
Hmmmmm I would say def not healthy way to loose that much weight in 6 weeks. I would say more in the lines of 5-10 pounds in 6 weeks

My qualifications: Nutrition Store manager, NASM personal trainer, ISSA certified nutritionist.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:04 AM   #377
MachTac has much to be proud ofMachTac has much to be proud ofMachTac has much to be proud ofMachTac has much to be proud ofMachTac has much to be proud ofMachTac has much to be proud ofMachTac has much to be proud ofMachTac has much to be proud ofMachTac has much to be proud ofMachTac has much to be proud of

Name: Kody
MachTac's Tacoma Gallery
Personal 1RM
Bench 305 lbs
Squat 400 lbs
Deadlift 425 lbs

5'9"
190lbs

Looking to start cutting early because I'm hoping to be in a police academy by summer. Do you suggest fewer sets and more reps (4x12) or higher sets and fewer reps (10x5)? Weight will adjust accordingly. I will also be doing HIT training at the end of every workout and at least a mile before each workout.

Thanks!