Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Asthma or Allergies?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Asthma or Allergies?

I don't have asthma and my allergies have never done anything like this to me. Usually just the itchy eyes and sneezing, but they haven't been acting up.

Last night I was walking my dog at a pretty good clip and all of a sudden I got short of breath and could not catch my breath. It lasted for several hours. The first hour was the worst, but it took several hours for my breathing to get back to normal.

Was a little short of breath for maybe 45 minutes earlier today at work and then when I was out cutting my grass, got to where it was hard to breathe again. Didn't last very long once I stopped cutting the grass

I had no other symptoms other than being short of breath.

Ideas?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Could very well be asthma (I have asthma) but it could also be an allergic reaction. Either way, I'd let my doctor know about it and get his input. Hope all is well Susan.
Thanks Colton. I have an appt next week...
Old 05-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
could be anxiety even if you dont feel anxious

i know in the northeast people had worse allergies this year than ever before.
i suggest something like zyrtec, claratin or allegra, you can get them over the counter now, just ask for the generric, it will save you big money. you need to take it every day for it to work

you may need a prescription for something like Nasonex or similar, again daily use is required for at least a few week

lastly an inhaler like albuteral would help, especially with the breathing

its probably something in the air, pollen, something in the trees, radiation from japan, who knows.

start with a visit to the Dr

i start taking zytec, nasonex in march, then use albuteral as needed
Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Look'n like a fool with your pants on the ground..
shane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Engineer, MSG (SMI, ROTC)
shane100700's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the club. Have you ever deployed? I had never had allergies growing up and during my 1st deployment my palms and feet started to break out in burning hives. Fast fwd- it has gotten better but I now have to see an allergist every few months. I have whats called dermagraphic urticaria, and am allergic to mold, dust, and pollen. I break out whenever I exercise and have to take Claritin every morning and Allegra at night. The point being we can develope these "issues" at any time and if you did deploy you are more likely (links below) to develope either Asthma or Allergies. I also know this is one of the worst seasons (nation wide) for pollen and have personnaly had some issues dealing with it. This may have nothing to do with you but again there are things Soldiers have been exposed to in (pick one, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghan, etc) over the years and should be aware of and look for signs of. Either way alleriges suck to live with and hopefully its just an isolated event!

Hope your appointment goes (or went) well!

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/...-allergy-risks

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n3953230.shtml
Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Thanks....

Doc said it could be stress related He said if it doesn't get any better by the 1st of July to go back and he'd run more tests... Haven't had any real issues since those two episodes - just some minor stuff, so we will see.

I deployed to Saudi once if that counts. Other than that, I've been here in SC for over 10 years.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Look'n like a fool with your pants on the ground..
shane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Engineer, MSG (SMI, ROTC)
shane100700's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Thanks....

Doc said it could be stress related He said if it doesn't get any better by the 1st of July to go back and he'd run more tests... Haven't had any real issues since those two episodes - just some minor stuff, so we will see.

I deployed to Saudi once if that counts. Other than that, I've been here in SC for over 10 years.
I would count it, its in the right part of the world. That whole part of the world has metals and fibers in the dust that more and more studies are finding to be extremely harmful. If no more issues I wouldnt be concerned. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
The season (factors before / during) can make a difference, and some people grow in and out of allergies, from what i understand.