1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

12% Body Fat and not seeing the expected results

Discussion in 'Health' started by WaGood24, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sep 12, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    WaGood24

WaGood24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab PreRunner TRD Sport
    Extang Full Tilt tonneau, VX Series Exhaust, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Stainless Nerf Bars, Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, rear-leaf TSB
    I just got measured at 12.4% body fat and I've noticed that I look better, but I don't see nearly as much muscle definition as I was expecting. So my question is do I just need to keep up my cardio and lose more fat? Or do I need to change up my lifting routine? My focus has been playing basketball to get my "HIIT" like cardio in order to burn fat, and for the last couple of months I've been doing heavy weight/low rep lifts. So I'm wondering if my lack of definition is just because I've put on bulky muscle with out "cutting" it or if it's just because 12% body fat just isn't quite what I was expecting it to be. Any ideas?

2. Sep 12, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    well alot has to do with diet, you can run and lift all you want but if your not eating right then you wont see what you want to.

that being said heavy lifting and getting cardio (loosing fat) are almost two opposite things.

when you run to loose fat you need to burn more then you intake

when you want to build muscle you need to break it down (the heavy lifting) and then give it all the nurtients needed not only build it back up but to build it better then it was before and the nutrients include more calories. Essentially eating more then you burned off. Healthy foods of course.

im not sure that that made any sense, but do you see the problem with how our bodies work? :D

what you can try is eating a bunch of high protein low fat/calorie stuff after you work out. your body should turn to using up the excess fat in order to get the calories you would of eaten, and since your eating the proteins, like fat free milk and egg whites for example your body wont break down muscle because your supplying all the amino acids already.

you kind of just have to find out how your body works everyone is different and find that right number of calories for the day.

once again i think that made sense.....:D

3. Sep 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    Ivan

Ivan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, 4x4 + SR5
    I mean I'm around 8% and I can't see my full 6 pack, only the full 4, and 1/2 of the lower abs.

Cut out all sodium since that makes you retain water and makes you look bloated ( 99% sure thats why people advise less sodium)

Cut out all soda, and snackin on candy....

Keep workin out, eatin lots of carbs and protein, but making sure to work out enough that you're burning off the carbs

4. Sep 20, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    tekki9

tekki9 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Owner
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    Built to Beat
    3" suspension, leaf rear, coil over fronts - supercharged v6 (pushing 6lbs) - Rhino lined undercoating & bed
    what are your stats?
    how long have you been training? (yrs, days, etc)
    diet?

help me to help u:)

5. Sep 21, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    WaGood24

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    Extang Full Tilt tonneau, VX Series Exhaust, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Stainless Nerf Bars, Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, rear-leaf TSB
    Thanks for the offer, let me see if I give you the stats you want.

I'm 6'5" 230lbs. 12.4% body fat which breaks down into 28.5 lbs fat weight and 201lbs lean weight. I got these numbers from this thing called a BodPod. Of course it has a margin of error but it's the best tool at my disposal.

I've been training off and on for years. I'm a former athlete. A couple of years ago I injured my knee and spent about 18 months on low impact activities and upper body lifting. For about the last 4-6 months I've been back to playing basketball using that as my primary source of conditioning. I play 3-4 days a week and then lift for the other 2-3 days a week. Currently, I'm lifting heavy weights and low reps teaming up chest/tri and back/bi.

As for diet, I do pretty well but I'm not perfect. I eat the same breakfast and lunch every day. 3 scrambled eggs and a fruit smoothie with pom juice, OJ, a banana, and frozen blueberries and strawberries. Lunch is a turkey/bacon/cheese sandwich on whole grain bread, a handful of almonds, piece of fruit (apple usually) and a piece or two of dark chocolate. Dinner is different every night, of course, and we usually eat meals revolving around chicken and lean beaf. I probably eat a few more sweets than I need to and I have a jack and coke on average about 3-4 times a week. I usually don't indulge in desserts much but when I do it's usually a s'more or small brownie or scoop of ice cream.

Thanks I'm looking forward to your input!

6. Sep 21, 2011 at 5:31 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
  7. Sep 21, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Forget everything you just read. Carb cycle. Try 3 low 1 high. If allowable, cardio fasted in the AM or post- workouts. 'Lifting heavy' as mentioned above will burn more cals thus resulting in fat loss as your heart rate will be constantly high thus out putting more energy and burning fat for fuel.
    Keep your rest periods short and cut out any processed bs foods and drinks.
    Pix below are 4 years apart with the Bodybuilding comp being the most recent.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316608793.381184.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316608858.061802.jpg

8. Sep 21, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    Yep, agree no soda. Lose 5lbs or so there. Watch your diet. Do exercises that workout your entire body and raise your heart rate more (deadlifts, platforms, dumbbell cleans). Cardio outside goes a long ways cause your not stuck on a stationary bike with no air flow or scenery to distract you. Dont overdo it at first or you'll burn out. Good luck!

9. Sep 21, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    12% body fat is pretty darn good...

I have been through this before...in 98 I was down to 5% body fat and was roller blading 25 miles three times a week (three seperate 25 mile sessions). But I was losing muscle mass...

Now I am 190 with better definition...I like the high protien bars and get 30 grams of protien at under 300 calories. One of those for breakfest with juice with psycllium husks and sometype of fruit, green salad with lowfat chicken or ham for lunch (no dressing), and protien based dinner is doing very well for me...

I need to rejoin the gym and add more muscle mass...and I just hit 50...

so 50 years old, 34" jeans, 190lbs at 5'8". I am doing so much better than my friends the same age. And my blood work from my last physical is fantastic.

10. Sep 21, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    WaGood24

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I'm not complaining about the 12%. In fact I'm pretty happy. I guess what I'm wondering is what do I need to see better muscle definition? Do I need to lose more fat or change up my heavy lifting for endurance lifting? I've always heard the low weight/hi reps is what "cuts" you. But I don't know how much different muscle built from bulk lifting looks compared to muscle built from endurance lifting.

11. Sep 21, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    raswank

raswank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Grillcraft, Rear leaf TSB, 5100's at .85, with Eibachs, 265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/S Tires, Hella 500's behind Grill, Kenwood KDC X995 H/U all Boston Acoustic speakers, JL Audio subs, Kenwood XR5 S amp, ATX Chrome 17x8 wheels
    Just take some clen or other form of illegal cutting agents. Steroids are not the answer

12. Sep 21, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    sean266 i don't follow you on the 3 low 1 high... care to explain? if those are your results in the pics i'd be willing to try it.

13. Sep 21, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    how did you measure your body fat?

14. Sep 21, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    WaGood24

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    I'm stationed at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, OH. In our Health and Wellness Center (HAWC) we've got this thing called a bod pod. It looks like an egg, you sit inside and it moves air around you or something. I don't really get how it works, but I guess it has like a 1-2% margin of error. If you google bodpod you'll find a bunch of stuff on it.

15. Sep 21, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Carb cycle. For example, on my "low" carb days my carbs are around 124 (all low GI carbs-no fast acting) I'll do this for 3 days then, on the 4th day, increase my carbs to 175 or so. I also do cardio 6x a wk 45-60mins in the AM and lift in the evenings. Eat clean, train hard, be patient and watch the results.
    Oh, btw try to keep your protein levels high @ the same time. Good luck!

16. Sep 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    this^^^ carb depletion and loading works wonders. try to keep
    the heavy carb up days on the days you hit the weights hard and consume them post work out, hit the weight with an empty gut, I
    train at 4 am just for that reason.

17. Sep 21, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Don't be fooled. A lot of the photos you see with moderate to extreme muscle definition are of guys who are carrying a lot less that 12% body fat.

And for contests and magazine shoots, they temporarily go down to an unhealthy low level of body fat for the duration of the contest or photo shoot. You can't keep your body at that low a level of fat all the time.

But men can carry less than 12% fat and still be at a quite healthy body proportion.

18. Sep 22, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Depends on genetics, actually.

19. Sep 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    If youre trying to drop bf then fasted cardio and weights later after a few meals in ya.

20. Sep 22, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts

Products Discussed in

To Top