Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

12% Body Fat and not seeing the expected results

Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Michael
WaGood24's Tacoma Gallery
12% Body Fat and not seeing the expected results

I just got measured at 12.4% body fat and I've noticed that I look better, but I don't see nearly as much muscle definition as I was expecting. So my question is do I just need to keep up my cardio and lose more fat? Or do I need to change up my lifting routine? My focus has been playing basketball to get my "HIIT" like cardio in order to burn fat, and for the last couple of months I've been doing heavy weight/low rep lifts. So I'm wondering if my lack of definition is just because I've put on bulky muscle with out "cutting" it or if it's just because 12% body fat just isn't quite what I was expecting it to be. Any ideas?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaGood24 View Post
I just got measured at 12.4% body fat and I've noticed that I look better, but I don't see nearly as much muscle definition as I was expecting. So my question is do I just need to keep up my cardio and lose more fat? Or do I need to change up my lifting routine? My focus has been playing basketball to get my "HIIT" like cardio in order to burn fat, and for the last couple of months I've been doing heavy weight/low rep lifts. So I'm wondering if my lack of definition is just because I've put on bulky muscle with out "cutting" it or if it's just because 12% body fat just isn't quite what I was expecting it to be. Any ideas?
well alot has to do with diet, you can run and lift all you want but if your not eating right then you wont see what you want to.

that being said heavy lifting and getting cardio (loosing fat) are almost two opposite things.

when you run to loose fat you need to burn more then you intake

when you want to build muscle you need to break it down (the heavy lifting) and then give it all the nurtients needed not only build it back up but to build it better then it was before and the nutrients include more calories. Essentially eating more then you burned off. Healthy foods of course.

im not sure that that made any sense, but do you see the problem with how our bodies work?

what you can try is eating a bunch of high protein low fat/calorie stuff after you work out. your body should turn to using up the excess fat in order to get the calories you would of eaten, and since your eating the proteins, like fat free milk and egg whites for example your body wont break down muscle because your supplying all the amino acids already.

you kind of just have to find out how your body works everyone is different and find that right number of calories for the day.

once again i think that made sense.....
Old 09-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
I mean I'm around 8% and I can't see my full 6 pack, only the full 4, and 1/2 of the lower abs.

Cut out all sodium since that makes you retain water and makes you look bloated ( 99% sure thats why people advise less sodium)

Cut out all soda, and snackin on candy....

Keep workin out, eatin lots of carbs and protein, but making sure to work out enough that you're burning off the carbs
Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
tekki9 is on a distinguished road
Name: Owner
tekki9's Tacoma Gallery
what are your stats?
how long have you been training? (yrs, days, etc)
diet?

help me to help u
Old 09-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekki9 View Post
what are your stats?
how long have you been training? (yrs, days, etc)
diet?

help me to help u
Thanks for the offer, let me see if I give you the stats you want.

I'm 6'5" 230lbs. 12.4% body fat which breaks down into 28.5 lbs fat weight and 201lbs lean weight. I got these numbers from this thing called a BodPod. Of course it has a margin of error but it's the best tool at my disposal.

I've been training off and on for years. I'm a former athlete. A couple of years ago I injured my knee and spent about 18 months on low impact activities and upper body lifting. For about the last 4-6 months I've been back to playing basketball using that as my primary source of conditioning. I play 3-4 days a week and then lift for the other 2-3 days a week. Currently, I'm lifting heavy weights and low reps teaming up chest/tri and back/bi.

As for diet, I do pretty well but I'm not perfect. I eat the same breakfast and lunch every day. 3 scrambled eggs and a fruit smoothie with pom juice, OJ, a banana, and frozen blueberries and strawberries. Lunch is a turkey/bacon/cheese sandwich on whole grain bread, a handful of almonds, piece of fruit (apple usually) and a piece or two of dark chocolate. Dinner is different every night, of course, and we usually eat meals revolving around chicken and lean beaf. I probably eat a few more sweets than I need to and I have a jack and coke on average about 3-4 times a week. I usually don't indulge in desserts much but when I do it's usually a s'more or small brownie or scoop of ice cream.

Thanks I'm looking forward to your input!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Forget everything you just read. Carb cycle. Try 3 low 1 high. If allowable, cardio fasted in the AM or post- workouts. 'Lifting heavy' as mentioned above will burn more cals thus resulting in fat loss as your heart rate will be constantly high thus out putting more energy and burning fat for fuel.
Keep your rest periods short and cut out any processed bs foods and drinks.
Pix below are 4 years apart with the Bodybuilding comp being the most recent.
Attached Thumbnails
12% Body Fat and not seeing the expected results-imageuploadedbytapatalk1316608793.381184.jpg   12% Body Fat and not seeing the expected results-imageuploadedbytapatalk1316608858.061802.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #8
68vert is on a distinguished road

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
Cut out all soda, and snackin on candy....

Keep workin out, eatin lots of carbs and protein, but making sure to work out enough that you're burning off the carbs
Yep, agree no soda. Lose 5lbs or so there. Watch your diet. Do exercises that workout your entire body and raise your heart rate more (deadlifts, platforms, dumbbell cleans). Cardio outside goes a long ways cause your not stuck on a stationary bike with no air flow or scenery to distract you. Dont overdo it at first or you'll burn out. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #9
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
12% body fat is pretty darn good...

I have been through this before...in 98 I was down to 5% body fat and was roller blading 25 miles three times a week (three seperate 25 mile sessions). But I was losing muscle mass...

Now I am 190 with better definition...I like the high protien bars and get 30 grams of protien at under 300 calories. One of those for breakfest with juice with psycllium husks and sometype of fruit, green salad with lowfat chicken or ham for lunch (no dressing), and protien based dinner is doing very well for me...

I need to rejoin the gym and add more muscle mass...and I just hit 50...

so 50 years old, 34" jeans, 190lbs at 5'8". I am doing so much better than my friends the same age. And my blood work from my last physical is fantastic.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #10

Air Force:
Yeah I'm not complaining about the 12%. In fact I'm pretty happy. I guess what I'm wondering is what do I need to see better muscle definition? Do I need to lose more fat or change up my heavy lifting for endurance lifting? I've always heard the low weight/hi reps is what "cuts" you. But I don't know how much different muscle built from bulk lifting looks compared to muscle built from endurance lifting.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
Just take some clen or other form of illegal cutting agents. Steroids are not the answer
Old 09-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #12
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
sean266 i don't follow you on the 3 low 1 high... care to explain? if those are your results in the pics i'd be willing to try it.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #13
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
how did you measure your body fat?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #14

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
how did you measure your body fat?
I'm stationed at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, OH. In our Health and Wellness Center (HAWC) we've got this thing called a bod pod. It looks like an egg, you sit inside and it moves air around you or something. I don't really get how it works, but I guess it has like a 1-2% margin of error. If you google bodpod you'll find a bunch of stuff on it.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
sean266 i don't follow you on the 3 low 1 high... care to explain? if those are your results in the pics i'd be willing to try it.
Carb cycle. For example, on my "low" carb days my carbs are around 124 (all low GI carbs-no fast acting) I'll do this for 3 days then, on the 4th day, increase my carbs to 175 or so. I also do cardio 6x a wk 45-60mins in the AM and lift in the evenings. Eat clean, train hard, be patient and watch the results.
Oh, btw try to keep your protein levels high @ the same time. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
blkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blkbelt42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
Forget everything you just read. Carb cycle. Try 3 low 1 high. If allowable, cardio fasted in the AM or post- workouts. 'Lifting heavy' as mentioned above will burn more cals thus resulting in fat loss as your heart rate will be constantly high thus out putting more energy and burning fat for fuel.
Keep your rest periods short and cut out any processed bs foods and drinks.
Pix below are 4 years apart with the Bodybuilding comp being the most recent.
this^^^ carb depletion and loading works wonders. try to keep
the heavy carb up days on the days you hit the weights hard and consume them post work out, hit the weight with an empty gut, I
train at 4 am just for that reason.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaGood24 View Post
Yeah I'm not complaining about the 12%. In fact I'm pretty happy. I guess what I'm wondering is what do I need to see better muscle definition? Do I need to lose more fat or change up my heavy lifting for endurance lifting? I've always heard the low weight/hi reps is what "cuts" you. But I don't know how much different muscle built from bulk lifting looks compared to muscle built from endurance lifting.
Don't be fooled. A lot of the photos you see with moderate to extreme muscle definition are of guys who are carrying a lot less that 12% body fat.

And for contests and magazine shoots, they temporarily go down to an unhealthy low level of body fat for the duration of the contest or photo shoot. You can't keep your body at that low a level of fat all the time.

But men can carry less than 12% fat and still be at a quite healthy body proportion.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Don't be fooled. A lot of the photos you see with moderate to extreme muscle definition are of guys who are carrying a lot less that 12% body fat.

And for contests and magazine shoots, they temporarily go down to an unhealthy low level of body fat for the duration of the contest or photo shoot. You can't keep your body at that low a level of fat all the time.

But men can carry less than 12% fat and still be at a quite healthy body proportion.
Depends on genetics, actually.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbelt42 View Post
this^^^ carb depletion and loading works wonders. try to keep
the heavy carb up days on the days you hit the weights hard and consume them post work out, hit the weight with an empty gut, I
train at 4 am just for that reason.
If youre trying to drop bf then fasted cardio and weights later after a few meals in ya.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #20
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Swim