Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Overloading Vitamin C

Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
RockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really nice

RockLobster1106's Tacoma Gallery
Overloading Vitamin C

I recently cut myself surfing pretty badly and have been reading about the benefits of Vitamin C and repairing of connective tissue. Any thoughts? Suggestions? I have been taking daily vitamins which have 333% the daily recommended value and today picked up 1000 mg tablets that have 1800% the daily recommended value. So im about 2000% over daily recommended value. This is more of an experiment for myself to see if this will help my body heal faster. What do you guys think? http://www.healthy.co.nz/ailment/208...d-healing.html
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
jalapenos have ridiculous amounts of vitamin c.

id rather get most my vitamins from healthy food than all the pills youre loading up on.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
Name: Tyler
Tylerm5000's Tacoma Gallery
That is fine. Just be sure to eat a very healthy diet with a lot of variety and balance. It depends on the type of connective tissue. Some heal very slowly and some (like blood vessels and blood) heal fast.

There aren't miracle vitamins out there, but just like fertilizer with plants, it can help give you a boost with the right amounts.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
You're fine. Vitamin C is not an oil based vitamin, any excess will pass through your urine. Oil based vitamins like Vitamin A you can O.D. on. Once I took double the dose of Vit A and I got a blazing headache. Vit C you're all good.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
You're fine. Vitamin C is not an oil based vitamin, any excess will pass through your urine. Oil based vitamins like Vitamin A you can O.D. on. Once I took double the dose of Vit A and I got a blazing headache. Vit C you're all good.
this is true, any fat soluble vitamins can be dangerous if you take too much. with water soluble youll just piss out the biproducts and extra vitamins

you can load up all you want on Vit C but your body can only absorb so much, you can maybe look up absorption aides for Vit C, i do not know of any, i do know that you would be better off taking say... 50mg of Vit C 8 times a day, lets say every 3 hours, than taking 500mg all at once
Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Once upon a time, I used to do mega vitamins under the supervision of a trained physician. Every 6 months I under went urine, blood and hair analysis. Urine for what I was 'throwing off', blood for what was being absorbed and hair for what was being 'stored.'

Regarding some of the things you mentioned... Too much vitamin C can contribute towards kidney stones, too much vitamin A can be toxic.

I did that for many of my formative years (my parents were freaks ) - My mom managed health food stores.

Since those years my primary physicians have included nutrition focused doctors. The consistent message that I have heard from them is to "Eat a colorful plate of food every time you eat." They also support one multi-vitamin per day.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
anyhow vitamins will not fix a connective tissue incident. You would benefit most from alot of good protein and amino acids. Basically eat healthy, lay off alcohol & smokes, and get good rest. Simple as that.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
RockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really nice

RockLobster1106's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the input everyone. I have been eating very well with lots of fruits and veggies but I do need to eat more dietary protein, I have been drinking protein shakes though. Maybe I will just chop the pill in half and take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon.

Do you guys take your supplements before bed, because in theory wouldn't your body absorb more due to not urinating for 8 hours or so?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
There are a lot of things that can affect how your body absorbs a particular nutrient. That is why variety and a random menu (not eating the same thing every day) is good.

For example, Vitamin C enhances iron absorption (but iron will only be absorbed when it is needed). Calcium inhibits iron absorption. There are a lot of antagonists and protagonists.

Just relax. Don't worry about it. Stress also slows healing. haha
Old 10-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Oh and no it has nothing to do with urination.

MANY factors affect absorption. Too many to list.