1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shin Splints

Discussion in 'Health' started by Konaborne, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Oct 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne [OP] Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    heading to a local running store today, see what I can get
    running along the beach for beach PT day, and now I my shins feel ridiculous.

2. Oct 7, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    stretch before running
    use a sleeve, ace bandage, or tape the legs
    take anti inflammatories (advil, aleve)
    ice after running
    run on the flattest trails / roads possible. run offroad is possible, if it hurts STOP, you will need to build up tolerance
    strengthen your calf muscles
    get a good arch support in your shoe (probably the most important thing you can do except rest)
    the best treatment is resting

shin splints are very, VERY, rarely, fracture in the bones, even hairline is rare.
    it is swelling, stretching or damage, of the connective tissues in the area

3. Oct 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I ran track in high school... if I stretched before I did any running, my shins would hurt afterwards. I had to run to warm up, then could stretch, finish my work out, stretch again afterwards and no pain.

4. Oct 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Definitely go to a running store and have them observe your running style and fit you in the right shoe. My girlfriend is a runner (she runs 3.5 miles a day 6-7 days a week) and she will also tell you how important the shoe is. I used to run as a hobby back in high school and have recently gotten back into it since I started dating her. One brand of shoe may work for someone else but might not be right for you.

The minimalist shoes are really taking off. They basically force you to use the muscles in your foot and legs which traditional running shoes don't. They are essentially like running barefoot but with some protection for the soles of your feet.

My neighbor is a personal trainer and up until about a year ago said he had really bad shin splints, He found it was because of his running style. He actually started running barefoot to correct his running style. When he started changing it, He would run a lap around our subdivision (1.5 miles) barefoot, then he would put on his running shoes and run the rest of his run. Now he runs in Vibrams usually 6+ miles at a time.

Also there is a lot of recent research that shows stretching before running isn't really beneficial and in fact can be harmful. I personally do not stretch.

5. Oct 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    I also had the shin splints for a while and i took the just push through it idea. Now I have a stress fracture and it wont go away I took like 14 weeks off from running and went to spin classes (ass kicker btw) and they started to run again and now guess what? Its back so now im just to the point that is just going to hurt for a little while and deal with it.. So take care of them before it gets bad and turns into a stress fracure..

6. Oct 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    mj918

mj918 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Meg
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Sliver
    3" Toytec Ulitmate Lift 285/70 Wrangler Duracturs 17" American Racing wheels TRD SUPERCHARGER!!! :) TRD Catback to come . . .
    As soon as I changed my shoes, they went away. May not be a bad idea to get a little spendy for a good pair of shoes.

7. Oct 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    [​IMG]

BANG!

Some new Saucony shoes... Feels better for how I run than my New Balance's... I'll see how it works. Thanks guys.

8. Oct 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    davestaco

davestaco TW's number one gear whore

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma xtra cab trd v6 4x4
    gotta love sauconys

9. Oct 9, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    Canuckwithatruck

Canuckwithatruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Bow Lake, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport
    OME 885 Coils Light Racing UCA's Dakar Leaf Pack
    Dynamic stretching before your run
    Static stretching followed by ice after your run
    At home sit on the couch and lay a towel out on the floor. Use your toes to wrinkle the towels towards you, will help strengthen the muscles that are causing the problem. A cold tub is the best option if you have access to one. Submerge everything up to the knee. Don't ice for too long it will start to have a negative effect <15 minutes.

10. Oct 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    will do, thanks!

11. Oct 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    Gluis123

Gluis123 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Hemet, California
    Vehicle:
    '02 2WD 2.4 Tacoma
    I hate shin splints I ran xc my senior year with the worst shoes you can possibly imagine no shin splints. Then I did soccer my sport ;) and no shin splints but when track season came around I bought me some nice nike running shoes and BAM SHIN SPLINTS! I thought I was immune! But I am in college now so it went away go with icing and stretching like the guys above me been saying and yes get some good running shoes I loved my nikes even tho they where expensive they do help out tremendously. God Bless

12. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    How did those new shoes work out for ya?

I constantly have shin splints, they never ever go away. I weigh around 270 pounds, which is really bad but better than when I used to weigh 315, and I live a very active/athletic lifestyle. Did football, indoor and outdoor track all throughout high school and even back then I had them. Now I'm a senior in college and I really want to get into law enforcement or a fire department, so I have been really trying hard to lose weight. My shin splints were getting to the point that I had a real tough time walking with them so I went to a doctor and what he has me do helps (btw this is the third doctor I've seen about it).

He has me:

1. Ice, as other people have said

2. Stretch, especially the calf muscles

3. Naproxen, it is a prescription anti-inflammatory

Those three things have gotten me to the point where I'm not in pain 24/7. . . Maybe going to see a doctor about a prescription anti-inflammatory will help, it sure as hell helped me.

13. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    the new shoes helped a ton! have you tried grabbing some shoes?

I'm not as sore after I run, and the shoes plus the PT we've been doing cut my 2mile time by almost 3 minutes..

14. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME 884X Coil Springs, CS047 Dakar Leaf Springs, 90000 Nitrocharger Sport Front Shocks and N182 Nitrocharger Rear Shocks, Light Racing UCAs, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Leer 100XQ Cap, 3/4" Plywood Carpeted Bed Platform, Thule Rack System w/4 Rocky Mounts PitchFork bike mounts, Pop & Lock PL5300, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch Mod, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod, FLYZEYE Designs TCMA-0511 V2W LED Light, Go Rhino Dominator II SideSteps, HitchSafe, Console Vault, Fumoto F-103N Oil Drain Valve
  15. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    That's awsome, I have gone to a running place near my house. They gave me some motion control shoes that are supposed to limit the role my foot does as I run. Glad to hear the shoes helped.

16. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    New (properly fit) shoes and improve form.

Products Discussed in

To Top