1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lap Band?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Chriskn1690, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    Well. . . This is kind of embarassing but I don't know what else to do. I've been to the point where I have weighed 315 pounds, and I've been down to as low as 220 pounds. My weight fluctuates like crazy, and I have always been on the heavier side. I am trying to lose weight to live a healthier lifestyle as well as to get a career in law enforcement or a fire department. Currently I'm at 270, and I'm getting somewhat desperate to lose this weight. I work out at least 5x a week, consisting of cardio and lifting weights, but I can't seem to take the weight off lately. I have been dieting and excercising fairly well for over a years timespan now, and I've been consistantly between 250 and 270.

My mom is also heavy and one of her friends did the lap band and lost a ton of weight. She wants me to go to a seminar with her tonight because she's thinking of doing it herself, so it has been getting me thinking if I should get it done as well.

Anyone have any experiences with the lap band, anyone that has done it, any advice at all?

2. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Do you weigh enough, it seems like people I have heard of with that were quite a bit bigger than that. How tall are you?

3. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Have you been to the doc to get other medical issues ruled out?

Not picking, just asking... you say you've been working out etc, but have you been eating a balanced / healthy diet? And cut out the junk food, soda, etc.

4. Oct 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    I am 5ft 8in, you need to have a BMI of 40 to get it done. I have a 41.9. I was also thinking the same thing, not big enough or something, but as long as your over a 40 they can do it. I do have a pretty good diet. I went a few very long months of eating crazy healthy, but I only lost just over 10 pounds and I put it all back on in a week and a half. I just gain so quickly and lose so slowly. Been thinking about getting this as a tool to help me get down to about 200 and stay there once I'm down there.

Seminar is tonight at 6:30, see what the doctor has to say.

5. Oct 13, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Sounds like you could be an ideal candidate. I hope this works for you...I have witnessed friends and coworkers go through this procedure. Most lost hundreds of pounds and kept it off, while a few put most back on...at least one person who put it back on comes in with McDonald's every moring to work though.

Best wishes. :D

6. Oct 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Thank you, that is really good to hear. I just would really like to be in the 180 to 200 range and I honestly can't get there myself. Been struggling with weight my entire life.

7. Oct 13, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Go to the seminar and listen closely to what they have to say. Find a good gastrologist talk to him about it, your family MD can point you to a few good guys. My dad had it done and has lost almost 130 pounds. He had some complications and had to have it removed and replaced it with the whole bypass. It seemed to be a hard surgery to me as an outsider looking in, but any surgery is. He doesn't regret it a bit. They usually have support groups for people who have done the surgery I'd suggest you find one, go to it, and talk to the people who have had it done.
    Edit: Gastric not Geriatric.

8. Oct 13, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    OP is only 21. :eek:

Sounds like ultimately this worked out well for your father...it is amazing to me that this surgery even exists. I'm sure it has added many, many years to multiple lives. :)

9. Oct 13, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    ive known a few guys who have done it, and lost alot of weight.

I have a friend who wore a 3x shirt for a long, long time..Decided to join a gym one day..Now 8 months later, hes in a large..it can be done, goodluck.

Im personally going to join a gym soon, since daylight savings time is comming and theres nothing to do in the dark anyways..lol

10. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Lol at the geriatric comment :D

11. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I have a 4 hour long nursing class and that was the subject of the day so I've been confusing it a lot today. I corrected it. lol:eek:

12. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    I say negative to the lap band. My sister inlaw had hers removed because the scar tissue was causing problems. A good exercize program will be of greater benifit to you. Along with a good diet and a work out buddy to keep you both motivated, Good luck.

13. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    In my opinion you're too young for something like that. Not trying to start a :crapstorm: and I'm not a doctor or claim to know about this system but your body will undergo a lot of changes in the next 5 - 10 years. With proper diet and excercise, you won't stay at 280 (unless, as ImpulseRed said, there's an underlying medical condition). I don't doubt that you work out or that you're tired when you're done but that also doesn't mean that the routene you're doing is effective or what you're eating is helping you lose weight.

Not trying to mount an attack but I don't think jumping to surgery for a quick fix is easy and want to make sure you really have ruled out your other, healthier options.

14. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i would not get it. risks outweight benefits. I see tons of poeple with this and many have issues (stomach pain, vomiting, malnutrition, bowel obstruction, infection...) i would also say that over 50% gain the weight right back in a year or 2. IMO it should be used as a last resort. I would see the Dr to have them check you out, then see a dietitian or nutritionist and a trainer. I bet you could drop 30lbs by the time the snow accumulates and 50+ by spring. Most bariatric (Dr's who do this surgery) will require their patients to lose some weight pre surgery, if you meet your goal of weight lost then he will see that you are serious enough to take care of yourself and will do it, but by the time you lose the weight you will see its not all that hard and your BMI will be lower and they in turn will not do the operation.

15. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I would look at something like this as a last resort.

I weighted 260lbs when I moved down here to Orlando in March of 2010. My brother kicked my ass in the gym everyday, I ate all organic, cut out all of the soda and junk and I got down to 214lbs and was able to run 4 miles straight. I know to some of you marathon runners/triathletes this sounds piddly but for me...this was HUGE.

I'm 6' and have a "large frame" according to my doc, but if I can do it, anybody can do it.

What is your exact diet and exercise regiment? There are a TON of very knowledgeable folks on here that know WAY more about diet and exercise than I do. I'm sure they can get some more info from you and really help mold your plan into something that will work for you.

IMO, you are WAY too young for a Lap Belt.

Let us know how the seminar goes.

Fink

16. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    From what I'm seeing, lap band seems to be a temporary solution. A few people I know personally who had it are gaining the weight back. If you are serious about losing the weight, do it the safe way and stick to it. If you can't change your lifestyle now, how will you change it later?

17. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    pm me if you have any questions maybe i can help you out bud. i'm a nutritionist and personal trainer.

18. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    do this ^^^^^^^^^^^

19. Oct 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    jbrooks

jbrooks Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    I understand your predicament. I'm 50, 6'1" and 260. I have been heavy most of my whole life. Weight loss is hard, there is no shortcuts.

I am also in the medical field and I have personally seen people professional and family/friends who have had bariatric surgery who initially lost a lot of weight but eventually gain it all back or more.

If people don't change the habits that got them to be overweight to start with; it's improbable that weight loss can be sustained. I speaking from my own experience.

Also you describe that some of your family members have the same problems. Two things; you have learned bad habits about food and exercise as a child and probably more importantly that you are genetically predisposed to be the similar body type as one or both of your parents.

Again, I'm not slamming you, this applies to myself.

You man not be the ideal Hollywood heart throb body but you can be a healthier you. Take a serious look at what you eat. My weakness is craft beer and the kegorator doesn't make it easier. Try to cut out all refined foods.

I've done weight watchers and Jenny Craig where I got down to 195 while in the Air Force. It's embarrassing as a guy to do either one but it helps to be held accountable.

Find some exercise that you enjoy. In the Air Force I was crazy about racquet ball and mountain biking. Find something you enjoy and some people to do it with.

Lifting weights will help transform you and the additional muscle will help boast your metabolism. I'm currently is eating half of what I normally eat and working towards running a 5K in a month. After that it's back in the gym to add back lifting to the running.

I picked up 20 lbs in the last six months during a stressful time where I couldn't work out. I was using a trainer and was heading in the right direction until I got side tracked. Are you in a stressful situation? Reaction to stress will also make it hard to lose weight.

As a medical person I would recommend getting a check up and lab work. Low thyroid and testosterone will make it difficult to lose weight.

Good luck, get some professional help to start with: a medical checkup, nutritional advice and accountability, maybe a professional trainer or someone who can help you start exercising the right way to prevent injury.

20. Oct 13, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    jbrooks

jbrooks Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    I'm sorry, I re-read your post and I see that you are working out a lot.

Maybe you might try cross training. My son was put on the weight management program in the Air Force and he had to go to a mandatory exercise program. They did the P90X. He dropped weight like crazy.

I know that's pricy but you probably can find the Marine core workout on line. It would help you get in shape for law enforcement or the fire department.

Again I wish you the best!

Products Discussed in

To Top