Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Lap Band?

Old 10-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Chriskn1690 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Chriskn1690's Tacoma Gallery
Lap Band?

Well. . . This is kind of embarassing but I don't know what else to do. I've been to the point where I have weighed 315 pounds, and I've been down to as low as 220 pounds. My weight fluctuates like crazy, and I have always been on the heavier side. I am trying to lose weight to live a healthier lifestyle as well as to get a career in law enforcement or a fire department. Currently I'm at 270, and I'm getting somewhat desperate to lose this weight. I work out at least 5x a week, consisting of cardio and lifting weights, but I can't seem to take the weight off lately. I have been dieting and excercising fairly well for over a years timespan now, and I've been consistantly between 250 and 270.

My mom is also heavy and one of her friends did the lap band and lost a ton of weight. She wants me to go to a seminar with her tonight because she's thinking of doing it herself, so it has been getting me thinking if I should get it done as well.

Anyone have any experiences with the lap band, anyone that has done it, any advice at all?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Do you weigh enough, it seems like people I have heard of with that were quite a bit bigger than that. How tall are you?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Have you been to the doc to get other medical issues ruled out?

Not picking, just asking... you say you've been working out etc, but have you been eating a balanced / healthy diet? And cut out the junk food, soda, etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #4

I am 5ft 8in, you need to have a BMI of 40 to get it done. I have a 41.9. I was also thinking the same thing, not big enough or something, but as long as your over a 40 they can do it. I do have a pretty good diet. I went a few very long months of eating crazy healthy, but I only lost just over 10 pounds and I put it all back on in a week and a half. I just gain so quickly and lose so slowly. Been thinking about getting this as a tool to help me get down to about 200 and stay there once I'm down there.

Seminar is tonight at 6:30, see what the doctor has to say.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskn1690 View Post
I am 5ft 8in, you need to have a BMI of 40 to get it done. I have a 41.9. I was also thinking the same thing, not big enough or something, but as long as your over a 40 they can do it. I do have a pretty good diet. I went a few very long months of eating crazy healthy, but I only lost just over 10 pounds and I put it all back on in a week and a half. I just gain so quickly and lose so slowly. Been thinking about getting this as a tool to help me get down to about 200 and stay there once I'm down there.

Seminar is tonight at 6:30, see what the doctor has to say.
Sounds like you could be an ideal candidate. I hope this works for you...I have witnessed friends and coworkers go through this procedure. Most lost hundreds of pounds and kept it off, while a few put most back on...at least one person who put it back on comes in with McDonald's every moring to work though.

Best wishes.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Sounds like you could be an ideal candidate. I hope this works for you...I have witnessed friends and coworkers go through this procedure. Most lost hundreds of pounds and kept it off, while a few put most back on...at least one person who put it back on comes in with McDonald's every moring to work though.

Best wishes.
Thank you, that is really good to hear. I just would really like to be in the 180 to 200 range and I honestly can't get there myself. Been struggling with weight my entire life.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Go to the seminar and listen closely to what they have to say. Find a good gastrologist talk to him about it, your family MD can point you to a few good guys. My dad had it done and has lost almost 130 pounds. He had some complications and had to have it removed and replaced it with the whole bypass. It seemed to be a hard surgery to me as an outsider looking in, but any surgery is. He doesn't regret it a bit. They usually have support groups for people who have done the surgery I'd suggest you find one, go to it, and talk to the people who have had it done.
Edit: Gastric not Geriatric.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Find a good geriatric doctor talk to him about it, your family MD can point you to a few good guys.
OP is only 21.

Sounds like ultimately this worked out well for your father...it is amazing to me that this surgery even exists. I'm sure it has added many, many years to multiple lives.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
ive known a few guys who have done it, and lost alot of weight.

I have a friend who wore a 3x shirt for a long, long time..Decided to join a gym one day..Now 8 months later, hes in a large..it can be done, goodluck.

Im personally going to join a gym soon, since daylight savings time is comming and theres nothing to do in the dark anyways..lol
Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
Lol at the geriatric comment
Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiddly33 View Post
Lol at the geriatric comment
I have a 4 hour long nursing class and that was the subject of the day so I've been confusing it a lot today. I corrected it. lol
Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
I say negative to the lap band. My sister inlaw had hers removed because the scar tissue was causing problems. A good exercize program will be of greater benifit to you. Along with a good diet and a work out buddy to keep you both motivated, Good luck.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion you're too young for something like that. Not trying to start a and I'm not a doctor or claim to know about this system but your body will undergo a lot of changes in the next 5 - 10 years. With proper diet and excercise, you won't stay at 280 (unless, as ImpulseRed said, there's an underlying medical condition). I don't doubt that you work out or that you're tired when you're done but that also doesn't mean that the routene you're doing is effective or what you're eating is helping you lose weight.

Not trying to mount an attack but I don't think jumping to surgery for a quick fix is easy and want to make sure you really have ruled out your other, healthier options.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i would not get it. risks outweight benefits. I see tons of poeple with this and many have issues (stomach pain, vomiting, malnutrition, bowel obstruction, infection...) i would also say that over 50% gain the weight right back in a year or 2. IMO it should be used as a last resort. I would see the Dr to have them check you out, then see a dietitian or nutritionist and a trainer. I bet you could drop 30lbs by the time the snow accumulates and 50+ by spring. Most bariatric (Dr's who do this surgery) will require their patients to lose some weight pre surgery, if you meet your goal of weight lost then he will see that you are serious enough to take care of yourself and will do it, but by the time you lose the weight you will see its not all that hard and your BMI will be lower and they in turn will not do the operation.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
I would look at something like this as a last resort.

I weighted 260lbs when I moved down here to Orlando in March of 2010. My brother kicked my ass in the gym everyday, I ate all organic, cut out all of the soda and junk and I got down to 214lbs and was able to run 4 miles straight. I know to some of you marathon runners/triathletes this sounds piddly but for me...this was HUGE.

I'm 6' and have a "large frame" according to my doc, but if I can do it, anybody can do it.

What is your exact diet and exercise regiment? There are a TON of very knowledgeable folks on here that know WAY more about diet and exercise than I do. I'm sure they can get some more info from you and really help mold your plan into something that will work for you.

IMO, you are WAY too young for a Lap Belt.

Let us know how the seminar goes.

Fink
Old 10-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
From what I'm seeing, lap band seems to be a temporary solution. A few people I know personally who had it are gaining the weight back. If you are serious about losing the weight, do it the safe way and stick to it. If you can't change your lifestyle now, how will you change it later?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
pm me if you have any questions maybe i can help you out bud. i'm a nutritionist and personal trainer.
do this ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #19
jbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: CRNA
jbrooks's Tacoma Gallery
I understand your predicament. I'm 50, 6'1" and 260. I have been heavy most of my whole life. Weight loss is hard, there is no shortcuts.

I am also in the medical field and I have personally seen people professional and family/friends who have had bariatric surgery who initially lost a lot of weight but eventually gain it all back or more.

If people don't change the habits that got them to be overweight to start with; it's improbable that weight loss can be sustained. I speaking from my own experience.

Also you describe that some of your family members have the same problems. Two things; you have learned bad habits about food and exercise as a child and probably more importantly that you are genetically predisposed to be the similar body type as one or both of your parents.

Again, I'm not slamming you, this applies to myself.

You man not be the ideal Hollywood heart throb body but you can be a healthier you. Take a serious look at what you eat. My weakness is craft beer and the kegorator doesn't make it easier. Try to cut out all refined foods.

I've done weight watchers and Jenny Craig where I got down to 195 while in the Air Force. It's embarrassing as a guy to do either one but it helps to be held accountable.

Find some exercise that you enjoy. In the Air Force I was crazy about racquet ball and mountain biking. Find something you enjoy and some people to do it with.

Lifting weights will help transform you and the additional muscle will help boast your metabolism. I'm currently is eating half of what I normally eat and working towards running a 5K in a month. After that it's back in the gym to add back lifting to the running.

I picked up 20 lbs in the last six months during a stressful time where I couldn't work out. I was using a trainer and was heading in the right direction until I got side tracked. Are you in a stressful situation? Reaction to stress will also make it hard to lose weight.

As a medical person I would recommend getting a check up and lab work. Low thyroid and testosterone will make it difficult to lose weight.

Good luck, get some professional help to start with: a medical checkup, nutritional advice and accountability, maybe a professional trainer or someone who can help you start exercising the right way to prevent injury.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #20
jbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: CRNA
jbrooks's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sorry, I re-read your post and I see that you are working out a lot.

Maybe you might try cross training. My son was put on the weight management program in the Air Force and he had to go to a mandatory exercise program. They did the P90X. He dropped weight like crazy.

I know that's pricy but you probably can find the Marine core workout on line. It would help you get in shape for law enforcement or the fire department.

Again I wish you the best!