1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quitting smoking techniques?

Discussion in 'Health' started by FLtaco, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Congrats on your efforts so far!! You are doing well if you haven't had one yet! I found what worked for me is to take the money that you would have smoked and put it in a see through jar. I used to smoke BAD...a pack a day. I put the $5.00 that I would have spent on the pack and put it in full view on the kitchen table. I labeled the jar "exhaust", with the intention of buying an exhaust for my car with the money saved as a reward for not smoking. Every day I saw that money grow, which gave me more incentive. By the time I had enough money, I had not smoked enough to where it was okay enough not to need the jar.

Do you have any desire for a truck mod? :D

Good luck to you! And don't give up!! You are doing really good right now and off to a good start!! WOOT!!

2. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    beerking

beerking Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Access V6 TRD Sport
    All-pro APEX front bumper, 4xInnovation sliders w/kickouts, ATO front skid, Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Icon 2.5 Front coilovers with 700lb King shocks, 5100's on the rear, TSB Toytec AAL, slimcubby HID headlights, debadged, Magnaflow muffler, AFE drop-in, Python 991 Remote start/alarm, Clarion NX501, Wet Okole's, Weathertech digifit floor mats, Midland CB, Blue 4' Firestik II, Tailgate anti-theft mod, power tailgate lock, rear differential breather relocation & yellow wire mod.
    True, but only in the chemical addiction sense. Nicotine and smoking is still a physical and psychological addiction.

3. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    3 step process:
    1. Throw away cigarettes
    2. Don't buy any more cigarettes
    3. Enjoy breathing fresh air

Done :cool:

4. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    mdub

mdub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black DBLC TRD Off-Road
    ARE CX
    Get a Tin of Altoids and change your habits. What was your trigger for that morning cigarette? Was it a cup of coffee? A morning dookie? Did you always have one after a meal? Have an altoid. Did you have one first thing when you got in the truck to go to work? Have an altoid. Did you have to have one with each beer? don't have an altoid. that would just taste horrible. Quitting smoking is as much about changing your habits as it is not having a cigarette. Go for a walk after each meal instead of having a cigarette. Drink tea instead of coffee if that means you won't be tempted to have a cigarette.

Most important thing for me was also realizing I was the one who did this to myself. No one else did it. I have the power to control what I do, not 20 sticks of tobacco. I won't get mad at people just because I was stupid enough to start smoking.

Oh ya... and two years from now, when you are in a bar and you think you can have just one with your buddies.... don't do it. Buddy, don't do it.

Best of luck to ya. You can do it.

5. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    the best and most hilarious advice in this thread. :rofl:

6. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    I used the patch and Ive been smoke free a year and a half but you also have to WANT to quit. If your quitting just because you want extra cash or some other shit, it wont work. You have to WANT to quit....I cannot stress that enough.

7. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    the best thing is just a real want to to end it. if you're not commited 100% it wont happen

8. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    Bobber Bill

Bobber Bill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    Tell your friends and family that you're going to quit. Have them keep you accountable by asking you how it's going whenever they see you.

I quit cold turkey at the start of this year after 14 yrs of a pack a day. It feels really good to be able to say that I haven't given in while everybody else uses the "I only smoke socially or when I drink", excuse.

Chewing gum helps with the oral fixation. Get some Trident Whitening. That way instead of stinkin up your breath and yellowing your teeth, you'll be whitening and freshening up your smile! :D

9. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    BattleStatic

BattleStatic Gluten Free

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Goodyear
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O.R. 4x4
    OME 885's w/Nitro Chargers and Dakar rear leafs ATX AX199 Mohave I I (0 offset, 4.5" bs) BFG KM2 285 75 16 Avid Sliders w/ kickoffs Pelfreybilt rack w/ Tepui RTT Katzkin front and rear Sunroof

I was a pack an a half a day smoker for 15 years. Read Allen Carr's book and have not even attempted to want a cigarette for two years now. My wife has read the book and watched the DVD, my father has read the book. None of us smoke anymore. I think I was about 3 chapters into the book and was already cutting back my smoking. If you follow what you read you can't go wrong. I save myself about $350-$400 a month now and I've never felt healthier.

10. Oct 25, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    FLtaco

FLtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    1 pack a day.

11. Oct 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    Yea worst part is driving I usually light a cig

12. Oct 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Thanks for advice gentlemen.

13. Oct 25, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I quit cold turkey 8 yrs ago.....picked up again a year and a half ago duing some rought times....quit cold turkey 2 weeks ago. I don't miss it....except when I played golf last Saturday!!! UGH!!!

14. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Yea I smoked 1 today. But that's only 1 in 24hrs. It's hard. Especially with after meals. In morning and driving. But I can do it

15. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    ALawrence

ALawrence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Sr5 Double cab 4x4
    i had a buddy that would go masterbate every time he needed a smoke.... he said it was like 30 times that day... that his dick was bright red.. but he didnt smoke.. think it only worked for a day...

i tried welburtron, but gave me fucked up dreams. then tried the patch, but would still smoke on it... i never quit really but cut down to maybe 3 or 4 a day tops...

16. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    After spending time looking around at the people dying slowly in the waiting room at the cancer radiation treatment center, I thought , what a douche bag I am smoking on the way over here. I threw my smokes out the window after 20 years at 2 packs a day and never had a puff since then. That was 12 years ago, I am cancer free still.
    They don't run my life, I am not a slave. I make the rules!

17. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    ALawrence

ALawrence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Sr5 Double cab 4x4
    congrats for being cancer free. thats a big deal. what bigger motivation that to quit smoking. when i got married my wife made me promise that i'd quit smoking, her gradfather was dyeing of lung cancer. a life time smoker, smoked the day he died. that should be motivation enough for me, or anyone.

18. Nov 3, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    beerking

beerking Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Access V6 TRD Sport
    All-pro APEX front bumper, 4xInnovation sliders w/kickouts, ATO front skid, Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Icon 2.5 Front coilovers with 700lb King shocks, 5100's on the rear, TSB Toytec AAL, slimcubby HID headlights, debadged, Magnaflow muffler, AFE drop-in, Python 991 Remote start/alarm, Clarion NX501, Wet Okole's, Weathertech digifit floor mats, Midland CB, Blue 4' Firestik II, Tailgate anti-theft mod, power tailgate lock, rear differential breather relocation & yellow wire mod.
    Keep fighting the good fight man!

19. Nov 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    wags

wags Well-Known Member

Member:
    Walleye Capital of the World, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 2.7L 5-Speed Manual SR5 4x4
    I tried them all: accupunture, hypnosis, patch, wellbutrin, chantix even a witch doctor in a grass skirt blowing powder in my eyes! You'll quit when your ready, and nothing else will work until you the user is ready. Took me upteen times and numerous years before I finally quit after on/off smoking 35 years. Good luck!

20. Dec 31, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    cavince

cavince Active Member

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    23 Black SR5 DC
    I tried the patch, the gum, and Wellbutrin.

My success came after the Welplex Shot. It was pricey, but I figured it was about 3-4 months worth of cigarettes. That was over 4.5 years ago, and I haven't touched one since.

Products Discussed in

To Top