Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Quitting smoking techniques?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quitting smoking techniques?

Today I started the patch and have been awake for 6 hours and still no cigarette. As of yesterday I was a pack a day smoker for probably 6-7 years. Any tips from anyone who's quit on ways to easy the want/cravings for cigs? Patch is working but I still get cravings like every 30min to hour.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
With each day it will pass. I chewed tobacco from the age of 12 to 34. And just quit cold turkey.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
homer96 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh...or Homer
homer96's Tacoma Gallery
I started quitting today too...not because I want to, but because I'm broke. lol
Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
My Girlfriends psych prof told her the most successful way is to quit cold turkey.

with all the quit smoking gums and the patch, you're just teasing yourself, and keeping that nicotine coming in.

you've also got to want to quit, not just because people are telling you to quit.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
girlfriend/wife/friend with this

have em hit ya each time you go for a cigarette

you'l quit....trust me

this is how i got my brother to stop sucking his thumb (i'm kidding)
Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
I used the nicotine gum and it worked for me. Haven't had a cigarette in 14 years. However, I do still get cravings for one every now and then. I don't think that ever really goes away. Good luck to you! Hope you remain smoke free.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
I quit cold turkey about 3 years ago. Feels nice not being dependant on something. Though I do miss it every once in a while. Hardest part was being around smokers while at a bar. Haven't even't had a drag once since.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
mak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mak90's Tacoma Gallery
Quit cold turkey 5 years ago, i was not fun to be around for the first month or so. Like Hot Tamale said the cravings come around every so often best way i found to get over that was stand by someone who just got done smoking, smells bad.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
They sell tea tree therapy toothpicks that work great for in betweens.
You can buy them at amazon or whole foods or health food store.
Friends have used them while quitting & claim they work great.
Hang in there, I wish you the best in quitting smoking.
Attached Thumbnails
Quitting smoking techniques?-31iaw6ne2pl__sl500_aa300_.jpg  
Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Go visit some cancer patients at the hospital. That should do it
Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for advice and photos fellas lol
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
T man is on a distinguished road

T man's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this thread. Vaporizing is the only thing that worked for me.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hea...ternative.html
Old 10-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtaco View Post
Today I started the patch and have been awake for 6 hours and still no cigarette. As of yesterday I was a pack a day smoker for probably 6-7 years. Any tips from anyone who's quit on ways to easy the want/cravings for cigs? Patch is working but I still get cravings like every 30min to hour.
I went with the patch, and it worked just fine.

The chemical addiction is easy to kick, it's the physical addiction that's a bitch.

You will always have cravings. You will have to teach your brain not to follow through with them.

I'm at 130 days right now.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
FLtaco, how many packs were you at?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #16
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak90 View Post
Quit cold turkey 5 years ago, i was not fun to be around for the first month or so. Like Hot Tamale said the cravings come around every so often best way i found to get over that was stand by someone who just got done smoking, smells bad.
You're right! They really smell disgusting after smoking! Funny how we never noticed it when we were the ones smoking.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #17

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
That's true. It's a disgusting smell.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #18
beerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Flightline Avionics Technician
Name: Trey
beerking's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pick up Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking." The best 9 bucks I ever spent. It's no guarantee but when I began reading it, I most definitely was not planning on quitting as soon as I did. 3 days later I had finished the book and smoked my last cigarette. That was 4 years ago and I've never felt better and I've saved a ton of cash. Like I said, it's no guarantee but all you have to lose is the 9 bucks it costs for the book and everything to gain. Best of luck to you!

Here's a link to the book on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-...mm_pap_title_0

Edit for background info: I smoked for 9 years, between a half pack to a pack per day.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
just remember, you're not addicted to cigarettes at all (seriously). despite what is generally thought, your brain doesn't get addicted to nicotine. nicotine just stimulates that natural release of a chemical your body makes called dopamine (and yep, that's what causes the headaches and withdraws). it just so happens that nicotine is one of the most cost effective ways to release a noticeable amount (compared to cocaine, constant eating and sex every time you get a craving). if you can apply that psychological logic to it, it will probably help. . . . can't speak for it personally though, im a smokeless guy.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #20
rexel is on a distinguished road
rexel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for advice and photos fellas lol

I used laser treatment....craving gone immediately and not irritable, it's been 4 years!