1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can you just jump into HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)???

Discussion in 'Health' started by Bishop2Queens6, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    I haven't seen the inside of a gym since June, and I want to get back into it and fast. I know HIIT gets great results and super fast, but can someone just jump into it?

I know there will be some puking, a lot of pain, and feeling winded constantly, but I don't mind the pain, and I can/will push, but will pushing that hard without any form of lead up training lead to a severe injury?

I was in pretty good shape before my knee injury at the beginning of June (worn meniscus). Doctors orders where just to rest and allow it to heal, or else if I kept up the pace I would have knee replacement surgery at 22 yrs old.

So at my peak at May/June:
    -6'1" 167lbs
    -Bench 255 lbs (Military Press)
    -Ran sub 6 min miles
    -Cleared sub 8 min miles on the stair stepper (My preferrence over a treadmill)
    -Curling 50 lbs per arm
    -Took a kickboxing class once to twice a week to work my smaller muscle groups and keep limber
    -My warm up was 40 min of cardio split between the treadmill and stair stepper (Total 6 miles) before hitting the weights or a class.
    -I also rode my bike to work/school round trip 30 miles 6 days a week, so that's prolly did me in. I have since been taking the Taco and just paying out the ass for gas.

I wasn't concerned about being "built." My genetic potential is immensely low, so I can't gain any muscle mass, just be really well toned. I was more concerned about being able to have endurance and overall fitness.

2. Nov 22, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    JRader1790

JRader1790 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pascagoula
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4x4
    Growing up I was never exactly the skinniest of the bunch, normally bigger than all my friends, but I still lived an active lifestyle. Well, I jumped straight into HIIT last July when me and my girlfriend broke up and dropped from 282 to 232 in just under 2 months and was really pleased with where my body was going. I was also curling 50lbs per arm, my run times dropped significantly, and overall I just felt better. We got back together last October and over the past year have put about 40lbs of that back on. Well, I have about had enough of it and I'm about to jump right back into the same HIIT routine that I had during our break up and see if I can drop back down and get where I need to be.

Sorry for such a long post, the point I was trying to get at is that I just jumped straight into HIIT without any type of training to build my body up first and it did not result in any form of serious injury.

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    kk .Thanks for the response.

4. Nov 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    i would just make sure your within the recomeded repetitions of what ever your program suggests. make sure your not getting to the recomended repetitions with ease, but your failing within one or two reps away from the max recomended rep range. Good luck in your program

Products Discussed in

To Top