Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Can you just jump into HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)???

Old 11-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Can you just jump into HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)???

I haven't seen the inside of a gym since June, and I want to get back into it and fast. I know HIIT gets great results and super fast, but can someone just jump into it?

I know there will be some puking, a lot of pain, and feeling winded constantly, but I don't mind the pain, and I can/will push, but will pushing that hard without any form of lead up training lead to a severe injury?

I was in pretty good shape before my knee injury at the beginning of June (worn meniscus). Doctors orders where just to rest and allow it to heal, or else if I kept up the pace I would have knee replacement surgery at 22 yrs old.

So at my peak at May/June:
-6'1" 167lbs
-Bench 255 lbs (Military Press)
-Ran sub 6 min miles
-Cleared sub 8 min miles on the stair stepper (My preferrence over a treadmill)
-Curling 50 lbs per arm
-Took a kickboxing class once to twice a week to work my smaller muscle groups and keep limber
-My warm up was 40 min of cardio split between the treadmill and stair stepper (Total 6 miles) before hitting the weights or a class.
-I also rode my bike to work/school round trip 30 miles 6 days a week, so that's prolly did me in. I have since been taking the Taco and just paying out the ass for gas.

I wasn't concerned about being "built." My genetic potential is immensely low, so I can't gain any muscle mass, just be really well toned. I was more concerned about being able to have endurance and overall fitness.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
JRader1790 is a splendid one to beholdJRader1790 is a splendid one to beholdJRader1790 is a splendid one to beholdJRader1790 is a splendid one to beholdJRader1790 is a splendid one to beholdJRader1790 is a splendid one to beholdJRader1790 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Josh
JRader1790's Tacoma Gallery
Growing up I was never exactly the skinniest of the bunch, normally bigger than all my friends, but I still lived an active lifestyle. Well, I jumped straight into HIIT last July when me and my girlfriend broke up and dropped from 282 to 232 in just under 2 months and was really pleased with where my body was going. I was also curling 50lbs per arm, my run times dropped significantly, and overall I just felt better. We got back together last October and over the past year have put about 40lbs of that back on. Well, I have about had enough of it and I'm about to jump right back into the same HIIT routine that I had during our break up and see if I can drop back down and get where I need to be.

Sorry for such a long post, the point I was trying to get at is that I just jumped straight into HIIT without any type of training to build my body up first and it did not result in any form of serious injury.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
kk .Thanks for the response.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
i would just make sure your within the recomeded repetitions of what ever your program suggests. make sure your not getting to the recomended repetitions with ease, but your failing within one or two reps away from the max recomended rep range. Good luck in your program