Good info for wedding band wearers!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
coupe85k is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: 2nd Class Electricians Mate
Name: Kyle
coupe85k's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to coupe85k
Good info for wedding band wearers!

I had been wearing my ring for few years now and ran into an issue with a rash developing under the ring.
So i took it off thinking nothing about it and let it go away on its own, so i put the ring back on and 3 days later its back. I fought with this for a year trying creams, medicines, and soaking the ring in various things, I just couldn't seem to get rid of this. Till finally i found a web site of similar people having this same issue.

The cure: Boil the ring in water for 15-20 minutes

I was skeptical but hey its worth a try. So I boiled the ring ring, lat the rash completely heal and put the ring back on. What do you know it's been a month and no more rash.

Figured this was worth sharing.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Lost mine years ago. My wife won't buy me a new one. She wants everyone to think I'm a middle aged single loser.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What was the issue with the ring that boiling cures and what's your ring made out of?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
My ring is made out of tungsten.

From what i could find it's a form of athletes foot, sounds gross yes.
But that bacteria hides in micro pores in metals that soaking won't get to it.
So by boiling you raise the entire rings temperature to over 200 DEG, which is plenty enough to kill bacteria hiding any where in the ring.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
have never had that issue, but if it happens i'll remember this thread. thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar issue with my college ring (gold) but not my wedding band (tungsten carbide). Turns out gold is poreous and can collect all sorts of bacteria, fungi, etc. Boiling it will work as will cleaning it with a disinfectant but it can come back. Best bet is to clean it regularly (and keep your hand away from nasty stuff).
Old 12-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
johnanm will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Pilot
johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Lost mine years ago. My wife won't buy me a new one. She wants everyone to think I'm a middle aged single WINNER.
FIFY
Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
HIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Angel
HIYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe85k View Post

So by boiling you raise the entire rings temperature to over 200 DEG, which is plenty enough to kill bacteria hiding any where in the ring.
I've never had this issue but if it happens I'll remember this. I do however have the issue of my tungsten ring fading every couple of months. I got a lifetime warrenty from Zale so I just replace it but it's a PITA to give the ring back just so I can get a new one.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIYota View Post
I've never had this issue but if it happens I'll remember this. I do however have the issue of my tungsten ring fading every couple of months. I got a lifetime warrenty from Zale so I just replace it but it's a PITA to give the ring back just so I can get a new one.
I didn't think Tungsten faded, I've had mine for 4 years and it still looks like the day i bought it.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
HIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Angel
HIYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't think Tungsten faded, I've had mine for 4 years and it still looks like the day i bought it.
Yea I'll take a pic when I can...I'm on my 3rd ring now in under 3 years. My wife seems to think it's my smoking or something with my skin. The ring I am wearing now is faded now and only got it replaced 3 months ago.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
sprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sprocketdog's Tacoma Gallery
I have been wearing my titanium ring for 7 years non stop and never had any issues.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketdog View Post
I have been wearing my titanium ring for 7 years non stop and never had any issues.
Careful with titanium, make sure you can still get it off. I'd heard they can't cut titanium rings off because they're too hard.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
sprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sprocketdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Careful with titanium, make sure you can still get it off. I'd heard they can't cut titanium rings off because they're too hard.
Yeah I have heard the same issues, that is why i got it a little over sized now a calis has formed in front of it to keep it from sliding off. i have noticed though if I have my hands in water for a great deal of time the swelling gets a little snug.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
i got married in a nice gold ring, but I seemed to beat the shit out of it between working on the truck, fishing, work, etc .. I ended up getting a cheap stainless steel one off of ebay and use this ring day to day.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
MyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really nice

MyYota05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Lost mine years ago. My wife won't buy me a new one. She wants everyone to think I'm a middle aged single loser.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I don't even wear mine since they tell me it's to dangerous in my line of work.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #17
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Not true
Old 12-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Not true
Really? I'm actually looking for my band now and that's what the jeweler told me. To be honest, that's why I stopped looking at titanium. So they can be cut off if need be?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #19
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

i have a trew tungsten wedding band and no funky rash here

try washing your hands more lol