LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

ever been allergic to laundry detergent?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #21
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
bought some of my old detergent today and am rewashing clothes with 2 rinses. i now have one on my ear and 3 more on my arms, but if it dont stop i may go to the doc in the midst of flu season
Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #22
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I was but it turned out I am allergic to the chlorie in the tap water. Since I stopped drinking tap water and just drink bottled water I have stopped itching. I had this problem for several years. Do you itch after a shower..........
Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #23
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like nobody mentioned Dreft.

This is what the doctors recommend for new babies since they have such sensitive skin. Pretty sure it's safe.

And also, for anyone else out there, use liquid not powder. Powder doesn't dissolve properly and will sometimes stay in the fabric, especially with cold water use.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #24
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Looks like nobody mentioned Dreft.
I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
My ex GF was allergic. I was using Dreft until the day we broke up
Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #25
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
I did
Whoops! My apologies! Well I second your recommendation!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #26
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detnight View Post
I thought I was but it turned out I am allergic to the chlorie in the tap water. Since I stopped drinking tap water and just drink bottled water I have stopped itching. I had this problem for several years. Do you itch after a shower..........
no, i thin im going to go to the doc though, i get more bumps on my arms past my elbow every night and it itches so bad it keeps me up
Old 12-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #27
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
This might be a weird thought....

Have you been outside hiking or in the woods lately?

If yes....do you think you've come in contact with Poison Ivy?

I went through 2 weeks of small itchy dots all over my body back in the spring. I thought I was allergic to laundry detergent and tried different types, etc.

For me - it was poison ivy. Although it had been weeks that I'd been in the woods, I kept re-infecting myself with the poison ivy oils because the oils were everywhere. I ended up using alcohol and wiping everything down in my truck (steering wheels, seats, shifter, seatbelts, etc). If it gets on something and you don't wipe it off....you'll continue to expose yourself to the oils!!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #28
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
This might be a weird thought....

Have you been outside hiking or in the woods lately?

If yes....do you think you've come in contact with Poison Ivy?

I went through 2 weeks of small itchy dots all over my body back in the spring. I thought I was allergic to laundry detergent and tried different types, etc.

For me - it was poison ivy. Although it had been weeks that I'd been in the woods, I kept re-infecting myself with the poison ivy oils because the oils were everywhere. I ended up using alcohol and wiping everything down in my truck (steering wheels, seats, shifter, seatbelts, etc). If it gets on something and you don't wipe it off....you'll continue to expose yourself to the oils!!
yes, we actually burned a tree with poison ivy, although i have never gotten it in the past and we burned it about 2 or 3 weeks ago, one of my other friends got it and hes all healed up now i got it a day or two after he gave me a ride though and its only on my arms and 1 ear
Old 12-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #29
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
yes, we actually burned a tree with poison ivy, although i have never gotten it in the past and we burned it about 2 or 3 weeks ago, one of my other friends got it and hes all healed up now i got it a day or two after he gave me a ride though and its only on my arms and 1 ear
Your yard is now covered in poison ivy's urishiol. Everywhere the smoke went, it is there. It can persist for up to 6 months.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #30
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Your yard is now covered in poison ivy's urishiol. Everywhere the smoke went, it is there. It can persist for up to 6 months.
not my yard haha thank god
Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #31
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, sounds like you keep re-infecting yourself.

I never got poison ivy either - until last spring. It sucks....

Everyone is different - but for me, after exposure....it takes 2 days for it to show up/start itching. It takes 2 weeks to completely go away.

First - you need to start thinking about where/how you're reinfecting yourself and clean that shit up (if you can) or avoid it (alcohol). Get some medicated anti itch medications at the drug store.... and resist the urge to scratch it!!

I do a lot of hiking and am constantly aware of it. There's a spray that I use that works awesome.... As soon as you feel it getting itchy, spray this stuff on it and it helps prevent it from getting a rash. It's expensive stuff but I love it!! Tecnu Rash Relief (spray)

Good Luck!!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #32
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel1274 View Post
It is actually pretty common, find a detergent that you are not allergic too and stick with it.
probablly caused by laundry detergent, but can also be caused by body soap.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #33
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
yep. I can't use bounce fabric softener. Makes me sneeze like a mofo.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #34
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you serious? i always thought more was better, ill try cutting back before i buy a new one
Absolutely serious. I had been using the same detergent forever (arm and hammer) and the same amount. Cut it in half and a year later still no more skin problems. I fill the little measuring cup that comes in the detergent to the first line, no further. I also have an old school washer that uses a full tub of water to wash. You need even less detergent with a front loader that uses a third of the water of an old school washer.

Start the washer and come back during the rinse cycle and see how much soap is still in there. If it's foamy, you're using too much and you are wearing the excess soap on your clothes and skin.

Another thing to note: most detergents now are "2X" or "3X" concentrated. I am an appliance tech and I get complaints all the time about machines "not rinsing correctly" or "taking a long time to complete cycle". Both issues have their roots in using too much soap most of the time.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #35
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Zyrtec in the day, singular at night =unstoppable
Old 12-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #36
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no, i thin im going to go to the doc though, i get more bumps on my arms past my elbow every night and it itches so bad it keeps me up
Bed bugs? Been spreading nationwide.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #37
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Sprading nationwide!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #38
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
doc said poison ivy fawk
Old 12-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #39
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
I am also allergic to laundry detergent. I find that I can use Tide and Cheer. Just cannot use bargain brand detergents (fillers/perfumes?). I also have to be careful about body soap and shampoo. I always buy the ones with as little scent as possible. I can only use salon quality shampoos with very little scent. I a have found that Paul Brown, A-G and Nioxin seem to work the best.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #40
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
doc said poison ivy fawk
Did he give you a prescription? I have Triamcinolone Acetonide cream.

Go to the drug store and buy a couple tubes of different anti-itch creams.

The prescription stuff helps it to heal faster, but only temporarily prevents the itching. I'm constantly putting stuff on it to prevent the itching. It's a bitch when it itches!! It could go for a couple weeks before it goes away.

Good Luck!!!