Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

ever been allergic to laundry detergent?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
ever been allergic to laundry detergent?

hey has anyone ever been allergic to a laundry detergent? ive started getting random itchy mosquito bite like bumps on my arm that itch like hell and i think that may be the culprit. thats the only thing ive changed in the last 2 weeks, i dont have fleas or bed bugs so im outta ideas

and before anyone that says see a doctor, i refuse :P its cold and flu season
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
oh hell yes. and i cant use any fabric softener either. i get sneezy and ichy from perfumed detergents.

the worst thing when i was living in the last apartment complex, was having to share the laundry machines. following someone that used some stinky-assed perfumed detergent was horrible.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
It is actually pretty common, find a detergent that you are not allergic too and stick with it.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
only thing that beats me it its only on my arms and only where long sleves would cover, nowhere else...
Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Dj0rk is on a distinguished road

Name: Luke
Dj0rk's Tacoma Gallery
Both fabric softener AND detergent. Sucks big time as my kids and I react to different ones. So my stuff is washed/dried in one and theirs in another.

The worst though was massage oil. My Ex thought it would be hawt, and it was, but the next week was a bitch. Still hate when the wife tries to use oil for a massage because I don't know what was used to cause the reaction. Plus, that ends the massage real quick.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
TheDan is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Fire Engine Operator (Engineer) for the BLM, Volunteer Firefighter/EMT/Fire Instructor
Name: Dan
TheDan's Tacoma Gallery
I suggest trying something without dyes or perfumes. I like "All Free and Clear," but plenty of other brands have something similar.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
I had a very bad allergic reaction where i ended up in painful itch hives all over my body. it centralized around my joints which is where the clothes rub the most. I had that shit for a whole month last year. so miserable.

We never found out what set it off, either it was a new detergent, or a macadamia nut cookie. havent touched either since.
now I know what to send you for Christmas..
Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
brett1586 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brett
brett1586's Tacoma Gallery
I can only use Tide laundry detergent and Downy Fabric Softener, everything else makes me break out in hives like crazy and itch. No good.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
Beerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Beerrun's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same problem around my ankles years ago. Seemed like sweaty socks would set it off. Stopped using Amway, no more itchy ankles.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you might need a epi pen sometime...
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Get some of that laundry detergent for babies called Dreft and see if that works out for you.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 Dispatch/R-LEO
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I found out I am semi allergic to certain Tide detergents... We switched to the ALL "Free" stuff. No scent.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Arm & Hammer sells both liquid and powdered detergents that are perfume and dye free. They're at most major supermarkets. It's all we use.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
only thing that beats me it its only on my arms and only where long sleves would cover, nowhere else...
I had the exact same thing about a year ago. Went to the doctor wondering if I had scabies or some crap like that. Nasty looking, but only on my forearms. I was scratching till I bled. I was told it was something I was coming into contact with, but laundry detergent was not suggested as a cause.

It turned out I was using too much detergent. I finally filled the washer up and came back during the rinse cycle and lifted the lid. It was foaming with soap suds in there. I cut the soap in half and my skin problems went away. Never even changed brands.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #16
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
My ex GF was allergic. I was using Dreft until the day we broke up
Old 12-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #17
jofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shedjofixer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: joe
jofixer's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely yes. We use era HE and downy unscented.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #18
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
I used to get horrible itchy legs and sometimes arms, so this is what I have to use now, no dyes or perfumes. I also take one Zyrtec per day, which helps both my skin reaction and also my regular allergies.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
I had the exact same thing about a year ago. Went to the doctor wondering if I had scabies or some crap like that. Nasty looking, but only on my forearms. I was scratching till I bled. I was told it was something I was coming into contact with, but laundry detergent was not suggested as a cause.

It turned out I was using too much detergent. I finally filled the washer up and came back during the rinse cycle and lifted the lid. It was foaming with soap suds in there. I cut the soap in half and my skin problems went away. Never even changed brands.
you serious? i always thought more was better, ill try cutting back before i buy a new one
Old 12-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
okboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: Darrell
okboatie1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDan View Post
I suggest trying something without dyes or perfumes. I like "All Free and Clear," but plenty of other brands have something similar.
We use the same stuff. No more itchy scratchy-ness.

Products Discussed in this Thread