Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

House With Mold-need lawyer help

Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
cstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carl
cstephan's Tacoma Gallery
House With Mold-need lawyer help

Hey TW. I need some help finding a (GOOD) lawyer in the Cumberland, MD or Morgantown, WV that deals with home rentals and getting out of a lease, because I am having serve reactions to mold that is growing in the house I rent. I have done at home mold test's (came back positive) and have a doctors note explaining what I have been going though. Later this week I am going to have a professional come in and do a mold test (scheduled already). What I really want advise on is getting my deposit back and maybe going after them for my medical bills.

Thank you for your help TW
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely get the professional test. Those home tests wont be as good of proof. Cant help with anything else though. Do you know where the mold is growing?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ion-30230.html
Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
mr2r6 will become famous soon enoughmr2r6 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kiel
mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest you read up about mold and find the real truth before you spend any more money and try and sue anyone. Mold is everywhere my friend. You I and the pope and anyone else you can think of is breathing in mold right now. Mold is a huge media hype. You say you “tested” for it and it was “positive”? Well sure it is because it’s everywhere. I think you are terrible misinformed here and need to educate yourself. I would hold off on the mold tester you have hired until you better understand molds, fungi’s and such. Check out this website and read all the information and post on the right hand side about mold myths and such.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
cstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2r6 View Post
I would suggest you read up about mold and find the real truth before you spend any more money and try and sue anyone. Mold is everywhere my friend. You I and the pope and anyone else you can think of is breathing in mold right now. Mold is a huge media hype. You say you “tested” for it and it was “positive”? Well sure it is because it’s everywhere. I think you are terrible misinformed here and need to educate yourself. I would hold off on the mold tester you have hired until you better understand molds, fungi’s and such. Check out this website and read all the information and post on the right hand side about mold myths and such.

waiting for link, i have talked to alot of people that know its no joke. I would love to read this.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
this is going to be fun...
Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #7

PLEASE, any info is helpful.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstephan View Post
waiting for link, i have talked to alot of people that know its no joke. I would love to read this.
He's both right and wrong. Mold and fungi are everywhere, some are harmful, some are not. Also, some people feel are affected more harshly by different molds. There is such a thing as a 'sick house' where the indoor air quality is poor and promotes mold growth (the harmful kind). I do agree with his suggestion on doing as much homework as you can before spending a lot of money hiring a professional. Have you spoken to the landlord, is he refusing to refund your deposit? If I were you, I'd see if he'd be willing to refund the deposit and get on to a new place, or just see if you can break the lease and get the hell out. Money isn't everything, especially when it comes to your health. Trying to force legal action so he covers medical bills might end up costing you more time and money than it's worth. If it's a large property manager, they might have a lot more resources to fight your claim also. Just my $0.02, good luck!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
are you his landlord?????
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
He's both right and wrong. Mold and fungi are everywhere, some are harmful, some are not. Also, some people feel are affected more harshly by different molds. There is such a thing as a 'sick house' where the indoor air quality is poor and promotes mold growth (the harmful kind). I do agree with his suggestion on doing as much homework as you can before spending a lot of money hiring a professional. Have you spoken to the landlord, is he refusing to refund your deposit? If I were you, I'd see if he'd be willing to refund the deposit and get on to a new place, or just see if you can break the lease and get the hell out. Money isn't everything, especially when it comes to your health. Trying to force legal action so he covers medical bills might end up costing you more time and money than it's worth. If it's a large property manager, they might have a lot more resources to fight your claim also. Just my $0.02, good luck!
They wont let me out of the lease. and I still have 4-5 months left. I just want to get out. I know money is not everything but 800$ to me is quite a bit. If they just let me out, i would leave and move on.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
are you his landlord?????
I am the renter.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They wont let me out of the lease. and I still have 4-5 months left. I just want to get out. I know money is not everything but 800$ to me is quite a bit. If they just let me out, i would leave and move on.
I hear you, I've just gone toe to toe with large landlords before and I found out very quickly that they are much better equipped to fight legal battles than I was. I think you're going the right route, I just hope legal action doesn't keep you in there until the lease is up anyways.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I hear you, I've just gone toe to toe with large landlords before and I found out very quickly that they are much better equipped to fight legal battles than I was. I think you're going the right route, I just hope legal action doesn't keep you in there until the lease is up anyways.
What was yours about? and what was the outcome?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #14

http://epa.gov/mold/append_b.html#Health_Effects

From the EPA.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
how long have you lived in this place? reason being, some landlords throw it into the lease that the renter is responsible for keeping mold at bay (ie, if the bathroom is equipped with a vent fan or window, it is imperative that you use it). if this mold is growing in the bathroom, they can come back and say it is your fault and not theirs.

of course, if you can prove that it is because of substandard repairs to the exterior of the building, roof leaks, etc. then you shouldnt be at fault.

(this is all how I see the situation, not what may actually happen)
Old 01-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
how long have you lived in this place? reason being, some landlords throw it into the lease that the renter is responsible for keeping mold at bay (ie, if the bathroom is equipped with a vent fan or window, it is imperative that you use it). if this mold is growing in the bathroom, they can come back and say it is your fault and not theirs.

of course, if you can prove that it is because of substandard repairs to the exterior of the building, roof leaks, etc. then you shouldnt be at fault.

(this is all how I see the situation, not what may actually happen)
it started back in may, and it would effect me what i would close the windows and use the AC, but now that its winter, and the house is all closed up, its worse. The carpet on the bottom floor feels kinda damp, and it has felt like that sense i got there. Its a pored slab (25+ years old) with a pad, and carpet ontop.

EDIT: i also found out the a pipe broke 6-7 years ago, and flooded the bottom floor. The carpet is all the same though the whole house. It used to be a VAC rental, and just this year they moved it to a yearly rental. What i am thinking is that it was never cleaned up right, and now is giving me trouble.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What was yours about? and what was the outcome?
Mine was completely unrelated. The landlord was a complete bitch and crooked as can be. The problem was she was smart about it and destroyed the paper trail so it was my word against hers. In the end it was easier to just pay them to sign the paper saying I was free and clear than it would have been to fight it. It ended up costing me $500 but it was a valuable lesson learned. Throughout the whole process, once their legal team got involved, the landlord would not deal with me at all, everything had to go through their lawyers.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Carl have you tried this site?

http://www.oag.state.md.us/consumer/...rds.htm#assist

There are numbers listed to help handle disputes.
Free and maybe help point you in the right direction?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #19

mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
waiting for link to edumacate myself

Sorry about that.
http://www.forensic-applications.com/
Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #20

mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
If you are really worried about your health and you feel the mold needs to be cleaned then it’s pretty simple. All molds/fungi’s are cleaned up in the same way. If you can see it or smell it you got it. There is no use in wasting your money to have some “expert” do a fake test and give you a piece of paper with a bunch of words that you can’t even read. So do this:
1) Identify the moisture source or sources.
2) Repair the moisture sources.
3) Clean any mold or fungi that can be seen or smelt by completely replacing the affected area or treating it with a bleach bases cleaner.

Molds and fungi’s cannot grow without a moisture source. No one can tell you how much mold is too much or this type is bad or this type is ok. No one knows. For all you know it’s not the mold or fungi that you are allergic to. A mold “expert” or “certified mold expert” is no more than a guy that completed on online test and printed their certification. Unless you get a microbiologist or industrial hygienist you’re wasting your money.