Notices

OH my Shins!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
magnetic10 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter-EMT
Name: Don
magnetic10's Tacoma Gallery
OH my Shins!

So here is a little background. I havent really had to run per say since i was in basic training back in 05'. I got shin splints really bad then and have pretty much avoided running ever since unless on a tread mill. Fast forward 7 years and i have gotten accepted to my dream job of being a Firefighter for a local agency. I trained pretty well for the physical agility the year before and did great with the run even. However now we are running 3 days a week at a shuffle pace and it is killing my shins to the point it feels like they're gonna snap . So whats a guy to do, i dont wanna just give up because im seeing results i havent seen in a long time as far as weight is concerned. However i dont want to screw something up. Any suggestions as how to get these to go away. I just picked up some new Brooks shoes that are a stability shoe to help with pronating inward, ran 3 miles in them today and came home and iced them down. Please help
Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I have problems with shin splints also. Unfortunately I don't think it is going to go away if you do not let it rest. Shin splints are like miniature fractures, so you have to keep it still for weeks/months before it will be better. Once it is better good shoes will help to absorb the shock. I have been told that Asics have shoes especially for shin splints. Not sure of model or style number.
Good luck. I know it is important for you to to be able to run now.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
rubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: civil engineer
Name: nicholas
rubberduckytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure it's shin splints or are your shins just killing you my shins hurt like crazy after long runs and I just ice them and the pain goes away I think you just need to build up your leg muscles again and get used to it but don't over do it take it slow and did you. It have to run for or test?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I used to get them a lot then I changed my shoes, stretched a lot before and after a run, and put ice on my shins after i ran.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckytaco View Post
Are you sure it's shin splints or are your shins just killing you my shins hurt like crazy after long runs and I just ice them and the pain goes away I think you just need to build up your leg muscles again and get used to it but don't over do it take it slow and did you. It have to run for or test?
Ehh, im about 99.9% positive its shin splints because, since this is a reoccuring issue. I have tried the ice after runs and it seems to help but only temporary.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
ice immediately after, ibuprofen, and new shoes worked for me!
I take Aleve and ice and just got new shoes so im hoping to follow suit so we'll see.
Thanks for pointing out that thread for some reason it didnt come up when i searched
Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
TacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacPro45 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
TacPro45's Tacoma Gallery
New shoes should make a huge difference. Get the right ones for the shape of your feet, not just a brand you would normally buy!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
yea i dont really know if i have the same problem or now and yea shoes didnt help mine at all either. when i run, a few miles in my shin muscles get really tight and these little (what i assume to be lactic acid) fluid bumps form on my shins. yea its not to comfortable. but all i ever found to help was when it starts to hurt/tense up is to find a tree/wall/post and place my toes up on it and lean foward if that makes sense (stretching the calf move) and it seems to loosen up the shin muscle too. im not sure how it helps but sometimes it does. oh well good luck!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
The best thing you can do is go to a running store and get properly fitted for shoes designed for your foot shape and running style
Old 01-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on whats causing them.. since it's so recurring with you, I wonder if you're flat footed. If so, go to a good running shop and shell out the bucks to get a good pair of shoes. Usually someone there will watch you walk/jog, and try to fit you with the right shoe for your style.

Also, remember to get warm up, stretch, and use proper running/exercise technique at all times! Plus, it doesn't hurt to buy some neoprene sleeves.. I know a few serious runners/athletes that swear by them. You should also see your doctor to make sure they are shin splints/ figure out what specifically is causing them.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com...in-splints.php

And what everyone has said about going to a running store is spot on. A real running store too - not a store in the mall - but the local running store that has morning run meet-ups right in their parking lot. Those guys will find the best shoe for you. It's not always perfect and may take a few tries, but they can do the analysis that you need to get it right. The mall guys just know where the best profit margins are.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Little update ran 2x this week so far in brooks shoes which felt good in store and while test jogging in them, however my shins didn't feel at all better so I took them back and got a different pair to try. Nice thing is the store I went to said I could try as many as I needed till I was happy lol. Also picked up compression sleeves and omg they feel amazing. Their suppose to help so we will see. Thanks for all the advice. Now if I could get rid of this dang cold. :-(
Old 01-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic10 View Post
Little update ran 2x this week so far in brooks shoes which felt good in store and while test jogging in them, however my shins didn't feel at all better so I took them back and got a different pair to try. Nice thing is the store I went to said I could try as many as I needed till I was happy lol. Also picked up compression sleeves and omg they feel amazing. Their suppose to help so we will see. Thanks for all the advice. Now if I could get rid of this dang cold. :-(
Yeah those compression sleeves can work wonders!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
sd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedsd_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sd_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried any of the more barefoot running shoes? You don't have to go all the way to the Vibram toe shoes, but Merrell makes quite a few models that are more conventional looking. I've become a believer that all the heavily padded and fancy orthotic shoes enforce a running style that is not good for your body (I'm sure there are people who believe exactly the opposite and thats fine, but this worked for me). For me running in the barefoot shoe variety made me change my running style and run lighter, instead of pounding the pavement. It feels like the muscle groups I built up by running in this fashion have helped limit my injuries greatly.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_tacoma View Post
Have you tried any of the more barefoot running shoes? You don't have to go all the way to the Vibram toe shoes, but Merrell makes quite a few models that are more conventional looking. I've become a believer that all the heavily padded and fancy orthotic shoes enforce a running style that is not good for your body (I'm sure there are people who believe exactly the opposite and thats fine, but this worked for me). For me running in the barefoot shoe variety made me change my running style and run lighter, instead of pounding the pavement. It feels like the muscle groups I built up by running in this fashion have helped limit my injuries greatly.
I think one of the biggest pluses to those style of shoe is that it's supposed to make you run on the balls of your feet, which limits the hard, damaging impact on your heels

I have zero basis for this other than my own running experiences...but that's my line of thought
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Well from what i read, shin splints ar the result of overuse/over training. They are actual small fractures that occur in the shin, so the best way to make them better is to rest and ice (as suggested).

Also, shoes do make a large difference, sometimes, depending on weight you need a harder/softer sole. Also if you have "flat feet" or "high arched" feet, you may think about getting orthotic insoles (mine make me feel like im walking on clouds).

Try switching to a better shoe for running (shoes are like tires, except for a shoe its not the tread its the sole-the part that cushions the impact)

good luck with your program
Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
My shins hurt like hell if I run on really solid surfaces like blacktop or concrete. I don't run on anything but grass/dirt/space-age-rubber-tar-chip-tracks if I can help it.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
I buy 4-6 pairs of running shoes a year because I average 25-35 miles a week. I've never had shin splits.

Learn the (expensive) way to avoid them on my "running bible". A book I bought to teach me how to run...