Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Trying To Get Back Into Shape

Old 02-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Trying To Get Back Into Shape

I'm trying to get back into shape and lose some excess weight. I'm 6' 1" and 220 lbs now and want to drop down to at least 200. I've started running 20-30 minutes 4-5 days a week and also 150 sit ups, 75 push ups, some jump rope and some mild lifting. Is this a good plan for now? I plan on bumping the time and reps, but wanted to start slow.

I'm also trying to start eating healthier. I rarely drink soda (1 every 2 weeks or so), I've cut candy and working on not eating other sweets (ice cream, cakes, cookies, ect.) My main problem is I'll just make something quick and easy, but not nutritionally healthy. Does anyone have any recommendations for a healthy cookbook or website to check out. My fiance is really into pastas and breads and I've read to steer clear of those, so I'm trying to look for other options.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
try take a look into the gym/workout thread. lots of experienced guys in there

low weight high rep calorie burning workouts are your friend. try to change up workouts often too, so your body doesnt have time to get used to a "routine"
Old 02-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Also you need to remember that muscle weights more than fat, yet takes less space.

I'm 39 with a 34 inch waist and I weight 210 lbs, on a 5-10 frame. I have no belly and no "love handles" to speak of. I also have less than 13% body fat. I do not look "skinny" but I can assure I'm fit. I'm trying to get down to 205 lbs, so that I can run a 1/2 marathon in 8 mins splits.

What I'm trying to say is don't get discourage if by exersicing, you stay on the same weight forever. Remember muscle > flab ANYTIME!

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the responses. I know all about muscle weighing more than fat. I'm not dead set on losing weight, but since I haven't worked out in years I'm sure I will. I'm just looking to get in better overshape and lose some of the excess flab. I've been looking at the gym/workout thread and there is a lot of good info. My diet is going to be my biggest challenge.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I know all about muscle weighing more than fat. I'm not dead set on losing weight, but since I haven't worked out in years I'm sure I will. I'm just looking to get in better overshape and lose some of the excess flab. I've been looking at the gym/workout thread and there is a lot of good info. My diet is going to be my biggest challenge.

Well, I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but your food intake will be an INTEGRAL part of your weight management goals. Don't forget the ultimate goal, and that will make that easier. Also having and forecasting a cheat day a week makes wonders!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
4runner Troll

Haha, yeah I could do pretty good myself, but I have to get my fiance on board as well. I'm going to have to do some research for some good recipes. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Membor
Cowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura about

Name: Luke
Cowboyz's Tacoma Gallery
yea working out is not near as important as what you put in your mouth. Working out might help you get into shape but if you want to loose weight you will have to commit to the diet. Good luck