1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying To Get Back Into Shape

Discussion in 'Health' started by SCRunner12, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 [OP] Tundra Troll

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    I'm trying to get back into shape and lose some excess weight. I'm 6' 1" and 220 lbs now and want to drop down to at least 200. I've started running 20-30 minutes 4-5 days a week and also 150 sit ups, 75 push ups, some jump rope and some mild lifting. Is this a good plan for now? I plan on bumping the time and reps, but wanted to start slow.

I'm also trying to start eating healthier. I rarely drink soda (1 every 2 weeks or so), I've cut candy and working on not eating other sweets (ice cream, cakes, cookies, ect.) My main problem is I'll just make something quick and easy, but not nutritionally healthy. Does anyone have any recommendations for a healthy cookbook or website to check out. My fiance is really into pastas and breads and I've read to steer clear of those, so I'm trying to look for other options.

2. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    try take a look into the gym/workout thread. lots of experienced guys in there

low weight high rep calorie burning workouts are your friend. try to change up workouts often too, so your body doesnt have time to get used to a "routine"

3. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Also you need to remember that muscle weights more than fat, yet takes less space.

I'm 39 with a 34 inch waist and I weight 210 lbs, on a 5-10 frame. I have no belly and no "love handles" to speak of. I also have less than 13% body fat. I do not look "skinny" but I can assure I'm fit. I'm trying to get down to 205 lbs, so that I can run a 1/2 marathon in 8 mins splits.

What I'm trying to say is don't get discourage if by exersicing, you stay on the same weight forever. Remember muscle > flab ANYTIME!

Good luck!

4. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    SCRunner12

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    Thanks for the responses. I know all about muscle weighing more than fat. I'm not dead set on losing weight, but since I haven't worked out in years I'm sure I will. I'm just looking to get in better overshape and lose some of the excess flab. I've been looking at the gym/workout thread and there is a lot of good info. My diet is going to be my biggest challenge.

5. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,

Well, I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but your food intake will be an INTEGRAL part of your weight management goals. Don't forget the ultimate goal, and that will make that easier. Also having and forecasting a cheat day a week makes wonders!

6. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    SCRunner12

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    Haha, yeah I could do pretty good myself, but I have to get my fiance on board as well. I'm going to have to do some research for some good recipes. Thanks for the help.

7. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    6in Pro Comp stage 2 lift, 2.75in ProComp Coilovers, Rear MX6 adjustable shocks, 35in Nittro Trail Grapplers, 17 in XD Spys, URD intake, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster 40 Series, AMP Power steps, debadged, blacked out tail lights, Blacked out headlights w/ Mini H1 Retros and halos, JVC KW-AVX840 7" Double-Din, Viper 5704 2way alarm/remote start, LEDs in Dome, Maps, and license plate lights, short black antenna, 5% Tint, removed sway bar
    yea working out is not near as important as what you put in your mouth. Working out might help you get into shape but if you want to loose weight you will have to commit to the diet. Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top