Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Quit Smoking

Old 03-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #21
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Thanks again everybody for the support! It really helps to have this around.

This is how much money I am now saving that I used to spend every day (not just cigs):
1 pack of smoked

Good luck man!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
I5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud of
Marines: Sgt, MCBH Mals-24
Name: Ratha
I5runner's Tacoma Gallery
I find that going to the gym helps me out a lot. I'm only on day 6 but I've tried quitting in the past and I read somewhere that those who had failed attempts to quit in the past are more likely to be successful than those trying to quit for the first time. Just keep thinking about all the benifits from quitting is what I keep my mind on when I get cravings. Good job man, you are already way ahead of me so don't fuck it up!!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Progres report...

It has been 2 months now, no smoking. Super stoked.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
very nice! keep it up!!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Progres report...

It has been 3 months now, no smoking. Super stoked.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
jkulysses is on a distinguished road
Army: 1-41 Infantry Battalion Veteran (Straight and Stalwart)
Name: Jake
jkulysses's Tacoma Gallery
I started smoking while I was in the Army and pretty quickly was up to a pack a day. I tried quitting many times but I would get the worse withdrawls ever which included major heartburn and vomiting, migraines etc etc the list goes on and it wasn't a fun time. About 9 months ago I went to my Dr. and got a prescription for Chantix. It worked perfect for me as it allowed me to keep smoking at first and then after about 4 or 5 days I just found myself not wanting one or even really thinking about wanting one. It would be noon and I would randomly think, I haven't had a smoke yet today, but when I would try to smoke one it just tasted like garbage and didn't do anything for me other than make my mouth taste like an ash tray. After a few days of that i just quit completely. The Chantix did give me crazy dreams but it was well worth it for me.

They key as others have mentioned is you have to want to do it for yourself and you have to change your lifestyle. This will be different for everybody but worked for me was instead of sitting around smoking cigs on my lunch break I go for a walk things like that. I have zero urges to smoke anymore and in fact when I smell cig smoke now it just makes me sick and feel proud that I finally quit and they aren't controlling my life anymore. I would even think about quitting before & would almost have an anxiety attack lol. Also has cured many of my medical issues I was having such as Chronic Bronchitis, which is the beginning stages of emphysema, and I was also having migraines almost daily, would hack so much crap up in the mornings that I would throw up sometimes, the list goes on. Other than getting a divorce quitting cigs is one of the best decisions of my life so far!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #27
Soon to be west coast
11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC1(SW/SS) Non Lethal Weapons Instructor Former STS SUBMARINES
Name: Jay
11TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey all,

Finally quit smoking after 1 pack/day for 10 years. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since I quit cold turkey. Really stoked to be saying this, and wasn't sure I would ever be able to.

It feels really good. I can already breathe better, and my taste buds are starting to get their senses back.

I did get some nicorrete gum just in case I needed it, but so far have not touched it.

For anybody who is considering quitting smoking, it really is true that once you are ready and willing to quit, it isn't really that bad. Sure, I get urges all the time, and probably will till the day I take my dirt nap. The urges have become less frequent and less gnarly.

I've come this far, no way in hell am I picking up another cig. Will be tough though next time I'm in Vegas.

Thanks for reading.

Awesome! Keep it up! I quit in August after 10 years.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #28
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
So this isn't smoking but... I use to drink 6-10 mountain dews a day or more + energy drinks... over 3 years ago I told myself I need to stop. For 6 months I had 10 dews a month... last month I had 2.. after that. None, Caffeine free (and soda/pop) for 2 years. (Nothing special just wanted to share
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Hang in there guys.. Your body will love u..Smokes here are 715 a pack for cowboy killers.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #30
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Another update: This Thursday will be 4 months cig-free. Couldn't be happier.

Congrats to all others who have quit, whether it be cigs or energy drinks, or whatever your vice is. I know it is a lifelong battle, but gets easier with time.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #31

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkulysses View Post
I started smoking while I was in the Army and pretty quickly was up to a pack a day. I tried quitting many times but I would get the worse withdrawls ever which included major heartburn and vomiting, migraines etc etc the list goes on and it wasn't a fun time. About 9 months ago I went to my Dr. and got a prescription for Chantix. It worked perfect for me as it allowed me to keep smoking at first and then after about 4 or 5 days I just found myself not wanting one or even really thinking about wanting one. It would be noon and I would randomly think, I haven't had a smoke yet today, but when I would try to smoke one it just tasted like garbage and didn't do anything for me other than make my mouth taste like an ash tray. After a few days of that i just quit completely. The Chantix did give me crazy dreams but it was well worth it for me.

They key as others have mentioned is you have to want to do it for yourself and you have to change your lifestyle. This will be different for everybody but worked for me was instead of sitting around smoking cigs on my lunch break I go for a walk things like that. I have zero urges to smoke anymore and in fact when I smell cig smoke now it just makes me sick and feel proud that I finally quit and they aren't controlling my life anymore. I would even think about quitting before & would almost have an anxiety attack lol. Also has cured many of my medical issues I was having such as Chronic Bronchitis, which is the beginning stages of emphysema, and I was also having migraines almost daily, would hack so much crap up in the mornings that I would throw up sometimes, the list goes on. Other than getting a divorce quitting cigs is one of the best decisions of my life so far!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #32
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks again everybody for the support! It really helps to have this around.

This is how much money I am now saving that I used to spend every day (not just cigs):
1 pack of smokes $4 - $7
Going out to lunch (now make it) $10
Starbucks (sometimes 2 a day) $4 - $8
Paying top dollar for a sixer every other day
instead of looking for a deal $5
Total saved per day $23 - $30

Damn, I am now saving $30/day in being smarter with my dough. Shit, no wonder I was so broke before.
Congrats OP, keep it up.
$30/day makes for a nice truck payment by the end of the month. It just shows you what can be done.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #33
Chicago Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Chicago Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Gratz to all the fellow ex-smokers! 1.6 yrs nicotine free after 17 years of 1.5 packs a day. Lungs feel great! Waistline... So, how about those Bears...

Keep up the good work! Best thing I ever did, undoubtedly.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #34
Chicago Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Chicago Taco's Tacoma Gallery
P.S. $10.60 a pack in the Chi... That'll make just about anyone quit.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #35

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Another progress report...

Been 8 months now, not a single puff on a cig. Feel great, and I know my wife (who never smoked) appreciates that I have more time to spend with her.

Keep it up, everybody, who has quit. And if you are one who wants to quit, DO EET! DO EET NOW, and never look back.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #37
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Another progress report...

Been 8 months now, not a single puff on a cig. Feel great, and I know my wife (who never smoked) appreciates that I have more time to spend with her.

Keep it up, everybody, who has quit. And if you are one who wants to quit, DO EET! DO EET NOW, and never look back.
Hey man.....just came across your post. I was a pretty heavy smoker for roughly 15 yrs and its been 10+ weeks for me smoke free. Feels great!

Congratulations!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #38
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just a word of advice.

I quit chewing when I was 32 after chewing for 15 years. Went on a golf trip with some buddies when I was 36 and was offered some. Thought "I quit so one is not going to hurt me right?" WRONG. Started up again. A year later I was pissed off that I started I decided to quit again and have never looked back. Was offered some again a few years back and said NO.

Good for you and keep up the good work. It is hard but like a lot of others say it gets easier.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #39
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff2007Tacoma View Post
Just a word of advice.

I quit chewing when I was 32 after chewing for 15 years. Went on a golf trip with some buddies when I was 36 and was offered some. Thought "I quit so one is not going to hurt me right?" WRONG. Started up again. A year later I was pissed off that I started I decided to quit again and have never looked back. Was offered some again a few years back and said NO.

Good for you and keep up the good work. It is hard but like a lot of others say it gets easier.
thanks for the encouragement, how long has it been since you officially quit?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #40
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash42 View Post
thanks for the encouragement, how long has it been since you officially quit?
I just turned 42 this past summer so it has been about 5 years. I don't know how much different it is from chewing and smoking but in my experience the first three days were killer. The first three weeks was tough. The first three months were not too bad and then after that it went smooth lol.

Every once in awile I get an urge when doing something I always had a chew in, like watching sports but then I think of all the bad things about it (health, cost etc.) and how hard it was to quit and the urge disappears pretty quick.

I know there will days that you just want to say f&*% it but hang in there it will get easier.