Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Does it work?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #21
CollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the rough
Name: Taylor
CollegeTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I think its about an hour before you workout or excercise is when you should have your meal. I just remember that your body has been fasting over night and within 30 minutes of getting up you are supposed to have some form of nourishment. It becomes inconvienient when you workout in the morning at like five and then have to be at work at 730. I'm in the same boat you are. I used to eat a banana and then go lift and then eat breakfast afterwords. Since I began trying to gain muscle I didn't like the idea of nothing before lift and then a protein shake and big breakfast combined after. As long as you get something before your hike you should be fine. Just don't go as heavy as you would if you eat after because that won't be burned off immediately during the hike.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #22
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Not a coffee fan. Don't really drink soda. Just water and powerade/gatorade. I don't drink beer much anymore either.

Gotta become buff as shit you know?

Intake more caffeine. Boosts your metabolism.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #23
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeTacoma View Post
I think its about an hour before you workout or excercise is when you should have your meal. I just remember that your body has been fasting over night and within 30 minutes of getting up you are supposed to have some form of nourishment. It becomes inconvienient when you workout in the morning at like five and then have to be at work at 730. I'm in the same boat you are. I used to eat a banana and then go lift and then eat breakfast afterwords. Since I began trying to gain muscle I didn't like the idea of nothing before lift and then a protein shake and big breakfast combined after. As long as you get something before your hike you should be fine. Just don't go as heavy as you would if you eat after because that won't be burned off immediately during the hike.
Typically I like to do do like smoothies/protein and stuffs. I'm not much of a breakfast person in general, but I know it's essential.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Intake more caffeine. Boosts your metabolism.
My body reacts no bueno to caffeine. Have a little bit whenever during the day, and I'll be up ALL night.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
My body reacts no bueno to caffeine. Have a little bit whenever during the day, and I'll be up ALL night.
Build a tolerance damn it! No caffeine past 1500 though. Should be good for bed by 2000 or 2100 easy.

Quote:
Typically I like to do do like smoothies/protein and stuffs. I'm not much of a breakfast person in general, but I know it's essential.
Eat Breakie. Day doesn't start till you eat breakfast. And your breakfast determines the rest of your day. It essentially tells your body what to expect. Big breakfast and your body goes "Sweet fucking hell, we're going to be rocking today!" And it does.

Second: It's oft said but very underestimated. Power of positive thinking. They've done studies that show if you believe you're burning more calories you in fact will.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #27
CollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the rough
smoothies and protein are good choices. Its a way you can get the same nutrients in an easier to take in form. Especially if you don't like to eat that much at certain times
Old 05-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #28
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Build a tolerance damn it! No caffeine past 1500 though. Should be good for bed by 2000 or 2100 easy.

Eat Breakie. Day doesn't start till you eat breakfast. And your breakfast determines the rest of your day. It essentially tells your body what to expect. Big breakfast and your body goes "Sweet fucking hell, we're going to be rocking today!" And it does.

Second: It's oft said but very underestimated. Power of positive thinking. They've done studies that show if you believe you're burning more calories you in fact will.
I think I'll continue tomorrow with chanting to burn moar calories....

"Buff as shit! Buff as shit! Buff as shit! Buff as shit!"

lol

Still. I've never been much of a coffee hound. But yeah, I'm gonna work on my breakfast consumption for sure
Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
smoothies and protein are good choices. Its a way you can get the same nutrients in an easier to take in form. Especially if you don't like to eat that much at certain times
Yeah, honestly, I fucking love smoothies. Lol

So it's usually a good choice for me. I'd rather drink a smoothie with all kinds of fruit in it, than eat fruit straight.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
Resident Jackass

MONSTER BRO!

They're actually pretty tasty. Plus they contain Taurine.

Nutritional significance

A study of mice hereditarily unable to transport taurine suggests that it is needed for proper maintenance and functioning of skeletal muscles.[10] In addition, it has been shown to be effective in removing fatty liver deposits in rats, preventing liver disease, and reducing cirrhosis in tested animals.[11][12] There is also evidence that taurine is beneficial for adult human blood pressure and possibly, the alleviation of other cardiovascular ailments (in humans suffering essential hypertension, taurine supplementation resulted in measurable decreases in blood pressure).[citation needed]
Taurine is regularly used as an ingredient in energy drinks, with many containing 1000 mg per serving,[13] and some as much as 2000 mg.[14] A 2003 study by the European Food Safety Authority found no adverse effects for up to 1,000 mg of taurine per kilogram of body weight per day.[15]
A review published in 2008 found no documented reports of negative or positive health effects associated with the amount of taurine used in energy drinks, concluding that "The amounts of guarana, taurine, and ginseng found in popular energy drinks are far below the amounts expected to deliver either therapeutic benefits or adverse events".[16]

I just drink them cause I like the taste.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #31
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I used to. I stay away from that crap now...too sugary.

I actually just picked up Mio...gonna give that a go and see the effects
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Nom nom nom nom
Old 05-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #34
stay away from coffee and monster. The studies I saw said the only way caffein was proven effective was taken without the drinks it was in in pill form. But since your body doesnt like it, stay away haha
Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #35
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
stay away from coffee and monster. The studies I saw said the only way caffein was proven effective was taken without the drinks it was in in pill form. But since your body doesnt like it, stay away haha
Lol yeah I stay away from that stuffs.

Did another hike this morning. Cut 15 mins off my last one. Same distance and all, just different pace lol
Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #36
haha nice. Gettin after it
Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #37
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
My wife does this. She snacks all day long and it helped her loose weight faster then eating 3 big meals a day. According to her. I prefer to eat one giant meal for the entire day.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #38
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha nice. Gettin after it
Hells yes. Hardest bit is staying with it. Make it into habit, and you're stuck with it

There was a nice breeze today even with it hitting 81F at 0600hrs this morning. Thankfully. Because at 0500hrs it was low 70s lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
My wife does this. She snacks all day long and it helped her loose weight faster then eating 3 big meals a day. According to her. I prefer to eat one giant meal for the entire day.
Yeah, I'm definitely eating healthier and controlling my portions. I'm not really that fat, but I wanna reduce my body fat. Well you've seen. I saw you at the dog meet thing a few months ago.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #39
Its wierd how your body changes and gets used to healthy things haha they become habits quick
Old 05-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #40
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly. This morning's hike felt awesome. I also realised...there's a lot of banging hot chicks out on the trails that early lol. It's a switch back mountain, so I catch them on the way back since I get to the trail and get started around 0600hrs.