LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Does it work?

Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Does it work?

This past Sunday I started something to see if it'd work. Still dunno, but thought I'd be an ass and create a thread.

What I am trying, is as oppose to eating 2-3 meals a day, I am eating small meals every 2-3 hours to try and speed up my metabolism. I know this is suppose to be paired with exercise and water (which it is). With being limited to access to a gym for the next 3 months to not having access essentially, I've taken to hiking 3 days a week (4mi, switchback mountain, used to do it often when I would train in the off-season for my hockey days). I have started this and my schedule is Mon Wed Fri. Weekends off (I work them). Obviously as well I'm watching what I eat. I tend to focus a lot on pastas and chiken (protein from both. used to do this back in my hockey days also). Also adding fruit and veggies and whatnot.

Anyways, just curious if this really actually works with speeding up your metabolism doing the small meals every 2-3 hours as opposed to 2-3 large ones and the difference it makes.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
The optimal way is to essentially graze... But only on good food. Eat when you're hungry on vegetables
Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
The optimal way is to essentially graze... But only on good food. Eat when you're hungry on vegetables
Yeah I've been controlling portions a lot in order to make it effective (well in my head it makes sense)
Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's your goal?
Speed up my metabolism, lose some weight, and get back in shape essentially.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Speed up my metabolism, lose some weight, and get back in shape essentially.
What is your exercise regimen look like right now, or before you decided to embark on this journey?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What is your exercise regimen look like right now, or before you decided to embark on this journey?
It was pretty screwed up for a while due to an insane schedule. Aside from a few gym trips here and there, I've only consistently done a ton of walking. Consistently upwards of 7-10 miles a day. But some days less. Eating shitty meals, skipping meals, etc. Also always lacked sleep. Just had an insane schedule that didn't accommodate for the ability to exercise and focus on my health. I have medical issues which can restrict what I can do. I'm focusing on hiking more or less because it works so many muscles, forces you to do the entire trail, and will build up some muscles again that halp prevent pain from my knee issues. And also will halp strength my lungs and back.

3 years prior I was in my prime. I was an athlete doing extreme workouts, eating properly, sleeping full nights, etc. Now, I don't play sports. The gym I have access to I won't be able to access for the next 3 months. I'm not fat. I have a small beer belly, but I still am built with the frame from when I did play. The weight looks hidden mostly from others, but I want it gone. Like any other athlete who stops playing after 10 solid years, I gained some weight from the inactivity.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
CollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the rough
Name: Taylor
CollegeTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yes It does work. I think from the research and classes I have taken (my major) that every three to 4 hours is pretty good. The combination of eating small frequent meals throughout the day and being active will accelerate your appetite. While you may be able to sum up weight loss as simply taking in less calories then you are burning, It is much more efficient and effective if you combine the types of foods, when you eat each type, and the excercise you do. For weight (fat loss) your hiking is good you are in the ideal heart rate to burn more fat. The main idea is to eat your carbs early in the morning. You essentially shouldn't have any or limited amounts of carbohydrates after say lunch time or no later then three. Carbs are your sugars that are used as energy, whatever that is not used will be easily stored as fat. after lunch protein and good fats should take over. Don't skip out on your unsaturated fats. They are essential in keeping your testosterone up. If your testosterone dips, muscle gain and fat loss will slow and storing fat will become more likely. This is a short summary and my way of saying, yes it does work haha.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeTacoma View Post
Yes It does work. I think from the research and classes I have taken (my major) that every three to 4 hours is pretty good. The combination of eating small frequent meals throughout the day and being active will accelerate your appetite. While you may be able to sum up weight loss as simply taking in less calories then you are burning, It is much more efficient and effective if you combine the types of foods, when you eat each type, and the excercise you do. For weight (fat loss) your hiking is good you are in the ideal heart rate to burn more fat. The main idea is to eat your carbs early in the morning. You essentially shouldn't have any or limited amounts of carbohydrates after say lunch time or no later then three. Carbs are your sugars that are used as energy, whatever that is not used will be easily stored as fat. after lunch protein and good fats should take over. Don't skip out on your unsaturated fats. They are essential in keeping your testosterone up. If your testosterone dips, muscle gain and fat loss will slow and storing fat will become more likely. This is a short summary and my way of saying, yes it does work haha.
So leme make sure I got this right. basically have something small before the hike (an apple, banana, etc.). After the hike, put no limit on what I eat, just make sure it's still decent foods. Then pick a time in the early/mid afternoon and that's when I become restrictive on the size of the meals and frequency, correct?

I wake up early to do the hikes. (Wake up at 0500hrs, and get things together and to the trails and start around 0600hrs typically). I understand the not eating as late, because it's closer to when you sleep, and when you sleep you're inactive.

I used to do all this shit, just having trouble remembering bits of it lol
Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
I Do Not G.A.S.
YikoHama is on a distinguished road
Navy:
YikoHama's Tacoma Gallery
My ex-roommate tried it and got fat.

I think it helps to watch what you eat. I've cut down on fat, sugar and sodium. Last December, I bought an elliptical trainer, and I'm on that thing on average every 1/2 hour doing 500 cycles. I'm averaging over 60 minutes/day, 7 days a week. So far, I have lost 20 pounds since I started keeping track at the beginning of the year.

Now I don't feel too bad when I pig out every once in a while because I know I'm burning off the calories on the elliptical trainer.

Btw, I work from home so it's easier for me to workout.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
drubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant future

Air Force: Avionics Craftsman, 33 AMXS, 33 Fighter Wing
Name: Brad
drubacca117's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So leme make sure I got this right. basically have something small before the hike (an apple, banana, etc.). After the hike, put no limit on what I eat, just make sure it's still decent foods. Then pick a time in the early/mid afternoon and that's when I become restrictive on the size of the meals and frequency, correct?

I wake up early to do the hikes. (Wake up at 0500hrs, and get things together and to the trails and start around 0600hrs typically). I understand the not eating as late, because it's closer to when you sleep, and when you sleep you're inactive.

Just to say something about the bolded portion... Obviously you should not eat super late / before you go to bed, but you actually burn more calories in your sleep than you do sitting on the couch watching TV... I think I just invented a new freaking diet plan! Eat anything and sleep a lot!

As for the rest of it, eating small meals in conjunction with moderate to heavy exercise does boost metabolism. The simplest way to explain it is that the exercise puts a demand on your body for food. It also burns calories / boosts metabolism through the day because the body is expending energy to repair itself. Also, you are training your body to constantly digest / convert your small meals during the whole day. When you only eat 2-3 larger meals, you will tend to over eat, and your body knows it isn't going to get more food right away, so it "stores" what you give it instead of constantly burning it.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drubacca117 View Post
Just to say something about the bolded portion... Obviously you should not eat super late / before you go to bed, but you actually burn more calories in your sleep than you do sitting on the couch watching TV... I think I just invented a new freaking diet plan! Eat anything and sleep a lot!

As for the rest of it, eating small meals in conjunction with moderate to heavy exercise does boost metabolism. The simplest way to explain it is that the exercise puts a demand on your body for food. It also burns calories / boosts metabolism through the day because the body is expending energy to repair itself. Also, you are training your body to constantly digest / convert your small meals during the whole day. When you only eat 2-3 larger meals, you will tend to over eat, and your body knows it isn't going to get more food right away, so it "stores" what you give it instead of constantly burning it.
Ok that makes sense then. I know you can do cardio every day and it may come down to me making this a daily thing as my body gets used to it. I figured a day of recovery in between each would be good in the beginning. I'm going early enough that thankfully it works well with schedule, unless work keeps me up late the night prior (only happens on weekends typically). Once August gets here, I'll have access to a gym again and can start with other crap like weights and whatnot, but I figured I'd try the next three months at dropping some weight.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
CollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the roughCollegeTacoma is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

Somewhat... You should actually eat your larger meals before you are active. Say you get up and have your largest meal which should still be healthy and not too much because you are trying to lose weight not gain mass. , then go for a hike. Then you would want the healthy simple carbs (fruits) and maybe a protein shake as recovery for your muscles since they become glycogen depleted after excercise. i assume youd be hiking for a few hours so this should fit into the every three hours thing.
For example:
Wake up and have breakfast maybe egg whites and ham and some sort of carb like toast.
Hike
Post hike meal: fruit and protein or just fruit.
THen three hours ish later a light lunch. maybe a sandwhich etc
three hours later have an afternoon snack which can be as simple as a handfull of trailmix or another protein shake.
Then you would have your dinner three hours later.
Don't pay too much attention to the foods I suggested they were just random foods.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drubacca117 View Post

Yes, the main thing is that you remember not to use your "frequent eating" to overeat. If anything you should be undereating in a sense. These frequent "meals" are not essentially meals at all but appetizers or snacks. Just enough to keep your body always running but not enough to store. One of the biggest mistakes here it to go from three large meals to six large meals. A meal in this sense could be as little as a 110 calorie protein shake.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Somewhat... You should actually eat your larger meals before you are active. Say you get up and have your largest meal which should still be healthy and not too much because you are trying to lose weight not gain mass. , then go for a hike. Then you would want the healthy simple carbs (fruits) and maybe a protein shake as recovery for your muscles since they become glycogen depleted after excercise. i assume youd be hiking for a few hours so this should fit into the every three hours thing.
For example:
Wake up and have breakfast maybe egg whites and ham and some sort of carb like toast.
Hike
Post hike meal: fruit and protein or just fruit.
THen three hours ish later a light lunch. maybe a sandwhich etc
three hours later have an afternoon snack which can be as simple as a handfull of trailmix or another protein shake.
Then you would have your dinner three hours later.
Don't pay too much attention to the foods I suggested they were just random foods.
When I was playing hockey, I remember it was essential to be done eating 2 hours prior to I hit the ice, whether game, practice, or off-ice training. The hiking can be done at the longest, 2 hours, depending on pace, and if you stop or not. So the issue I see is having a decent meal, would need to be done at what, 0400hrs? i know from hockey, this was done to avoid cramps and allow my body to harvest the energy so I'd be ready to go full of energy. I do the hikes that early btw, because we already have temps in the triple digits here during the days. Much cooler that early in the morning.

Quote:
Yes, the main thing is that you remember not to use your "frequent eating" to overeat. If anything you should be undereating in a sense. These frequent "meals" are not essentially meals at all but appetizers or snacks. Just enough to keep your body always running but not enough to store. One of the biggest mistakes here it to go from three large meals to six large meals. A meal in this sense could be as little as a 110 calorie protein shake.
yeah that's what I've been doign to ensure I don't over-eat.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Drink a shit ton of coffee.
Not a coffee fan. Don't really drink soda. Just water and powerade/gatorade. I don't drink beer much anymore either.

Gotta become buff as shit you know?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
I tried working out once... It didn't work out.
Why's that?