Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

what do you think is a better workout? mountain or road biking?

Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
what do you think is a better workout? mountain or road biking?

what do you all think?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Better workout for what? Building muscle? Burning calories?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If biking the same distance, mountain biking hands down. Much more rolling resistance and lower gearing. If you want the same workout from a road bike, you gotta go further.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If biking the same distance, mountain biking hands down. Much more rolling resistance and lower gearing. If you want the same workout from a road bike, you gotta go further.
what if the road is up hill!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i kinda feel the same way as PUGGA. i ride everyday after work. i used to road ride with a cyclocross bike. rolling hills that ends in a grind of a climb. i dusted off a mountain bike and i ride offroad. my heart sometimes feels like it is coming out of my chest. i ride every inch, but i admit..i sometimes have to stop, or slow way down.

here is the rub..i only have about 2 hours max to ride. darkness, dinner and sleep (i get up fucking early) limits my time.

thanks. sadly, i dont think offroading is making me a better hill climber on the road. not last week at least.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

Agreed, it also depends on the terrain...

When I was training full time almost we would do both for different kinds of muscle and workouts. I used to ride my hardtail mountain bike with the roadbikes. Best thing I could have done for a workout on the street (although my rear deep lugged tire didn't like it...) when I switched to my cheapo road bike I could beat them easily.

But as for a generic answer I am going to say mountain biking is a harder workout. Simply because you can't coast as far on a mountain bike as a road bike.

The most important thing for me now (no longer training all the time)

is Which is more fun?

Definitely mountain biking...
Last night I went for a 90 minute ride
1. Rode on asphalt for 45 minutes on a bike path
2. Gravel for 10 minutes
3. Snow for 10 minutes
4. Dirt for 20 minutes (Iditarod Trail )
5. Snow for 5 minutes

And meanwhile hitting all the jumps I could see...

On a road bike, its really boring for me if I know the road/trail as you can't go off trail or go off a curb or anything really without risking breaking the bike. My mom just fell over on hers causing $450 of damage!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
SmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
SmEYELey's Tacoma Gallery
Fixie ftw!!!