Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

??Life expectancy for stage 4 lung cancer and brain cancer??

Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Question ??Life expectancy for stage 4 lung cancer and brain cancer??

Ever have a loved one or friend w/ stage 4 lung cancer that moved to the brain? My mother-in-law has it and I'm wondering what her life expectancy is? I know everyone is different. I read a lot of folks make it to 4-6 mths then eventually slip into a coma and die.

I don't want to sound insesitive but I'm just trying to make a decision on whether to short-sale my house and move to Tampa. I really don't want to take a credit hit for the next two years. I have plenty of leave that I'm willing to burn up once we know it's her time.

Currently, she has dimentia, very little motor skills, needs help walking, showering, using the restroom, pretty much 24 hour care. Doctor says he's pretty sure cancer has gotten to her Kidneys and spine as well. She just finished radiation for the brain cancer and will start chemotherapy for the other cancers this week. We can never get a straight answer from the doctor on how long she will have. Seems to me like he knows we will switch to Hospice and then he gets no more insurance money.

My wife has been providing 24 hour care for the past 5 weeks and it's really starting to take a toll on her. My father-in-law is an alcoholic who doesn't do shit. Verbally abused my wife and her sister growing up and still does to this day. M-F while he's at work everything is fine. As soon as he comes home, all hell breaks loose. Especially, if he has a drink.

Any personal experiences or words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I was in a similar situation some years ago (MIL terminally ill and FIL an alcoholic). As a family, we were able to get FIL to dry out for the remainder of MIL's life. It made everything a lot easier for my ex-MIL. It was done as one of those ambush interventions. He was away for a month and between my ex, her sister (and her husband), and I. We were able to take care of her while he sought treatment.

As for the life expectancy question, I don't know that's an easy one to answer as every patient is different. Some make it much longer than others while some pass quickly. Some of the symptoms you describe could be the result of the radiation treatment and she could get better for a while. As I say, there's no good answer.

Remember that even though your FIL is kind of a mean drunk, he's suffering too-that doesn't excuse his behavior-just keep it in mind. Maybe you could come to an agreement about drinking so that he can be a better husband/father in what's surely a difficult time for the family.

I wish there were a solid answer for you. I know this, I wouldn't do a short sale if you can avoid it.

All the best during what must be, a very trying time.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear Zac. Life expectancy varies from person to person. There are all kinds of variables that affect the outcome.

Hope you can get the FIL to dry out and not be a pain while you are all going through this.

Thoughts and prayers going up for your wife's family.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
TacoTitan11's Tacoma Gallery
Susan is right, you never know. Honestly, i would talk to your local hospice. They will be more reputable for that kind of answer. Good luck with everything.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
sorry for the horrific news.

damn. i just went thru this with my Stepdad. doc said, 6 months (stage 4 lung cancer)..internet said 6 months, everyone said six months.

my stepdad went about 9 months.

my advice? dont eff up your credit over this. she wouldnt want you to. i would kick FIL to the curb.

btw, your wife is an ANGEL!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I wish there were a solid answer for you. I know this, I wouldn't do a short sale if you can avoid it.

All the best during what must be, a very trying time.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Thoughts and prayers going up for your wife's family.
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post

btw, your wife is an ANGEL!
Yes she is. I just wish her dad saw it that way and stop treating her like $hit. She has power of attorney and it drives him nuts.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
She was admitted into hospital two days ago for high fever. They found ulcers up and down her throat and stomach. Today they say she has congestive heart failure. Dr. says not looking good. Im heading out to there fri or sat. Wife said to bring nice clothes for her and myself..........
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
All the best to you and your family Zac.

Sooner is better if you can get there.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
So sorry to hear Zac. Prayers for your wife and family.