Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Is Lasik Worth it?

View Poll Results: Was Lasik surgery worth it?
Yes 58 92.06%
No 5 7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #41
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMaster06 View Post
They cut the flap and use the laser to adjust your cornea to the where it needs to be to get you your vision back. The flap heals after a day or two. They give you goggles to wear so you don't rub your eyes while you're sleeping, and also prescribed eye drops to keep it from drying out, which you only use for a week or so. As long as you follow their directions and don't rub your eyes immediately after the surgery, you're golden. Its not like the flap stays there permanently, it heals quickly.
Interesting, I have been told that the flap is there forever. Still too scared to do it myself. I have phobias about my eyes and adams apple. Also I haven't talked to a MD about this, just heard from a friend who had it done.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #42
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
The cornea heals. I rub my eyes occasionally (not bc of the surgery) and have zero issues. It's like my eyes never had anything done to them, besides the better vision obviously. Think about how easily that flap would get ripped off if it stayed didn't heal and stayed like that for the rest of your life. There's no way they would do a surgery like that if that were the case
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
banditdog is on a distinguished road

Name: Jody
banditdog's Tacoma Gallery
I had Lasik done in 2005. My contact prescription was -12.00 both eyes before surgery so I was blind as hell & corneas already pretty thin. The day after surgery when they checked my eyes, I had slightly better than 20/20 vision, and I was told I could expect no better than 20/40. Now 7 years later I actually have 20/30 vision....but MUCH better than what I had!!!!

Now althought can be expensive, I have never regretted it!! But take my advice - do your research and choose a reputable doctor, don't base where you go on cost alone, your eyes are too precious to take chances with a "$299 per eye" special. We were kinda poor at the time, but my totally amazing fiancee (now my hubby) saw how I struggled with my vision and pulled some strings, put his ass on the line for me, and got the money for the surgery which was $4,000, done by one of the nation's best doctors. Included all aftercare appoinments and such.

Also, as many people also said, follow your aftercare instructions RELIGIOUSLY. This will help you have good longterm results. This doctor was amazing and accomplished for me what many doctors said couldnt be done with my eyes. Yes, there are chances that something may go wrong, but isnt that the truth with everything? Good luck to you.....
Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #44
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have been thinking about this for a long time. It sounds like the investment is well worth it, but I just don't want to spend the money... I have been on eye contact for a few years now, gets annoying taking them out and putting back in.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #45
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
My dad is 53 and he has had glasses literally his whole life. He finally got this done about 6 months ago and he is loving it. I must say I am still getting use to seeing him without glasses.

I know one of his eyes healed slower than the other, I think that was the only con
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #46
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
What are the chances of your eyes not healing correctly have the procedure is done?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #47
Oscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: E4 0311
Name: Bob
Oscarbob's Tacoma Gallery
Got it done yesterday. Intralase lasik(bladeless). I'm already seeing better than what my previous prescription on my glasses were. So far it seems incredibly worth it
Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #48
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are giving me a bit of confidence. I'm going to leave in a bit and go to my optometrist and see if he has time to talk about things. He's mentioned this before but I was too chicken. He has referrals.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #49
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
I finally did it a couple years ago... wish I'd have done it earlier!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #50
Superdavert is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Superdavert's Tacoma Gallery
I do not regret it at all. Been 20/20 to 20/15 for five years now. I had thin corneas, larger than normal pupil, astigmatisms, and 20/400 vision. I was scared to get it done after hearing the horror stories. But after meeting my wife, she's going on 10+ years, she talked me into it. Even if it goes bad now, it was worth it.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #51
tacoma.nut is on a distinguished road
Name: Beeb
tacoma.nut's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Bellingham Wa. In 1990 I drove across the border to Surrey and had lasik done. It was the best thing I ever did. I went from coke bottle to 20/25. I use reading glasses but everyone does sooner or later. I did have halos at night for about a year, but with time they went away. I still would rather put up with halos at night than coke bottle vision. It was only 1200 bucks. I don't know what they charge now. Canada approved the procedure many years before the U.S. did. It was invented by a doctor in Venezuela. It is a safe procedure IMO and I would have it again. The surgeon was very empahitical about sunglasses. Buy only very good polarize sunglasses, not cheap ones. So my splurge are Maui Jim's. When u take them off your eyes feels like they just has a nice massage. Go for it.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #52
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
You guys are giving me a bit of confidence. I'm going to leave in a bit and go to my optometrist and see if he has time to talk about things. He's mentioned this before but I was too chicken. He has referrals.

Well I went to the doctor, had an eye test, made an appt with a surgeon who I had spent this time researching, went for a consultation and found that I am not a candidate for Lasik.

But I am a candidate for lens implants.

And just when I was just starting to get over my fear of Lasik.

Back to point 1.....
Old 07-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #54
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Had mine done Feb 2011
One of the best things I've done
Old 08-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #55
juan01 is on a distinguished road

juan01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Well I went to the doctor, had an eye test, made an appt with a surgeon who I had spent this time researching, went for a consultation and found that I am not a candidate for Lasik.

But I am a candidate for lens implants.

And just when I was just starting to get over my fear of Lasik.

Back to point 1.....
That sucks, sorry to hear.

I had LASIK 3 years ago and it's the best money I've ever spent.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #56
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
well i think i’m going to talk to the doctor soon. i have to go in anyways. about out of contacts. have not been in a year, or 1.5 years.

i think last time he said i would be fin to get it. my eyes have not really changed in hell idk how long. at least 4 or 5 years. they stay at 2.50 or 2.75.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #57
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dtmccray's Tacoma Gallery
Had Lasik about a year ago and I reccomend it to everyone who asks me. You get a blur around lights at night for a while but it almost completely went away after a few months. The day after the surgery I hadbetter than 20/20 vision.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #58
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
only draw back I have is your eyelids will droop a bit, other than that its still well worth it.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #59
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
bump so that others that have had lasik done may put in their two cents.

I'm starting to really consider it, I guess I have to get on the ball and set up an appointment for a consultation.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #60
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink junky View Post
bump so that others that have had lasik done may put in their two cents.

I'm starting to really consider it, I guess I have to get on the ball and set up an appointment for a consultation.
x2. i知 really considering it! wait i知 set on it lol. i値l prob go with you did both my brothers. also only down side i see is it will cut into mod money for the taco. but it will be worth it and prob last just as long or longer than the truck will. oh and i知 tired of glasses and contacts. i have had glasses for like 10 or 11 years i think... and contacts 9 or 10 years, i got contacts a year after glasses.