Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Is Lasik Worth it?

View Poll Results: Was Lasik surgery worth it?
Yes 58 92.06%
No 5 7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
jeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeremy_283's Tacoma Gallery
Is Lasik Worth it?

ONLY VOTE IF YOU'VE HAD SURGERY OR KNOW SOMEONE THAT HAS AND HOW THEY FEEL

I've read so many conflicting reviews about Lasik eye surgery that I am unsure as to if it is worth it or not. I even read where in "successful" surgerys the patient has 20/20 vision but experiences haloing at night among other things. Another important point made was that at around age 40 vision starts naturally decreasing anyways so you'll end up back in glasses.

So if you've had Lasik surgery or know someone that has, was it worth it?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Blueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/ EMT
Name: Matt
Blueanimal's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on tapatalk so I can't see the poll.
But my dad got LASIK a couple years ago and he has sees halos at night. He was having to carry two pairs of glasses before (one for distance and the other for reading) but LASIK aloud him to only need reading glasses. But his near vision got worse after the LASIK.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
My mom had lasik surgery done by weaton eye clinic in illinois. she has had 20/20 vision for over 13 years since the eye surgery. she says its the best thing shes ever done. she used to wear contacts/glasses since she was a little kid. I started wearing glasses/contacts when i was 11 or 12 am now 23.. will be getting it done also within a year im sure going to try to anyways.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Had an old roommate get lasik, he was considered legally blind before it, got the surgery and he still to this day says its the best thing he could of done
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Complications with it scare me too much. Saw a video they had to remove the covering on some dudes eyes. He's stuck wearing hard contacts the rest of his life
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
Also it depends on the person too. Make sure a doctor that has done tons of eye surgeries do it.. not one fresh out of school.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
also curious...i have thin corneas so i have to rely on PRK surgery, but also been wondering about any bad stories from the procedures...

my boss had it done and said it's the best thing he's ever invested in...
Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy had it and is wearing glasses again.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Member...?
Hank4444 will become famous soon enoughHank4444 will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
Hank4444's Tacoma Gallery
I know 3 people personally that have had it done. They all have zero regrets about it. My Uncle had it done in his late 40's and was told it is best to get while you are young. I do not know if that statement is true or not but the other 2 people were in Late 20's. Both of them experienced halo's at night for about 6 months, but have been told that it goes away. I am getting ready to have it done later this year when time permits. I'm getting mine done in Auburn from Dr. Hollis because that's all he does all day every day. Anyway my 2 cents.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
leeer1 is on a distinguished road
leeer1's Tacoma Gallery
I got it done in 2000, and have loved it. I asked my Dr a ton of questions about the procedure and his experience. Google for what to ask. Some of the answers are the typical "it depends on the patient " and "each patient us unique" but I felt confident overall. I wore glasses for 14 years prior to the surgery and figure if I could get that after the surgery it would be a sucess. I knew going in as my eyes age I may need reading glasses, but that is acceptable to me. I barely could see the hand in front of my face before the surgery, now 20/40. I do get some halo a night, but it is acceptable. All the people I know have had successful surgeries, 5.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
smtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to beholdsmtaco73 is a splendid one to behold

smtaco73's Tacoma Gallery
I have lasik done several years ago and have only one minor problem. Seems like my eyes get drier faster, but problem was solved when the Doc prescibed me some Restasis (I hope spelling it correct). Never knewI had bad vision until I had a check up after many years of avoiding it. I was told I needed glasses or contacts and that is when I started researching it. After surgery I have better vision and no glasses or contacts.

My wife also had Lasik done after me and loves that she doesnt have to wear glasses or contacts anymore. She had been using both since she was a child and we are both 38.

I guess everyone is differnt but this was our outcome and very pleased with it.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
thairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura about
Army: Signal LT, 228 CSH (USAR)
Name: Anthony
thairannosaurus's Tacoma Gallery
like any operation, there are inherent risks and they could happen but thats if you try to go the discount route and lasik is not one of those things where you cut corners. make sure you research on doctors in your area and DONT BE CHEAP (in texas, i got both eyes done plus i had an astigmatism and it cost me about 4000 and thats on the higher end, in cali it averages around 2000). you get what you pay for. i got mine in san antonio and my doctor is the eye doctor for the san antonio spurs and has won a couple awards for best in lasik in texas. also, a bunch of army buddies had recommended me to him and honestly, like a couple of the other guys it is one of the best decisions i've ever made.

i might as well have been legally blind and right after the operation, i had 20/15 for a while but it finally settled on 20/20. i was super hesitant and put it off for almost two years and i kick myself for everyday i put it off. i finally got it because i joined the army and hated how much contacts and glasses were such a pain in the field and didn't want to even know what would happen when i deployed. you may think "well glass and contacts aren't THAT bad... annoying but whatever" but seriously, if you have the money and the 3 days it takes to heal, do it.

the only side effects i've had from mine are the halos (which get better with time), they don't go away but they get to the point where you get used to it. also, the the day or two after surgery, the sun and anything brighter than car headlights are the most painful thing ever but again that gets much better with time. both of those are very small drawback in my opinion and my eyes get dry a lot now but it's nothing some eye solution can't fix otherwise i've had it for two years and those are the extent of my complaints.

edit: also the entire operation takes all of 15 minutes and the results are immediate. its painfree because they give you numbing drops and it just feels like when you put on contacts, just pressure on the eye and thats about the extent of the pain.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Did it in 2005 and I'm still thrilled with the results. A couple of things to note:

LASIK only works on the outer part of the eye. It's excellent for distance vision but as a person gets older, the lens inside the eye will tend to harden and make it difficult to focus on near objects. This happens regardless of whether or not you have the surgery as it's a result of age, so with or without the surgery, reading glasses will be needed in time.

. Cheaper surgery = older equipment. The discount places use older hardware, which is why they can offer the cheaper pricing. My mother had her surgery years before I did, and at that time they measured 20 points in the eye. When I went, the measurement points were over 200 and the machine was able to follow the movement of the eye if there was any during the procedure. We both used the same doctor.

As newer technology comes out, top price places will upgrade and sell off their existing hardware. My surgery wasn't cheap ($2200 per eye) but I felt that my vision was worth the extra cost.

Definitely one of the best decisions I've made.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I got it done about 11 years ago when it first came out. Got slight night halo's but not that bad.. I developed astigmatism over the years but my vision was 15/20 in both eyes for years.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Had it done a couple of months ago, definitely a wierd/freaky procedure, but well worth the results. I see better now than I was with contacts
Old 06-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
my dad got it about 3 years ago and he said he would never look back. he loves it
Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thairannosaurus View Post
the the day or two after surgery, the sun and anything brighter than car headlights are the most painful thing ever but again that gets much better with time.
I had that issue as well. I put a lot of thought into it and I think I figured out the cause.

It's muscle fatigue.

With the eye propped open and bright lights shining down, the muscles in the eye work to constrict the pupil as much as possible during the surgery. Once the surgery is complete and those muscles have a chance to relax, they're too fatigued to constrict normally again until they've fully recovered. Weight lifters will be able to relate how, after a very heavy workout, the muscles simply lack strength for a few days.

Anyway, that's why I think that comes about. Like you said, it's a temporary side effect and the short-term discomfort is well worth the long-term benefits!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 3 friends that did it and all said it was the best thing they had ever done but one has started wearing glasses again so I'm hesitant about having the surgery also. I'm wearing extended wear contacts for now.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
TJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: TIM
TJGARZA84's Tacoma Gallery
The Best $4200 i have ever spent. Knowng the results i would have paid double.Do your research dont be cheap and go to the best doctor you can find. 7 years with no problems and the feeling is the best.Good luck in your decision. The quicker you do it the better you can actually start living life.

Like others have said - surprisingly fast procedure - in and out in under 10-20 minutes.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
JTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeryck
JTyfz450's Tacoma Gallery
My GF works for a Lasik center in the OR and a few of my friends have had it done. They all say they never regretted getting it done and very glad they did.