Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Any good supplements you can mix with smoothies???

Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Any good supplements you can mix with smoothies???

So I have tried different supplements here and there in regards to protein shakes and so forth. However, I quickly get sick of the taste and most of the time can't keep em down or drink the whole thing. Having said that, is there any type of supplements out there than can be mixed with a smoothie (such as strawberry-banana) or something along those lines??? I get that you could probably throw any type of supplement into a blender and call it a "smoothie". However, I am looking for something that is actually meant to be more of a smoothie, than say a protein shake flavored with chocolate, vanilla, etc... It also doesn't help that I am not a huge fan of white milk to mix all the stuff with, and mixing it with water isn't any better.

Ya guys got any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Make a smoothie, and add protein shake. I use frozen fruit, orange juice, and yogurt, plus some Muscle Milk, which I've found to be the best tasting protein shake out there. Tons of variety that way.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
True, good point. Maybe I'll try a strawberry flavored whey protein and mix it up with some stuff. I'm just wondering if it'll be too thick or chunky with the protein scoops in it...
Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how you feel about yogurt, but that's what I use-nonfat and unflavored. High protein, beneficial gastrointestinal bacteria, and no funny taste sometimes associated with powder supplements.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoteacher View Post
Not sure how you feel about yogurt, but that's what I use-nonfat and unflavored. High protein, beneficial gastrointestinal bacteria, and no funny taste sometimes associated with powder supplements.
Not a huge fan of yogurt, whatsoever. However, I've never tried mixing it and blending it together with others fruits and so forth, so maybe it won't be so bad
Old 06-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
i usually make a smoothie with 1 orange, 1 banana, 4-5 strawberries, a hand full of grapes, a cup of cinnamon apple sauce and a little fruit juice in it. Ive come to find that whenever i put more then about a 1/4 cup of protein in it, it makes it really foamy and nasty to drink. The best mixing stuff ive taken is some GMC brand anabolic strawberry protein, i can literally put a cup of it in a 6 oz glass of water, stir it for a few seconds and its completely mixed in and tastes like a strawberry milk shake and i can drink it in a few seconds
Old 06-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
i usually make a smoothie with 1 orange, 1 banana, 4-5 strawberries, a hand full of grapes, a cup of cinnamon apple sauce and a little fruit juice in it. Ive come to find that whenever i put more then about a 1/4 cup of protein in it, it makes it really foamy and nasty to drink. The best mixing stuff ive taken is some GMC brand anabolic strawberry protein,[B] i can literally put a cup of it in a 6 oz glass of water, stir it for a few seconds and its completely mixed in and tastes like a strawberry milk shake and i can drink it in a few seconds

Yea, I'm worried that if I put too much in, it will just be overwhelming. However, If I can find something comparable to what you just mentioned, I may consider that.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEDEER View Post
Not a huge fan of yogurt, whatsoever. However, I've never tried mixing it and blending it together with others fruits and so forth, so maybe it won't be so bad
I mix it with OJ and about 5-6 different whole fruits in the blender-can't even taste the yogurt. Worth a try, and whatever protein you use, you are definitely taking a big step toward good health. Best of luck.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Obviously I can try and concoct whatever I want and mix whatever together, however, does anybody have any good websites that have different recipes/mixes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Also, whats the difference between the whey protein and casein protein? I was checking them out on GNCs website
Old 06-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
whey protein is a faster absorbed protein than casein. whey is meant to be used before and or after workout throughout the day between meals.. casein is meant to be taken before bed because it takes longer for your body to absorb it... as for my own personal preference i would NEVER go to a GNC ever again. those people just try to push their nasty amped protein on people and a multi vitamin... First of all your body will not absorb 60grams of protein at once. also depending on what you are trying to do you might be undoing it by adding all that fruit or other stuff to your shake.. if you are after a low cal low carb protein and you add all that fruit and yogurt their goes low cal attempt. if your trying to gain weight then it might not be that bad.. but if you don't like the way they taste how about bars instead... i have a buddy who is a supplement repp for a company that sells make at home protein bars.. you just buy the mix and add a cup of pb, some honey and water then stick in the fridge.. they are so good my 2 year old likes them! if interested i can give you the address and a discount code.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
I want a Painkiller!
Noslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoslow100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Noslow100's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I would like the info on where and how to get some of the make at home protein bars. You got any suggestions on a whey protein that I can mix easily before workouts and in the morning in a small hand mixer cup? I have been using an EAS whey protein powder that doesnt taste bad but it doesnt mix worth a shit either. The other one is ON Gold Standard Whey. That stuff is pretty good Im just looking for something different. I like to take one shake as soon as I wake up and another before I work out. Then another immediately after I workout. Then I usually finish the day with a cup of non fat yogurt with some raisins in it for extra fiber. Any suggestions would help. Im not new to dieting and supplements just havent paid any attention to it in a while and I was looking for some fresh advice from something other than an over advertised magazine. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SuperwhiteTRD View Post
whey protein is a faster absorbed protein than casein. whey is meant to be used before and or after workout throughout the day between meals.. casein is meant to be taken before bed because it takes longer for your body to absorb it... as for my own personal preference i would NEVER go to a GNC ever again. those people just try to push their nasty amped protein on people and a multi vitamin... First of all your body will not absorb 60grams of protein at once. also depending on what you are trying to do you might be undoing it by adding all that fruit or other stuff to your shake.. if you are after a low cal low carb protein and you add all that fruit and yogurt their goes low cal attempt. if your trying to gain weight then it might not be that bad.. but if you don't like the way they taste how about bars instead... i have a buddy who is a supplement repp for a company that sells make at home protein bars.. you just buy the mix and add a cup of pb, some honey and water then stick in the fridge.. they are so good my 2 year old likes them! if interested i can give you the address and a discount code.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noslow100 View Post
Hey I would like the info on where and how to get some of the make at home protein bars. You got any suggestions on a whey protein that I can mix easily before workouts and in the morning in a small hand mixer cup? I have been using an EAS whey protein powder that doesnt taste bad but it doesnt mix worth a shit either. The other one is ON Gold Standard Whey. That stuff is pretty good Im just looking for something different. I like to take one shake as soon as I wake up and another before I work out. Then another immediately after I workout. Then I usually finish the day with a cup of non fat yogurt with some raisins in it for extra fiber. Any suggestions would help. Im not new to dieting and supplements just havent paid any attention to it in a while and I was looking for some fresh advice from something other than an over advertised magazine. Thanks.
the website for the make at home protein bars is needtobuildmuscle.com..click on the store link then the protein link. the bars will be on the top row next to their whey protein. i have had the butterscotch,peanut butter, and the chocolate raspberry. the first two have raisins,cranberries and fine slices of almonds in them. the chocolate raspberry didn't. they all taste amazing! the bars will end up similar to a cliff bar type of product not like the normal protein bars that is like eating cement.i have a discount code that i will give to people that send me a pm... its good for 15% off. as far as whey goes i have come across two brands recently that taste amazing. the first one is needtobuildmuscle's protein they have a bunch of flavors and sell in either 1 or 5 pound bags. i have tried chocolate fudge, ice cream sandwich, cinnamon bun, chocolate peanut butter, rocky road and vanilla nut. they are all good tasting. they even also a sample pack so if you want to try a certain flavor you can do that also.
As for the other brand of protein it is Dymatize ISO-100. If you have been reading any muscle mag you have probably seen a couple of the Dymatize adds. I had both the gourmet berry and chocolate..now this protein is pretty expensive as far as protein goes but the 5 pound container seemed to have way more servings in it then the container said. all of these options are night and day difference to the Optimum Nutrition protein. when i started working out years ago that was the only protein i would use.

oh and if you want some more ideas for their bars in their forums they have different recipes for changing them up.