1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken Bones

Discussion in 'Health' started by alexretama, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    alexretama

alexretama [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    March 25th I crushed my tibia and broke a chunk out of the fibula about 4 inches above the ankle. I didnt realize how bad it was untill I tried to get up. After that didnt work, I set it myself while my adrenaline was going. 4 weeks later I learned I was improperly casted and went to another orthopedic surgeon to get surgery... I got an IM nailing with 3 screws on april 20th and I still cant walk due to the poor cast job... I miss working so bad and I cant wait to get back to school. EDD is wack and if I can't get up soon, I'm gonna lose the tacoma... Now, I know someone has done worse, so make me feel better

Pics coming soon:cheers:

2. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:23 PM
    kidrobot7

kidrobot7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma sr5
    well dates are a bit hazy but if you want the short version of everything:
    cracked skull 6 times from age 3-16
    right tibia x2
    right fibula x2
    left tibia x2
    left fibula x2
    fingers & toes x23 (right ring finger today as a matter o fact)
    right radius x3
    right unla x3
    right humerus x1
    left radius x1
    left radius x1
    T1-4 x1 (4 vertebrae of the spine)
    and my left clavicle requiring a metal plate and 6 screws to be put in. The segment over my left shoulder basically disintegrated and the remaining piece broke in two. Then in my sleep the broken piece in the middle broke through the skin when i was sleeping the next night and I was rushed to surgery the next am.

My advice is to find a video game or something you can get into for the time being or a hobby you can do that doesn't require a lot of moving around or you can sit for.

PS fyi i drink milk like its my job I just had a tendency to do alot of "stupid" things when i was younger. I also used to downhill longboard race which lead to a good chunk of those bones breaking.

3. Jun 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    alexretama

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Im speechless.. you have quite a rapsheet:bowdown:

4. Jun 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    That's not something to be bowing down to :rolleyes:

5. Jun 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    alexretama

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    I have a lot of people tell me that they were non weight bearing for a good while but my surgeon suprizingly gave me %100 weght bearing clearence the day of the surgery and Ive had multiple people (including physical therapists) ask If I was sure about that

6. Jun 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    steel plate and 8 screws in my right clavical (collar bone) seperated shoulder, outside of collarbone sits on top of my shoulder now. then i crashed again, bent my plate pretty good. but its still okay!
    3 screws in my left arm
    2 surgeries on my hand from a dam stick
    several concussions
    bad back problems, not even going to get into that one.

all from motocross

7. Sep 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    srsnow

srsnow Member

Member:
    Broke my left tib/fib just below my knee, well it was more of a shatter thana break in November of 03. ER surgery that day nail through the bone with 5screws total 3 in the top 2 in the ankle. Was 50% weight bearing around midJanuary shortly after that some of the screws started backing out of knee area.By about April they were so far out that they formed kind of a skin saddlebetween the two screw heads.

No insurance so the first surgery bill was $75,000 then I was being told itwould be another $5,000 to remove those 2 screws. Went back to the surgeon thatdid it he took them out for $90. It required a scalpel a Snap-on screw driverand 4 stiches. Shortly after that the last screw in the knee broke causing thebone to break again. When it broke this time it also twisted my foot inwardcurved the leg in and shortened it by a little over an inch.

Still no insurance so it was a non-union fracture for about another 2 years.Finally in November of 06 found a private orthopedic clinic that would do thecorrective surgery for $15,000 cash. So between various family members themoney was scrounged up and surgery was done. By January of 07 there was a staphinfection. I was sent to the county hospital for treatment. I was told by thehead of orthopedics there that all i needed was oral antibiotics, this happenedto be very wrong. Every other doctor I talked to said because there washardware in my leg that oral antibiotic would not work the hardware had to comeout and that as long as it was in there I ran a risk of the infection gettinginto the new bone graph and leading to death or amputation. So after a year oforal antibiotics and the infection not going away I was finally scheduled forsurgery. In an attempt by the hospital to save money they scheduled it forThanksgiving which ende up costing them way more since there was no one at thehospital to do the pic line until the next week and no social worker to handlesetting up the home nurse visits to help with pic line care. So after 6 weeksof antibiotics pumped into my heart the infection was gone.

In the end it took over 4 years, a bankruptcy and a lot of time out of workto get fixed what should have only taken a few months to do.

Also the advice of finding a video game or hobby that lets you spend lots of time not moving much and not going insane is great.

Products Discussed in

To Top