Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #61
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the thing, the body is what does the "detoxifying" not the juice. There is no magic taking place by drinking straight juice. Speaking purely nutritionally, doing a 10 day juice fast is a poor choice for health.

I would hate to see someone watch this movie and think a juice fast is somehow a good idea. It's not. Drinking juice can be a part of a healthy diet but its not the answer by itself.

If you want to get healthy and lose bodyfat there are far more appropriate ways to do it than a juice fast. When exploring this idea you need to understand that if all you consumed is juice at some point you would die of malnutrition, that is fact. You require fat and protein to live. You CAN get that from none meat sources if you choose I'm not here to debate that fact, however unless you know how, you probably won't. This is why many vegans look so sickly, they are malnourished. Not because they are vegan but because they don't know how to get what they need from non-meat sources.

You can live several weeks with no food at all so certainly doing a juice fast for 10 days is likely not going to kill you by any means but it is not the healthiest thing you can do for yourself.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #62
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Did you watch the movie? It's completly safe and the guy juiced for 60+ days, got off meds, lost 80lbs, improved blood work across the board and completely changed his life.

Fruits and veggies deff play a role in naturally detoxing the body and has been studied for years. As do certain herbs too. A 60 day water fast would destroy someone's body so the juice in conjuction with the bodies natural healing properties is where the magic is!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #63
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Here is the thing, the body is what does the "detoxifying" not the juice. There is no magic taking place by drinking straight juice. Speaking purely nutritionally, doing a 10 day juice fast is a poor choice for health.

I would hate to see someone watch this movie and think a juice fast is somehow a good idea. It's not. Drinking juice can be a part of a healthy diet but its not the answer by itself.

If you want to get healthy and lose bodyfat there are far more appropriate ways to do it than a juice fast. When exploring this idea you need to understand that if all you consumed is juice at some point you would die of malnutrition, that is fact. You require fat and protein to live. You CAN get that from none meat sources if you choose I'm not here to debate that fact, however unless you know how, you probably won't. This is why many vegans look so sickly, they are malnourished. Not because they are vegan but because they don't know how to get what they need from non-meat sources.

You can live several weeks with no food at all so certainly doing a juice fast for 10 days is likely not going to kill you by any means but it is not the healthiest thing you can do for yourself.
I agree with this guy. Nothing wrong with juice, but more important to have healthy balanced eating habits, which would include protein and even fat. A little bit of carbs and sugar is also required, believe it or not, but in moderation.
I have lost the most weight and felt the best when I cut back on sugar and carbs, and eating healthy veggies and proteins. Juice is good for cleansing, but it is not a healthy 'diet' in itself.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #64
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Right, its a cleanse not a long term diet.....no denying that!

However, it can be used as an aggressive but highly effective way to reverse the negative affects of abusing the body with meds and food as these guys did in the movie.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #65
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Yep, brought it up a few times..........got a nice breville and im restarting the diet as of yesterday. Im including 1 SMALL sensible meal as a dinner tho.
exactly what im doing. I juice for breakfast then have a very healthy small lunch and then i juice the mean green for dinner. Ive been doing it since about a month now with only a gap of a whole week when i was on a vacation. i lost 20 lb all together so far. i feel good, i feel healthier, fresher and i sleep better. Bought me a breville as well.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #66
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not against juicing, in fact I have juiced off and on for about 22 years now. I'm merely pointing out that a juice fast was not the most effective, healthy, safe, way to accomplish the desired results.

This guy did not get healthy and lose weight because he juiced, he simply stopped eating pounds of garbage every day. I think perhaps people are drawing the wrong conclusion from the results.

I'm sure 99% of the people stumbling into this thread really have no idea how the human body works and what role nutrition plays in health. They saw a cool movie and think "holy cow this is the answer!" I'm telling you its not. But please don't take my word for it and I mean that sincerely. Do some research, talk to your doctor, talk to a nutritionist and educate yourself before you head to the grocery store and buy 100 pounds of produce.

Once you understand the nutritional elements you need you will then understand the things a juice fast does not provide. So to say that embarking on a nutrition strategy that would leave you dead in the long term is somehow healthy in the short term sounds a little fishy yes?

So by all means enjoy your juice but enjoy it as a PART of your diet not your diet in its entirety.

FYI our fat sick friend would have been far better off at the end of his 60 days by employing sound nutritional strategies rather than a extreme fad diet.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #67
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
FYI our fat sick friend would have been far better off at the end of his 60 days by employing sound nutritional strategies rather than a extreme fad diet.
My wife and I juice as a lifestyle, and that is what the movie promotes. What this guy does is in no way a extreme fad diet. He changed his entire lifestyle, and it's about much much more than just the fast. He simply uses the fast as a kickstarter.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #68
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
thats a good documentary...seen it couple years ago.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #69
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Food Inc. is also a good one to watch on Netflix, makes you think twice about what you eat and how they produce everything.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #70

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
My wife and I juice as a lifestyle, and that is what the movie promotes. What this guy does is in no way a extreme fad diet. He changed his entire lifestyle, and it's about much much more than just the fast. He simply uses the fast as a kickstarter.
I assume you mean you incorporate juicing into your lifestyle, that's great. But you don't exist solely on juice.

A 60 day juice fast is an extreme fad diet. You can not live on juice alone your entire life. Fruit and vegetable juices are fantastic (although its far better for you to consume as much whole produce as you can vs just taking in the juice) and can be a part of a "lifestyle"

Any diet that removes "essential" macronutrients is extreme and not healthy. This whole "detox" and "kickstart" thing is nothing more than catch words people like to throw around they mean nothing to your body.

Again don't take my word for it I'm just a screen name on tacoma world go research it and by all means talk to a professional.

Seriously if you wanna do some juice for a few days have at it, I'm just saying you cant live on juice alone so for every day you only take in juice your body is not getting things it requires to exist. Think about it before you argue.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #71

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Nobody's saying they do it to live off just juice alone forever......fasting in general and even juice fasting have been around for ages! It's not a "fad" diet to fast, detox or kick start a healthier lifestyle. It's actually good to give your digestive system a break and the juice being free of the bulk fiber that needs digesting to be absorbed is gone and the nutrients can go directly to the body bypassing that process......that's actually the "magic" behind juicing this way and regular fasting in general!

You've clearly stated your opinion and experience and we all appreciate that but stop interjecting your internet wisdom on people that are posting about their experience directly related to what to movie is addressing.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #72

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for keeping us on track!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #73
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Ill have to watch this
Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #74
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
Ill have to watch this
this and "food inc." are both good. It will make you think twice about what you put into your body.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #75
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I assume you mean you incorporate juicing into your lifestyle, that's great. But you don't exist solely on juice.

A 60 day juice fast is an extreme fad diet. You can not live on juice alone your entire life. Fruit and vegetable juices are fantastic (although its far better for you to consume as much whole produce as you can vs just taking in the juice) and can be a part of a "lifestyle"

Any diet that removes "essential" macronutrients is extreme and not healthy. This whole "detox" and "kickstart" thing is nothing more than catch words people like to throw around they mean nothing to your body.

Again don't take my word for it I'm just a screen name on tacoma world go research it and by all means talk to a professional.

Seriously if you wanna do some juice for a few days have at it, I'm just saying you cant live on juice alone so for every day you only take in juice your body is not getting things it requires to exist. Think about it before you argue.
you are looking at it in a very extreme way and i dont think anyone will be juicing for their entire life. Liek someone said i juice every now and then so i can get all the nutritions out of the veggies that i normaly wouldnt eat.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #76
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
this and "food inc." are both good. It will make you think twice about what you put into your body.
I've seen food inc a while back. Since then I buy all organic foods when available and don't eat out. It was a real eye opener.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #77
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It seems like you're ignoring the point, just to argue. The fact is, nothing about the movie promotes a diet. Maybe you should watch it? And FWIW, we juice in a Vitamix, so no "essential" macronutrients are being removed.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon850FL View Post
thats a good documentary...seen it couple years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon850FL View Post
Food Inc. is also a good one to watch on Netflix, makes you think twice about what you eat and how they produce everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
i have a parrot.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #80
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Been doing the Advocare thing and eating smaller portions and better food. Feelin much better, lost about 25 lbs without any exercise changes. I drink the Spark Energy drink in the morning and have gotten off the coke, mt dew and coffee rollercoaster. They have different things for whatever goals people have and haven't found anything bad researching it.

http://www.advocare.com/products/default.aspx