1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When you just don't feel right...go to the Dr.

Discussion in 'Health' started by FoxySandChick, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 7, 2009 at 1:09 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Well I made an comment in the Useless Posts thread that I didn't expect a reaction to, but with all the kind, caring and supportive people on this board I now feel like I should share and not leave you all worried :). I guess I could use the support right now too.

I haven't been feeling 'right' for a few months, so I went to the doc.
    Seems I'm having some heart problems, my blood pressure is sky high and my heart rate is irregular. I have to start taking some meds and get some lab tests done, then see a cardiologist for an echocardiogram and wear a heart monitor for 24hrs. I had an EKG in the office and it was 'basically normal with some spikes and a high heart rate'.

So it's all just wait and see for now.
    It's all kind of strange and scary to me since I have basically no risk factors for cardiovascular problems. I'm 27 years old, I have never smoked, I rarely drink and never heavily, I have a pretty healthy diet and I've always been active, also I don't live a stressful life.

Do we have any doctors on the board? :sick:

I'd appreciate any info or similiar stories that anyone would care to share. Thanks in advance.

2. Jan 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Keep positive. We'll pray for ya!

3. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:22 AM
    johneman

johneman Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Keep your spirits up! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

4. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:28 AM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    Take it ez foxy follow what the docs say we are all with you

5. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:33 AM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yep, keep your spirits up. Hopefully this is nothing. Plus, you have the miracles of modern Medicine. My blood pressure was 140/100. It is now a very average 120/80 thanks to Lisinopril.

6. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:03 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Unfortunately - sometimes it doesn't matter how healthy you live, it's all in the genes. I've seen people here at work have heart attacks at 32. It's scary!

Atleast now - you're under doctors care and on the road to getting better. Sometimes it pays to go to the doctor for regular routine check-ups even if you feel good. It's better to find these health concerns now than later.

Keep the chin up!! Listen to the doctor .....and don't get discouraged.

There's lots of health related forums out there to talk with other people who have the same health concerns.

7. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:12 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I try not to worry about it :cool:, just feel crappy some days.:(
    I'll be starting on Toprol XL this week, hope it makes me feel better. I was at 118/64 in August, started not feeling so well around November and my BP was 140/100 on Monday when I saw the doc. They took my BP 5 times in the office and it was different each time. The right arm was significantly higher than the left and the nurse said she had never seen a difference like that, kind of freaked me out.

Yup :). Doc says to stay out of the gym and avoid similiar activities for now since my heart rate spikes so quickly and takes a long time to come down. I actually discovered it at the gym on the cardio machines with heart rate monitors.

Told my BF he better refresh his CPR skills :D.

8. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:24 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that is the most frustrating part, I've always tried to live healthy. My dad's side of the family has a history of hypertension, but they are older, overweight and smokers, so I always thought it wouldn't be me.

I sort of had to force the doc to order the tests for me :mad:, he wasn't concerned due to my lack of risk factors. He wanted to try meds and come back in a few months, I told him I really concerned and he agreed to do everything now. I want to know the why, just not treat what the problem is without knowing whats causing it and drag it out for months.

I've been searching around on some other heart related forums already, I want as much info as I can, so I can get better as fast as possible :D.

9. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:31 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Keep looking up, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

I feel like grap most days myself living with R.A. it's hard to get started in the morning. And when the pressure drops I know 3 days in advance.

I agree it may be in the genes, I know I share a trate that my mother has, we can lower or raise our heart beat just by sitting there, we can also adjust our blood pressure. Freaks nurses out, but the evenings at the heart ER change my fooling around.

10. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:42 AM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    I know its probably one of the first things the doctor asked, and I don't think that it would effect heart rate, but are you on birth control? The pre-eclampsia with my second child probably predisposed me, but birth control caused my blood pressure to hit 165/98. (was terrified I will tell you that right now!) It took almost a year to totally drop back down to normalish. I haven't checked it in a while but I think its still okay.

I'm really proud of you that you took your health into your own hands and didn't let the doctor put off the tests! You are in my prayers! Can't wait to hear what the tests say!

11. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    He knows what meds I've been on including birth control (depo) which I've been on for about 7-8 years without a problem. I have an appt with my OBGYN in a couple weeks and I'll see what she thinks.

It aggravated and upset me when he 1st said to follow up in a few months. It takes 6-8 weeks just to get an appt anyway, so I wanted it all done now. The tests will all take a few weeks to come back, but I'll be sure to update as I go along.

And thanks again for everyones thoughts and comments. :D

12. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    Oh_Six_Taco_4x4

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 Professional High Fiver

Member:
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    OEM skid plate. 3" Toytec lift with AAL. Trail Gear Rock Sliders Rechargable Maglite
    Foxy, good luck. I'm sure everything is going to be fine. I think your life style will actually compliment the meds well. Medicines these days are very advanced so you shouldn't worry too much. I'm not a Dr but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

13. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Foxy - Keep your chin up... you're in my prayers :D

14. Jan 7, 2009 at 5:06 AM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    I was on birth control for over 20 years with no problem, but it went up over the course of two or three days (near as I can tell) about 4 months after my last obgyn visit during which my blood pressure was perfectly normal! But then, I'm alot older than you are too. In some ways I hope that its a simple fix like that, but at the same time, no BC is a HUGE pain in the ass in many ways! LOL!

Often doctors assume that youth=health, especially since you live well, so they put off tests to wait it out, but nature doesn't always agree! Here's hoping for good, easy answers for you!

15. Jan 7, 2009 at 5:08 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Tell em you/he need LOTS of practice :D

Glad you are getting it check it out, prayers your way. Still many Sand Dunes to conquer :)

16. Jan 7, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    Sorry to hear you're having such problems. At least you listened to your body and when you noticed something wrong got it checked out. Lots of people just pass it off and don't bother going to their doctor. I hope the medication makes you feel better and that good health is on the way. :)

17. Jan 7, 2009 at 5:22 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the suggestion ;).
    I just checked and the progestin only BC doesn't have the same cardiovascular risks as the estrogen types, so I should be okay with that, of course I'll still mention it to my OB in a couple weeks, I'm also requesting a bone scan since I've been on it for many years. Going to get everything I can think of checked now 'just in case' :).

Doc said "you are only 27" and I said "yeah that's why I'm concerned!" :rolleyes: Not like it takes any effort for him to order the tests, I'm the one that has to go back and forth for each one.

18. Jan 7, 2009 at 5:30 AM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    You make a good point--we should be more concerned when young people have problems that they shouldn't rather than less!

Okay, so it's probably not the birth control then, which is good in some ways (did I mention HUGE pain in the ass?! lol! :D ), but I still hope its an "easy" fix rather than a complicted illness that requires more tests and wait time!

19. Jan 7, 2009 at 5:39 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    Thats great that you are having all the tests done now. Your young and have the ability to bounce back quickly. Whatever the problem may be. Don't let it get you down, keep strong. Main thing is to have a positive attitude. I'll keep you in my prayers.

20. Jan 7, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Keep the Faith Foxy! ! !! It isn't the ones that go to the Dr. that have problems, It is the ones that NEVER go that have the problems! !!:)

Products Discussed in

To Top