Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Looks like rebroken thumb, can't afford hospital. Help?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #41
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
couldn't/ wouldn't it be easier to go to a "bone yard" and get a replacement thumb thats as close to "OEM" as possible?
Unlikely. Organ transplants of that fashion aren't typical for many reasons. They're hard to preserve for long enough to make it to the recipient. Then you have all the attendant challenges of organ donation - immune incompatibility which requires lifelong medication regimens to suppress immune activity, which can in turn increase incidence of illness.

Aside from that, you still have the difficulties with nervous system reconstruction that are present in the Solid-Toe-Swap situation.

I'm no surgeon, but the only advantage I can think of of an allograft thumb transplant would be that it's more anatomically consistent with the structures that are there already - that is to say, the musculature/tendons, blood vessels already present in the limb that were attached to the previous thumb. This could result in more recovery of function (theoretically) than the STS, but there are caveats to that as well.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #43
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2ryde View Post
x2
x3
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #44
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
x3
x4
Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #45
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Bah, I couldn't stop hanging out with Robert. He's my best friend. He didn't intentionally hurt me- we're just both kinda dumb, horsing around. Plus, my truck is at his house- we are working on it together.

But anyways, the thumb is broken. I've got a cast on it now, went to the ER with my boss last night. I didn't break it on the job, but he felt compelled to help me out. Guess I'm sorta valuable to him- well, I'm his only framer right now. xD But They set it and put a cast on it. Told me not to work, but I've got to work. So I'm pretty much doing gopher work at work for now, until it's healed.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #46
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Reminds me of how it all got started out herding sheep on what was that mountain?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #48
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Where is the update OP
Old 09-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #49
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Work out the payment plan. Most hospitals will accept "whatever you can pay" each month, but you want to negotiate it formally, otherwise it can still negatively affect your credit.

Furthermore: Make sure they send you an itemized bill. This will show you where the absurd upcharges ($20.00 Ibuprofen, for example)
are and allow you to negotiate the total cost of the bill down significantly in most cases.

This. If this injury occurred while you were doing your job, and you weren't violating any company policies, the whole schmeer could be on their dime.
the hospitals have to make up for the losses they incur treating people with no insurance or money someplace.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
the hospitals have to make up for the losses they incur treating people with no insurance or money someplace.
Yes they do. And typically it's via negotiating fee schedules with private insurers that allow for some of these ridiculously priced items. Like you said, you pay extra on your insurance for his not having any.

The dialogue you should be having is: WHY doesn't EVERYONE in the US have access to basic care?

There are systemic problems and personal ones. I'm helping the OP with his personal problem. The systemic problems of the American health care system are a different topic altogether, and if you want to PM on the topic, I'm happy to discuss it with you.

In the meantime, the OP should absolutely get an itemized bill because it will help his negotiation situation when the time comes.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #51
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=jandrews;5675959]Yes they do. And typically it's via negotiating fee schedules with private insurers that allow for some of these ridiculously priced items. Like you said, you pay extra on your insurance for his not having any.

The dialogue you should be having is: WHY doesn't EVERYONE in the US have access to basic care?

There are systemic problems and personal ones. I'm helping the OP with his personal problem. The systemic problems of the American health care system are a different topic altogether, and if you want to PM on the topic, I'm happy to discuss it with you.

In the meantime, the OP should absolutely get an itemized bill because it will help his negotiation situation when the time comes.[/QUOT

I agree, and I also am fine with anyone in need getting help. I don't think money should stop ANY citizen from getting care that is critical.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #52
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts View Post
Where is the update OP
It was two posts above yours.

"Bah, I couldn't stop hanging out with Robert. He's my best friend. He didn't intentionally hurt me- we're just both kinda dumb, horsing around. Plus, my truck is at his house- we are working on it together.

But anyways, the thumb is broken. I've got a cast on it now, went to the ER with my boss last night. I didn't break it on the job, but he felt compelled to help me out. Guess I'm sorta valuable to him- well, I'm his only framer right now. xD But They set it and put a cast on it. Told me not to work, but I've got to work. So I'm pretty much doing gopher work at work for now, until it's healed."
Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #53
Hillbilly

LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Reminds me of how it all got started out herding sheep on what was that mountain?
Lol, how'd you know things were like that? xD Just kidding, haha. I've seen that movie though- Brokeback Mountain?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #55
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick1993 View Post
Lol, how'd you know things were like that? xD Just kidding, haha. I've seen that movie though- Brokeback Mountain?
Brokethumb Mountain.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #56
Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Lmao, You got it, man!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #57
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Gethaself to the Hospital, Man! Gethaself a piece o' de Obama stash, Man! Obama= P-A-R-T-E! Whoa!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #58
Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Gethaself to the Hospital, Man! Gethaself a piece o' de Obama stash, Man! Obama= P-A-R-T-E! Whoa!
I went last night with my neighbor/boss (my neighbor is my boss), got it set and casted.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #59
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
.Many years ago I broke my finger (twisted it around pretty badly) and set it with a ratchet & deep well socket and then taped it to other finger. Weird story, but true and it turned out fine.

Had another broken finger set by a doc ... and that finger has never been right and has always give me pain ... go figure.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #60
Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
.Many years ago I broke my finger (twisted it around pretty badly) and set it with a ratchet & deep well socket and then taped it to other finger. Weird story, but true and it turned out fine.

Had another broken finger set by a doc ... and that finger has never been right and has always give me pain ... go figure.
Of course! Always ends up that way, eh? You bullshit your way through something serious and it works, then the next time you try to take the proper route- and get f*cked up. Always.