Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Countdown to jaw surgery!

Old 09-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #321
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Get on the phone with your insurance and submit your medical records to their appeals department! I had a similar thing happen with knee surgery last January due to blowing it up skiing. They'll play all kinds of games... I just had to keep appealing bills they sent me and I ended up only being out my deductable which is the way it should have been!
Will try this. I'm just overwhelmed and have no idea how to fight insurance to be honest. I'm only 19 , I know how to party and work. Not fill out legal papers.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #322
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTRATE View Post
What a crock of shit. We're lookin' for a welder or two at our shop if you're interested. Mig, tig, flux mostly on stainless. Climate control, clean shop. Decent money. Starting pay w/o overtime is around $43k/year. We get plenty of ot though. Pretty gravy work. My worst year was roughly $65ish. If you're interestedn let me know and I'll try to get more details. Ain't great money, but could help knick out some of that debt
Offer is very much appreciated but I will have to decline at the moment moving and changing jobs would only add to the debt at the moment.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #323
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by camojared View Post
:$200 wouldn't even pay for the stitches I got on my finger.
You're telling me! $200 probably didn't even pay for getting fluids pumped back into me after I fainted when I got wired shut!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #324
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great man!! keep your head up and keep fighting. You'll get out of this eventually
Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #325
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get a pre estimate????
My wife says if they approve the surgery then you should have gotten a written quote on how much they would have covered. Start screaming and start the appeals process..
Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #326
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Did you get a pre estimate????
My wife says if they approve the surgery then you should have gotten a written quote on how much they would have covered. Start screaming and start the appeals process..
I'm gonna have to look through the papers but I'm 90% sure we did cause I remember being amazed at the price of the surgery
Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #327
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
I'm gonna have to look through the papers but I'm 90% sure we did cause I remember being amazed at the price of the surgery
If u can't find it the dr office should have a copy. It should be with your chart..

You should see the surgery cost, what they will pay and what u owe.
Good luck...
Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #328
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Thats rough, was it covered under medical or dental?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #329
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Thats rough, was it covered under medical or dental?
It was covered under medical
Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #330
Nathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNathan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I don't understand what they are doing. Did you call bcbs and ask how/why it was processed?
Old 10-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #331
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Ok, I don't understand what they are doing. Did you call bcbs and ask how/why it was processed?
Calling them Monday. We're just as confused as y'all lol.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #333
DerpWerx Fab

Yup as do I. We're just confused cause even if the hospital and surgeon was out of network, insurance still covers 70/30. In network is like 90/10. But still, us paying 30% of $53,000 is a helluva lot better than the whole amount lol. Just really hoping someone fucked up the paperwork somewhere along the process and this is all one big mistake.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #334
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Is that the only eob you've gotten so far? It looks like they applied most of it to a in-network deductible. If you want post a copy of the whole thing with your personal info blacked out.
Every state has different laws, and I'm only familiar with Maryland. But here they are required to send you a book detailing everything about your plan/coverage. If you have one, read it and make sure it jells with what they did or tell you.
It sounds like it processed incorrectly, or someone did a really bad job explaining what happened.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #335
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Will try this. I'm just overwhelmed and have no idea how to fight insurance to be honest. I'm only 19 , I know how to party and work. Not fill out legal papers.
Ehhh....Don't think that older folks are any better at stuff like this. I had it out with several "business offices" for being obtuse PITAs.
Get on the phone with them and see what they say, but be prepared to get some professional legal help....
Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #336
Poodle Head Mikey is on a distinguished road
Poodle Head Mikey's Tacoma Gallery
Insurance Companies are Not in the Paying-Out business

Insurance companies are not altruistic - they are like any other business in that they strive to take in as much money as they can while paying out at little as they can. That is simple Business 101 stuff.

And they are shameless - they will do, say, and try Anything to avoid paying out.

And don't forget - the longer they delay paying out - the more income value the money has produced for them. They 'get paid' to wait to pay out.

And also: paying out now cuts off any chance that you will, for example; die and your estate will just settle-up, etc.

The insurance company has every incentive to delay and zero incentive to pay. And especially zero incentive to pay out sooner rather than later.

I would start by first questioning the bills, each time one comes - call and ask about it. Say: What is this? I didn't expect this. I didn't authorize this. Why was this done? I didn't ask for that. And also: this seems like you are scamming me - this shouldn't cost this much. Couldn't it have been done less expensively? I'm only nineteen years old. I think I'm being taken advantage of here. This doesn't seem right to me.

Etc, Etc, Etc. - it's not vital exactly what you say - but act confused, question everything, over and over, and Always keep them on the phone as long as possible. They have a calls-handled quota and get friction if they don't meet it.

Some other good ones are: "Can you repeat that?" "What was that last part?" OK; let's go back to the beginning - I'm getting confused / I must have missed something / you must have left something out / that doesn't make sense to me.

And: "Hold on - can you go a little slower? I can't write that fast - I'm trying to take notes."

After any explanation they give you you can also say: "Hold on a minute; I need to get a pen . . . OK; can you start over? I want to write it down this time."

After a month or two or three of that fun - then start asking for a copy of the bill - you must not have gotten it / you don't remember getting it / you must have lost it.

If they send you copies - then call and ask for an explanation again, to have the bill itemized better, ask who ordered this, etc.

Make the lower-down people dread your calls - because they can get rid of you by paying out the money from the higher-ups. And eventually they will - because you will make it in their best interest.

As the process plugs on you can later ask: Is there any way you can discount this bill? <g>

PHM
-------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
I fucking hate insurance BS
Old 10-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #337
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
I deal with health insurance companies every day, that will not get you anywhere.

According to what's in that photo, his insurance is covering the anesthesia. He didn't post the details of the co-pay/deductible amount.
When your dad paid the deductible, where did the money go? It might be sitting in a separate account (HSA?)
If they are covering the anesthesia portion I don't see how they could not cover the other $50,000+
Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #338
wilki is on a distinguished road
wilki's Tacoma Gallery
Allen, Glad to hear your doing well after this. I hope you get your insurance company to do their part. I was looking at the bill you posted and noticed that there might be a important piece of personal info on it. I am not talking about your name. It is a number. I dont want to say what it is because i dont want this post to show up if a criminal uses a search engine looking for this type of indentifying info.

Wilki
Old 11-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #339
DerpWerx Fab

Thanks for the bump, deleted pic

Also ... turns out there was a typo somewhere in the paperwork!

All i ended up owing the hospital is $2,000 which i am making payments of $100/month on ! All is well
Old 11-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #340
Nathan's Tacoma Gallery
Good to here.