Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Countdown to jaw surgery!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #41
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
This actually looks kinda badass!

Good luck with the surgery. Hope all your facial muscles and tendons get re-connected correctly.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #42
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
just went to the dentist this past monday and they worked me over. I got good medication though
Haha they said ima have some top notch meds
The whole recovery period is gonna be like one major trip
Old 09-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #43
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
T

G Hope all your facial muscles and tendons get re-connected correctly.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #44
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Good luck with the surgery. Hope all your facial muscles and tendons get re-connected correctly.
Haha yea I'm hoping I don't have any permanent numbness !
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #45
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yeah...No. They won't be taking any tendons or muscles apart. The only thing he has to worry about is nerve damage. On the upper not so much, but the lower will likely have some numbness forever. They told me I likely will
Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #46
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I had a severe underbite while I was growing up. After braces for a year or two I had jaw surgery to correct it after my first semester in college. They broke my lower jaw and reset it in the correct spot. I was 18 too. Went in for it on the first day of Christmas break and my jaw was wired shut until a few days before I went back for spring semester. I had to eat soft food for the next couple weeks when I went back to college. After surgery sucked for the first few days while you get used to it. They'll give you some good drugs for the pain, I had liquid Loritab. It tasted horrible but worked awesome. The hospital also gave me a cookbook for liquid diets. You'll loose a few pounds regardless but make sure you stay on top of your nutrition. They told me to use Ensure or something similar to make sure I met basic nutritional needs. Once it was over I was pretty happy with the results. Your's will take longer to heal and will probably be more painful than mine. Good luck with it and I hope you are happy with the outcome.

BTW I didn't have any nerve damage and no numbness.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #48
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I'm more curious how much different my bite is gonna feel...
I'm wondering how long it's gonna take me to get used to biting with my front teeth
Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #49
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Just wait till they cut the wires off and you try to move your jaw again. They saw some people get dizzy or nauseous.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #50
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Just wait till they cut the wires off and you try to move your jaw again. They saw some people get dizzy or nauseous.
Hahaha that should be fun
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #51
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I'm wondering how long it's gonna take me to get used to biting with my front teeth
Yeah dude no kidding. You've got quite the open bite. I more or less have level teeth with a protruding lower jaw. Never really known what shutting my mouth feels like haha. You've got to be in braces now though right? I can only imagine they need to get you lined up. I am anyway...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #53
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
I've been told that I likely won't be wired, but to plan for it anyway.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #54
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Yeah dude no kidding. You've got quite the open bite. I more or less have level teeth with a protruding lower jaw. Never really known what shutting my mouth feels like haha. You've got to be in braces now though right? I can only imagine they need to get you lined up. I am anyway...
Yes sir! This is my 2nd set of braces lol.
He said I was one of the worst cases he's seen my top jaw is also too narrow so they said I'm getting wired shut for sure
And yea with my open bite, I can close my jaw and stick my entire tongue through the gap left open
Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #55

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been told that I likely won't be wired, but to plan for it anyway.
Wow, congrats! That should make it much easier.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #56
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Yes sir! This is my 2nd set of braces lol.
He said I was one of the worst cases he's seen my top jaw is also too narrow so they said I'm getting wired shut for sure
And yea with my open bite, I can close my jaw and stick my entire tongue through the gap left open
I figured as much. So they are gonna separate your pallet, spread it, reset the entire top jaw, as well as cut and reset the lower all in one procedure!? Holy shit the bed Batman, that's a lot going on. Best of luck to you for sure. I'm having 2 cuts made and a rearrangement and mine is nothing to scoff at. Are they grafting any bone?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #57
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Wow, congrats! That should make it much easier.
My surgeon told me that they used to wire EVERYONE, but they really don't have to any more with new tech and what not. Some cases (the OP for example) would still need to be wired for stability reasons. One jaw though, especially lower, he said he rarely wires anymore.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #58
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
I figured as much. So they are gonna separate your pallet, spread it, reset the entire top jaw, as well as cut and reset the lower all in one procedure!? Holy shit the bed Batman, that's a lot going on. Best of luck to you for sure. I'm having 2 cuts made and a rearrangement and mine is nothing to scoff at. Are they grafting any bone?
Yep all of that is going on :P

And yes sir taking bone out of my hip and putting it in my upper jaw.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #59
Vivid Illumination

If I would have read your original post completely I would have known that

You're gonna be out for like 6+ hours and a long recovery ahead. You're gonna be just getting better when I have mine done
Old 09-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #60

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My surgeon told me that they used to wire EVERYONE, but they really don't have to any more with new tech and what not. Some cases (the OP for example) would still need to be wired for stability reasons. One jaw though, especially lower, he said he rarely wires anymore.
It's amazing how medical science improves in what I wish was only a few years, but more like 14. In the OP's case it doesn't sound like there's any way around it. They told me that upper jaw, especially like the OP's, are the most complicated type.