LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Countdown to jaw surgery!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Countdown to jaw surgery!

Well fellas, the countdown has officially begun.
In 33 days (yep on October 31st Spooky huh? ) I will be going into the hospital to get my horrid open bite jaw fixed .

For as long as i can remember, no matter how much i weighed, I have ALWAYS had at minimum a double chin. Dont get me wrong, i aint the skinniest kid around but my face has always been fat and round. Never paid much attention to it because my mom always thought I just had babyfat still and havnt fully matured out. However now that im 18(almost 19), it was time to find my jaw lines lol. I've also always had a lisp, literally for as long as i could talk, my s's were drugged out like a damn snake hissing lol.

So after years of unsuccessful and pointless speach therapy, an expander and braces for 2-years, finally changed dentist and got the real answer from somebody.

The dentist could tell the moment i looked at him that something was wrong. He set me down and after telling him my past, he made me take some x-rays and pretty much said" well heres your problem".

I have what is called an open-bite. My upper and lower jaws do not line up properly thus, causing my teeth to look all jacked up (dentist calls me alligator bite LOL) and pretty much leaving me with no jaw lines at all.

The dentist cussed at me for not coming to him sooner and wasting several thousands of dollars for pointless braces and other dental expenses.

The surgery:
I do not remember the name of the surgery because it is pretty long and blah lol, but i do remember what is going to happen.

First off, they are going to cut my upper jaw into 3 seperate pieces.
Then they will move my bottom jaw forward and rotate it to be at the proper slope. IIRC the proper jaw slope/grade is 20-30% while mine is at like 50%(if my numbers seem off then i apologize but its been a month since ive visited the surgeon and have alot on my mind).
After cutting jaw(may not be in this exact order), they will remove bone from my hip and insert it into my upper jaw.
After all is complete, they will use plates and screws to bolt it all back together and then my jaw will be wired shut.

How long will i be wired shut is unknown as of right now.

Recovery:
They said recovery could take anywhere from 6-8 weeks.
I will be on a liquid diet and should lose about 15-20lbs(maybe more hopefully )
Sucks that ill prolly be missing out on all the Christmas season foods but it'll be worth it

Why Im doing this:
Why am i having the surgery you ask?
Well, cause i have to. This isnt a cosmetic issue.
When i eat, i can only use my back teeth cause my front teeth dont come anywhere near touching and my jaw gets sore.
When i eat sammiches or anything of that sort, if i bite using my front teeth, the inside will stay in the sammich and all i'll bite off is the bread lmao.
If i dont have this surgery, they said my jaw would be worn out by the time im 40-50yrs old and my back teeth would be pretty much gone too.

I made this thread not to receive pitty from people, but to inform everyone,incase anyone or someones children on here, with the same issue as me.
I will be updating this as much as i can,both pre and post op.
Thank you for your time
And you can make fun of me all yall want for this(trust me im used to it)...
But here is the pic of my bite that only my family and closest friends have seen.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
And I thought braces were bad! Good luck man and I hope everything goes well!!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
And I thought braces were bad! Good luck man and I hope everything goes well!!
haha im on my 2nd set of braces right now

I thought the FIRST set were bad
Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
ehhh fuck it, bretts was better than i can come up with
Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
I knew a guy that broke his jaw and had to have his jaw wired shut during high school , he lost quite a bit of weight and I think he was mostly annoyed by writing everything he wanted to say down.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
I knew a guy that broke his jaw and had to have his jaw wired shut during high school , he lost quite a bit of weight and I think he was mostly annoyed by writing everything he wanted to say down.
Lol yea i told my mom that ima get a cowbell and a dry erase board.
Cowbell is to get her attention and erase board is to tell her what i want
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post

You're going to do great.
Haha need more cowbell!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds like a complicated surgery, you are pretty brave! But the results should be beautiful. You'll be happier with your appearance and more comfortable eating. Good luck to you!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
DerpWerx Fab

Lmfao the worst part is that im not gonna be able to do any mods for like 2 months
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
That sounds like a complicated surgery, you are pretty brave! But the results should be beautiful. You'll be happier with your appearance and more comfortable eating. Good luck to you!
Thanks and yea my jaw is something im pretty self conscious and unconfident about so i cant wait to get it fixed .
Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
wish you the best of luck! my dad has been a dentist for over 35 years
Old 09-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oury View Post
wish you the best of luck! my dad has been a dentist for over 35 years
Thanks man
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck man! It will all be worth it.

I have a pretty busted nose from wrestling and have been on the fence about getting it fixed for years now - I'm too afraid of the surgery to be honest. You're braver than me!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
Tortoise*
IndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AJ
IndigoTac07's Tacoma Gallery
Wish you luck man! Glad it's gonna get fixed!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Damn bro! Good luck with the surgery I'm sure you'll be fine. I see lots of ice cream and pain meds in your future
Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
yikes! good luck man. . and i thought my TMJ sucked lol. hope it ends up being worth it, im sure it will.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #19
thevelvetteen is on a distinguished road

Name: Joey
thevelvetteen's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck!
When I was a senior in high school, I broke my jaw while pitching in a varsity regional baseball game. Line drive to the side of the face and broken in two places. Surgery was about three hours, plates, and screws, then wired shut for 6 weeks (still have the plates and screws in my jaw, they are very small). Hang in there after surgery, obviously your procedure is much more dangerous than mine was but once the swelling goes down after about a week and the wounds on the inside of your mouth heal you will be just fine. Also, you will be able to talk with it wired shut, trust me, I would even try to sing once in a while. The only thing that tough was when I had to yawn or sneeze! Drove me crazy! Hope everything goes according to plan and you recover quickly.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Several years ago I assisted a craniofacial surgeon on an Intervertical Ramus Osteotomy (iirc).
Basically slid the mandible forward. Patient did great and looked much better with a chin.
Man, it was what I like to call a real "hog-killin" surgery but very cool and fun. A butt load of lil Ti plates and screws.
Good luck !!!