Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

Adjustable Dumbbells?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
"Some people feel the rain, others just get wet"
HawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
HawaiiTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Adjustable Dumbbells?

How's it everybody. So I was at the local Sports Authority checking out some equipment and have been wanting some adjustable dumbbells ever since I first tried them out at the gym. I then noticed the $300+ price tag and thought that's a little much for me. There are some cheaper ones available on Amazon and Ebay though. My question is just does anybody have a set and mind giving a review? Seems like other than price the main differences is the way it adjust, the increment amounts, and the top weight setting. I have a hard time fitting gym into my schedule, so the option to work out right at home and the versatility a dumbbell gives is very tempting to me. I'm one of those guys that are very careful with his money and investments so I'm always debating with myself like this

Also, if anybody has a set they would like to sell I may just make an offer
Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
dizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dizzle01333246's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt buy them. Get a gym membership so you can get a total body workout. Hope this helps
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
I personally don't like them. Seems like every time I see them in gyms they either don't work or only some of the plates lock and not all. Don't know about brands or anything though. As for the ones on Amazon and Ebay, how much for them + shipping? Shipping can be a bitch. I couldn't find any 35lb kettlebells here so I ordered them online and shipping was around $80 due to the weight. Try asking around in here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hea...-workouts.html
Old 10-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
HawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No doubt gym is the way to go, but I never have time. I figured dumbbells is great for home because with a flat bench I can target every major muscle group.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
I would just hate to spend that much money on something and not have it last very long knowing that dumbells can last years. Try getting the average weighted dumbbells, 10lb, 25-35lb and 60lb?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I considered them but
-the brand I looked at didn't go heavy enuf
-for less money I could just buy 3 or 4 increments and get what I need
-wifey already had some little girlie plastic weight things
-visions of a plate coming loose and crunching my zygoma
- I luv the Y (cue gay music)
Anyway, that was my rationale for avoiding, but they are indeed tempting.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Buy these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Add more plates as needed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 10-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #9

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get me wrong, they are convenient but I'm just a bit skeptical on the durability
Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post

This is a good idea, far cheaper. I never considered shipping cost too. Thanks everybody
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I did have those dumbbells but thats only 20lb's a piece......check craigslist for additional weights if needed. You would need to go up to atleast 75lbs a piece?

I'm not a big guy but can row and one arm press 75lbs no prob.

Another option is to get 2 16kg kettlebells and hit the beach for some strength and conditioning.....I prefer those over traditional workouts!

Sprints, push ups, burpees, high jumps in the sand mixed with KB swings, snatch, thrusters, press and rows and you'll be hitting the entire body!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
The adjustable PowerBlock dumbells are the only way to go. The other brands have plastic parts that break easily. You get what you pay for!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
Banned
evh5150 will become famous soon enough
Name: Eddie
evh5150's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the Bowflex dumbbells. They were terrible, always falling apart. Powerblocks as stated above is the way to go
Old 10-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
D44boy is on a distinguished road
D44boy's Tacoma Gallery
Power block all the way! Had mine for yrs, not one problem. Strong and sturdy. And expandable if u want to go even heavier.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
BOOMSHAKALAKA
boardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud of

Name: Bomb.com
boardude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evh5150 View Post
I have had the Bowflex dumbbells. They were terrible, always falling apart.
I had these too. They def lacked some durability considering the price and I was always afraid of breaking them if I put them down the wrong way. My justification for getting them was what I would be saving on the monthly gym membership fee and gas. But when I used them, I found myself working in front of the TV and would get distracted by other things making my workout not so effective. Long story short, I sold them and went back to the gym.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel1274 View Post
The adjustable PowerBlock dumbells are the only way to go. The other brands have plastic parts that break easily. You get what you pay for!
Oh the PowerBlocks are what my old job had at their gym. Those are definitely the best I never know what they are called until you mentioned it. Going to look into those I'm guessing they are also quite expensive.

Products Discussed in this Thread