Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

It's time for change

Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #42
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
GL OP! I've got my own thread like this a little bit down the main Health page. Wife and I have been going for about 4 months now, we have a weight loss challenge. Helps keep up the motivation. Winner gets some oral satisfaction! Yay for for getting skinny and earning blowjobs!

I was around 208. I am down in the low 160's. (Unoffical 161.2 yesterday) I know, not quite your size but thats not the point.

We've gone off calories for our weight loss. We haven't done this crazy program or that crazy program, just plain ol' watching calories.

I personally, cut out a lot of fast food and high calorie dinner side dishes. Fast food is super killer and I was having it once, maybe twice a day. Instead of 3-4 pieces of garlic bread at dinner (270 cals per slice...adds up quick when you eat 3-4) I have a baked potato, much lower calories and still fills me up.

Don't take things totally away from yourself though, you won't feel human. Find the lower calorie option. FiberOne makes some incredible low calorie stuff, great breakfast oat bars, they make amazing 90 calorie little brownies. I still have pizza once a week as well.

A big part is finding lower calorie options for the things you like and cutting out a lot of super high calorie stuff. I've found lower calorie hamburger, bratwurst, breakfast bars, brownies, etc...just start paying attention.

I can't offer much advice excerise wise...I run around an auto shop all day so I get a lot of the activity I need from there. We were jumping rope for awhile but that kinda went down the hill. I've been doing these legs lifts lately though to work on my middle. Been the last place to get rid of the fat, but it finally shinking.

My daily routine is pretty much this...

-Breakfast: 2 FiberOne granola bars.

-Through day: Light stuff. I can personally do without luch a lot of times, but I'll eat a serving of pretzels (90 cals) or I'll find another low cal option. Oat bars are good, low in cals and fill you up. Apples keep you full as well.

-Dinner: This is truly the one "meal" a day I do eat. Like I said, I haven't really changed what I'm eating at dinner much, just lower calorie options now and not calorie killer sides. Leaner, low cal hamburger, pork, low cal brats or turkey sausage. Chicken. I eat a shit ton of baked potatoes.

Again, GL OP! Get er' done!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #43
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck Matt! I hope you can stick to your goal. Don't punish yourself, enjoy what you like now and then, but keep to your plan and just replace a lot the crap you'd normally eat, especially during those late night times, with something better and healthier. There's plenty of good nutritional stuff that can replace candy & crap.

A month ago I was watching the news in the morning, there was a guy who was speaking about men in their 40's. This guy was in great shape. He was on the cover of some magazine about men and their health in their 40's. The guy was ripped.

He was very inspirational, and very down to earth, just a real normal dude and I loved what he had to say. The things that stuck out and I remember most are.... people spend too much time in the gym, just watch the calories going in and the calories getting burned, drink more water, and spend 20 minutes a day getting the heart rate up. He said that's what you need on daily basis, 20 minutes. Focusing on something different each day.

Good luck Matt! You have big nuts coming here and posting your thread. I'm 46 now, 6 ft tall, about 198-200 and need to focus on getting my heart rate up more often and eating better so I can be around for my one year old son and my wife! I don't want to be hooked up to oxygen when he's 13. I used to eat better and mountain bike with my friends, every day. Now all I do is work in my shop, but do still take a lot of walks, which are great, but just don't get the heart rate up enough or burn the calories I really should be burning.

Without reading all the other posts, I really like the advice dexterdog gives in post #41. I'm sure there's alot of good advice in this thread, and a lot of good people rooting for you.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #44
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you, Chris and Brian! Very encouraging words and great advice.

I'm lucky to have such great people rooting for me.

A little update, I'm down 15lbs since I started this regiment last Monday. Lunch has been very easy, either a salad with chicken from Chipotle or a brown rice and veggie bowl with chicken from Flame Broiler. Haven't had a burger in 2 weeks...which is almost unheard of for me but it's not bad. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, which is making this feel more like a lifestyle change than a diet.

No soda either...that's a big one for me as well. I've been drinking nothing but water and unsweetened iced tea for 2 weeks.

Thanks again! Pics will be up soon.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #45
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Thank you, Chris and Brian! Very encouraging words and great advice.

I'm lucky to have such great people rooting for me.

A little update, I'm down 15lbs since I started this regiment last Monday. Lunch has been very easy, either a salad with chicken from Chipotle or a brown rice and veggie bowl with chicken from Flame Broiler. Haven't had a burger in 2 weeks...which is almost unheard of for me but it's not bad. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, which is making this feel more like a lifestyle change than a diet.

No soda either...that's a big one for me as well. I've been drinking nothing but water and unsweetened iced tea for 2 weeks.

Thanks again! Pics will be up soon.

Great job on the weight!!!!! I bet it feels good.

How are you doing on the smoking? It's been 8 weeks smoke free for me and I feel fantastic!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #46
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash42 View Post
Great job on the weight!!!!! I bet it feels good.

How are you doing on the smoking? It's been 8 weeks smoke free for me and I feel fantastic!
Thanks! Like I said earlier, I'm down to pretty much a pack every 45 days. I still have a pack on me at all times, but I only smoke when I'm at a social event, etc. And never really more than 2 in a single day. Going from 17/day to 20 a month, I think that's a huge improvement.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #47
aidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: miguel
aidenhardcore's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the 15lbs weight loss. That's great so far. Keep it up dude. I know it can be hard to do. I'm at 40 lbs loss now and I feel stuck. Like in a rut and I can't get out lol but just gotta try hard. If your sick of drinking tea Walmart has the single packets of like fruit punch, ice tea, lemonade and pink lemonade. It's one buck for 10 little packets that you put in your water bottle. No sugar in them and only 5 calories . Really good for you. Just thought I would point that out. There really good and healthy for you. Keep it up dude. Good luck
Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #48
REBELTACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenhardcore View Post
Congrats on the 15lbs weight loss. That's great so far. Keep it up dude. I know it can be hard to do. I'm at 40 lbs loss now and I feel stuck. Like in a rut and I can't get out lol but just gotta try hard. If your sick of drinking tea Walmart has the single packets of like fruit punch, ice tea, lemonade and pink lemonade. It's one buck for 10 little packets that you put in your water bottle. No sugar in them and only 5 calories . Really good for you. Just thought I would point that out. There really good and healthy for you. Keep it up dude. Good luck
That's a great tip! I actually really enjoy unsweetened iced tea, but I'll give those a shot! definitely a good thing to have when going to a restuarant with friends, etc.

Thanks man

Another Update: Now that I'm in the 200's again, I tried on some jeans and a belt that I used to be able to lock in at the first notch. Now, I have to go to the THIRD NOTCH to keep my pants from falling down!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #49
The109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy:
Name: Joe
The109's Tacoma Gallery
Keep up the good work! Quality of life is very important to me so I follow a healthy diet and get plenty of exercise. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #51
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
AWESOME! keep it up man, I haven't read the whole thread, I believe you have to look at this as not a quick fix, but a change. As of now, you need to see yourself as a guy who eats well, and exercises, takes care of himself, and no longer a fat guy who loves cheeseburgers. If you can do that, you are going to look good and feel even better! again, nice work brother!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #52
REBELTACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Any update man? Staying strong so far or have you been cheating a little? lol
Shed some more lb's?
It's actually become so routine, I completely forgot to update you guys! I'm 3 sizes down on my jeans from when I started exactly a month ago, and I've lost a total of 25lbs so far, putting me right on track to lose 100lbs by Spring Break 2013!!

I reviewed some of Edwin's notes, and he said he allowed himself one cheat day a week. I hadn't even known that until last week, so I thought I'd try it and if it felt out of place, I'd continue without one. It was nice to be able to go out with friends and eat what they eat for once, but I'm still off soda and I minimized white carbs.

Thanks for holding me accountable! I gotta remember to update you guys at least once a week.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #53
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
That is awesome Matt! Keep it up!

something you might want to look into this as supplemental nutrition, I been drinking it for a month...AMAZING stuff!

This was the video that had me convinced....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzHPVDtzr-Q
Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #54
Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?
Doc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Doc4216's Tacoma Gallery
Matt,
I just read this for the first time and let me just say you are doing great. I recently did something similar. Wanted to lose 40lbs and decided I was tired of being out of shape. I've had three knee surgeries so that extra weight really put a hurting on my knee. I was almost 200lbs and want willing to go over that mark.

I had been on a roller coaster for about 3 years and was sick of gaining and losing. So I decided to set reasonable goals for my life. I would lose 5lbs a month and make good choices for my nutrition, starting with portion size. Cut back on sweets, sodas, alcohol, and limit condiments (all empty calories) and it's working. I'm down 20lbs with 20 more to go! Just stay disciplined and choose feeling good over that instant gratification.

You're doing great and keep it up! Rooting for you man and you have tons of support here!

Shannon
Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #55
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Great Matt, Im happy for you man. I read though you first post, and that was truly inspiring. I think that you will exceed you goal tremendously if you keep that good attitude you have. Walking really does help burn off the calories bro. I walked for 45 minutes at a brisk pace a day for 6 weeks, watched what I ate, and lifted at the gym for around 10 hours a week. I lost 20 lbs in fat. I weighed 237 when I started at 24% body fat. I am now 217 at 11% fat. You can do bro. Remember, the burn feels good, abs are made in the kitchen, and you have everyones support. GOOD JOB BRO
Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #56
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
Matt, I just wanted to let you know I was inspired by your post today and I've decided it's time for a lifestyle change for me too. I'm tired of always feeling self conscious about what I look like and I remember when I dropped weight 1-2 years ago and how fucking amazing I felt. I'm not excessively over weight but I do need to drop about 20 lbs to get to my healthy weight (I'm only 5' 7'' and 183lb). I went out to the grocery store today and picked up some much healthier food than what I was eating and I'm changing my diet (not just going on a diet). Thank you for the inspiration and hopefully we can both get to our goal!

Matt
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #57
REBELTACO

Quote:
What all are you doing to drop so much weight? Proportioning meals? No sodas? No fast food or cheeseburgers?
Any excersizing?
No soda without exception, only food I eat outside of home is Flame Broiler or Chipotle, ordering chicken breast with brown rice and vegetables. It's nice to change it up sometimes. Only excercise I'm doing right now is walking. I want to shed about 40lbs then start lifting...right now, I'm focusing more on the cardio, keeping my heart rate up, and keeping the sweat flowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Matt, I just wanted to let you know I was inspired by your post today and I've decided it's time for a lifestyle change for me too. I'm tired of always feeling self conscious about what I look like and I remember when I dropped weight 1-2 years ago and how fucking amazing I felt. I'm not excessively over weight but I do need to drop about 20 lbs to get to my healthy weight (I'm only 5' 7'' and 183lb). I went out to the grocery store today and picked up some much healthier food than what I was eating and I'm changing my diet (not just going on a diet). Thank you for the inspiration and hopefully we can both get to our goal!

Matt
Hey Matt,

I'm glad I was able to inspire you to make a great choice in your health! Please let us know how you are doing along your journey to a healthier you!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #58
REBELTACO

Quote:
Update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Are you buff as shit yet?
not yet...Still working to get the pesky pounds off. Sticking to meals like this...my lunch today was brown rice, grilled chicken breast and steamed carrots, broccoli, snap peas, and green onions with one packet of gluten free low sodium soy sauce.

Biking about 10 miles a week now, which I can barely fit into my schedule consider how cold it's getting after dark these days.

Current weight is at 288lbs. It's getting harder to shed the pounds, but I'm constantly trying to trick my body out of it's comfort zone to keep the numbers dropping.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #59
REBELTACO

Quote:
I feel yea man.
Ive started to diet too and all i really eat is lettuce and grilled chicken now lol

Dont know what you like to drink but, i found out those MiO things that you pour into your water bottles are actually pretty good.
Helps give water a lil flavor lol

Any idea of what your caloric intake is per day?
I've actually been drinking a combination of Mio and unsweetened iced tea. They sell iced tea pretty much everywhere so I've been opting for that when I don't have my Mio around.

Average caloric intake is around 1100-1500 cal/day.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #60
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I like it, I need to get back into shape myself. 6'2 210 lb, I never watched what I eat and I try the functional fitness thing since the 2 kids keep my on my toes. I am glad that you are keeping it up and updated. Cant wait to see if you have reached your goal by Spring!!!! Congrats and keep it up!!!!