1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

It's time for change

Discussion in 'Health' started by The Traveler, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Mar 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Yeah I'm down about 30lbs from where I started. I need buy some new shoes, my running shoes finally got a nice hole in the side.

2. Mar 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    t4r4life

t4r4life poptard and protein farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    1998 Toyota 4runner
    panty dropping mod
    Good work man! keep it up don't let us down :D BTW you got the classic endomorph body frame, you should start lifting weights more and build some muscle up, more muscle = more fat burning

3. Mar 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    JDR07

JDR07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR
    Duct Tape
    netflix "fat sick and nearly dead."

4. Mar 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Great job man. 30lbs is nothing to sneeze at over a short time.
    I went from 225 to 180 in 6 months, but I couldn't maintain 180 for more than a couple of weeks and ended up stabilizing at 190 for a few years.
    Job and life changes (and age!) have worked against me and I'm back up over 200 again... I need to get my ass in gear and start walking/running again, especially now that my job has me tied to a desk.

And you young guys... keep an eye on your intake and activity. When I was 18-20 I was 135lbs at 6'3". My breakfast was SIX eggs, a half pound of sausage, four slices of toast, and a quart of Tang.
    Lunch was something from JiTB, and dinner was either a half-pound burger on a french roll, or a large steak and russet.

When I was around 25, I was still a solid 180. Left retail, took an office job, and I was 230 within 6 months. I carried that for 15 years.

Your metabolism WILL slow down when you hit your mid 20s-30s, and your weight can easily get out of control if you don't constantly adjust your intake to your activity level.

5. Mar 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the encouragement Eric and for the advice Rich!

6. Mar 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    WVtriple

WVtriple Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    WV eastern panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Sport
    Satoshi grill mod, Redline Tuning Hood struts and tailgate E-Z down, HID headlights and fogs, LED tail lamp upgrade, TRD exhaust, FJ TRD Anthracite Wheels, T-REX eyelids, power sunroof, 5100 Billies and ToyTec AAL, K&N drop-in, TRD seatcovers, Weathertech floor mats, Fog light any-time mod, Pop-n-lock, slotted front rotors with ceramic pads, BenWa power rear slider mod, blackout badges, and blacked out center stack and console. 7" HID's behind the grill. LED light bar in the lower grill. Trailer plug relocate. Auxiliary reverse LED's wired in to be manual or auto on when in reverse.
    Matt, you're doing awesome brother!
    Here's a little about me, I'm 44 and weighed at 268lbs standing only 5'10. I have always been bulky, I played college ball at 272lbs, I was a center. I came out of college and was down to a svelte 250 (so I thought) but was really in to heavy lifting. 3 lift totals were right around 1700lbs (squat, dead, bench) so I figured bulky was the way to go. Speed up time and the strength is all but memories. Bad shoulder, bum knee, the list goes on and on, but I'm still 260, Not cool to be bulky like that and I was hurting to do anything I enjoyed, just as you. I made the choice, like you and many others on here to get better, and become a healthier member of society. I got into crossfit style exercise with the advice of some friends. So basically high repetitions of body weight movements and full body lifts (clean and presses, kettle ball exercise etc.) with very short res periods in between sets to keep the heart rate up. BTW I hate burpees! Anyway this was working and in no time (2 months dropped 27 lbs.) I picked it up a notch by hitting it 2x a day at least 3 days a week. Well here comes the punch in the face. I got a kidney stone. It was not pleasant. (mind you I have never had one prior) I was hospitalized, ran around with a catheter in my pee-pee for a week and half, and still ended up passing a 8mm stone.(think small pea). All because of I did not drink enough water. Oh I drank water, but I drank coffee and TEA with out thinking of the consequences. The ice tea your drinking is a diuretic. So your dehydrating yourself with out knowing it. This along with the intense work out spurred me to form the kidney stone. So please up your intake I water. I noticed one person mention 2 liters. I label 4 liter size bottle with numbers 1-4. Fill them up with water and a squeeze of lemon juice(acid in your water helps with preventing stone formations) and when I finish number 4 at the end of the day I know I've had plenty. Sorry it was such a long winded post just to get to "please limit your TEA intake and increase your water intake". You will be surprised that right now if you increase your water to about 4 liters, give or take, the weight will start dropping again.
    Keep it up, you will succeed!

7. Mar 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Wow, incredible! Thanks for the tip, and I actually have switched over to more water than tea. I drink on average 1.5 gallons a day now. CONSTANTLY drinking water at work and in the truck. I just seem to not get enough of it. I have 1 tea a day with a meal and that's all. No soda whatsoever.

Thanks again!

8. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Keep at the fruit, veggies, water and exercise, man! Way to be! Weight problem or not, everyone should be eating like this. All that soda and sugar and junk is killing us. Keep it up, man. Stoked to see that you're doing something positive that makes you happy. I'd bet it'll make your loved ones and future family happy as well :thumbsup: It may sound strange but I always think of my future sons (hopefully sons) and realize I need to stay fit so I can do cool stuff with them.

9. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Yes I actually think about that all the time. I'd hate to be the fat dad who just sits around all day and watches the tube. I wanna be active and take my future kids out hiking and camping and wheeling and stuff like that. I gotta be fit for all that. Not to mention set a good example.

10. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Proud of ya, man. Keep it up, even when it gets rough. It'll be worth it.

11. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Dropping soda is huge. I did it as a new years resolution last year and haven't had a soda since

12. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    We like to only put the best products in our trucks because only the best will do! We're concerned about performance and longevity. Then when it comes to our bodies (something we can't just replace easily) we put all kinds of garbage into it. . . Makes sense. 'Merica.

13. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Tis true.. I work for a food catering business and its disgusting to see half the shit that goes out. Not because its bad quality but because people order so much and then eat all of it.. we rarely have waste and sometimes we put out as much as 2500 calories per meal.

14. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    prerantaco

prerantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    mesa, az
    Vehicle:
    prerunner
    whats your total weight now??
    doing great!

15. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I'm at 280 now.

16. Mar 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    NicksRig

NicksRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Skid plate, block heater, bug deflector, blacked out headlights, tinted fronts, OME 3" lift, Toytec AAL, Revenge-Fab Sliders, K&N Air Filter
    Good Job, Keep at it!

17. Mar 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    Good job duder! Funny, I was just thinking about this thread this morning and then it popped up on the home page. I haven't weighed myself but all my clothes are fitting better now especially the pants. I've been walking the dogs more frequently and now thanks to day light savings I'll have all that extra sunlight after work to do stuff. Last night I was cutting down tree branches for about 3 hours...yard work is one hell of a workout when you're out of shape! I've also been trying to keep my daily calorie intake to under 2000 and most of the time end up under the 2000 mark. I eat less at each meal which has really helped with the calorie counting. Also I've been going to the driving range at lunch just for a little extra activity.

18. Mar 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    dbclbemtp

dbclbemtp Member

Member:
    Dublin GA
    Vehicle:
    10 double cab lb 4x4
    Man, sounds like you are doing awesome! I am presently working on my own weightloss journey. I'm down 75lbs and have hit a small plateau, mostly due to a rotator cuff tear and surgery to fix it. I'm stuck at the house for three months with no strenuous activity. Funny how boredom equals hunger! Anyway. I thought I'd share what got me going and inspires me everytime. (To be honest, I jumped to the end of the thread to share this after checking your progress. So if you've seen it already, sorry Ijust love sharring this guys story and DDP's program.) If the link doesn't work, go to youtube and search Arthur's transformation. The program he used is a little unconventional, but effective and pretty cool. Hope it helps. BANG!:D

http://youtu.be/bIXOo8D9Qsc

19. Mar 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM
    dbclbemtp

dbclbemtp Member

Member:
    Dublin GA
    Vehicle:
    10 double cab lb 4x4
    Sorry, forgot to add in there that I started the program at the heaviest I have ever been at 403lbs, now down to 325lbs, but still have a long way to go. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Products Discussed in

To Top