Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

It's time for change

Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #101
WVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVtriple is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
WVtriple's Tacoma Gallery
Good work

Matt, you're doing awesome brother!
Here's a little about me, I'm 44 and weighed at 268lbs standing only 5'10. I have always been bulky, I played college ball at 272lbs, I was a center. I came out of college and was down to a svelte 250 (so I thought) but was really in to heavy lifting. 3 lift totals were right around 1700lbs (squat, dead, bench) so I figured bulky was the way to go. Speed up time and the strength is all but memories. Bad shoulder, bum knee, the list goes on and on, but I'm still 260, Not cool to be bulky like that and I was hurting to do anything I enjoyed, just as you. I made the choice, like you and many others on here to get better, and become a healthier member of society. I got into crossfit style exercise with the advice of some friends. So basically high repetitions of body weight movements and full body lifts (clean and presses, kettle ball exercise etc.) with very short res periods in between sets to keep the heart rate up. BTW I hate burpees! Anyway this was working and in no time (2 months dropped 27 lbs.) I picked it up a notch by hitting it 2x a day at least 3 days a week. Well here comes the punch in the face. I got a kidney stone. It was not pleasant. (mind you I have never had one prior) I was hospitalized, ran around with a catheter in my pee-pee for a week and half, and still ended up passing a 8mm stone.(think small pea). All because of I did not drink enough water. Oh I drank water, but I drank coffee and TEA with out thinking of the consequences. The ice tea your drinking is a diuretic. So your dehydrating yourself with out knowing it. This along with the intense work out spurred me to form the kidney stone. So please up your intake I water. I noticed one person mention 2 liters. I label 4 liter size bottle with numbers 1-4. Fill them up with water and a squeeze of lemon juice(acid in your water helps with preventing stone formations) and when I finish number 4 at the end of the day I know I've had plenty. Sorry it was such a long winded post just to get to "please limit your TEA intake and increase your water intake". You will be surprised that right now if you increase your water to about 4 liters, give or take, the weight will start dropping again.
Keep it up, you will succeed!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #102
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVtriple View Post
Matt, you're doing awesome brother!
Here's a little about me, I'm 44 and weighed at 268lbs standing only 5'10. I have always been bulky, I played college ball at 272lbs, I was a center. I came out of college and was down to a svelte 250 (so I thought) but was really in to heavy lifting. 3 lift totals were right around 1700lbs (squat, dead, bench) so I figured bulky was the way to go. Speed up time and the strength is all but memories. Bad shoulder, bum knee, the list goes on and on, but I'm still 260, Not cool to be bulky like that and I was hurting to do anything I enjoyed, just as you. I made the choice, like you and many others on here to get better, and become a healthier member of society. I got into crossfit style exercise with the advice of some friends. So basically high repetitions of body weight movements and full body lifts (clean and presses, kettle ball exercise etc.) with very short res periods in between sets to keep the heart rate up. BTW I hate burpees! Anyway this was working and in no time (2 months dropped 27 lbs.) I picked it up a notch by hitting it 2x a day at least 3 days a week. Well here comes the punch in the face. I got a kidney stone. It was not pleasant. (mind you I have never had one prior) I was hospitalized, ran around with a catheter in my pee-pee for a week and half, and still ended up passing a 8mm stone.(think small pea). All because of I did not drink enough water. Oh I drank water, but I drank coffee and TEA with out thinking of the consequences. The ice tea your drinking is a diuretic. So your dehydrating yourself with out knowing it. This along with the intense work out spurred me to form the kidney stone. So please up your intake I water. I noticed one person mention 2 liters. I label 4 liter size bottle with numbers 1-4. Fill them up with water and a squeeze of lemon juice(acid in your water helps with preventing stone formations) and when I finish number 4 at the end of the day I know I've had plenty. Sorry it was such a long winded post just to get to "please limit your TEA intake and increase your water intake". You will be surprised that right now if you increase your water to about 4 liters, give or take, the weight will start dropping again.
Keep it up, you will succeed!
Wow, incredible! Thanks for the tip, and I actually have switched over to more water than tea. I drink on average 1.5 gallons a day now. CONSTANTLY drinking water at work and in the truck. I just seem to not get enough of it. I have 1 tea a day with a meal and that's all. No soda whatsoever.

Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #103
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Keep at the fruit, veggies, water and exercise, man! Way to be! Weight problem or not, everyone should be eating like this. All that soda and sugar and junk is killing us. Keep it up, man. Stoked to see that you're doing something positive that makes you happy. I'd bet it'll make your loved ones and future family happy as well It may sound strange but I always think of my future sons (hopefully sons) and realize I need to stay fit so I can do cool stuff with them.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #104
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Keep at the fruit, veggies, water and exercise, man! Way to be! Weight problem or not, everyone should be eating like this. All that soda and sugar and junk is killing us. Keep it up, man. Stoked to see that you're doing something positive that makes you happy. I'd bet it'll make your loved ones and future family happy as well It may sound strange but I always think of my future sons (hopefully sons) and realize I need to stay fit so I can do cool stuff with them.
Yes I actually think about that all the time. I'd hate to be the fat dad who just sits around all day and watches the tube. I wanna be active and take my future kids out hiking and camping and wheeling and stuff like that. I gotta be fit for all that. Not to mention set a good example.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #105
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Proud of ya, man. Keep it up, even when it gets rough. It'll be worth it.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #106
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Dropping soda is huge. I did it as a new years resolution last year and haven't had a soda since
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #107

We like to only put the best products in our trucks because only the best will do! We're concerned about performance and longevity. Then when it comes to our bodies (something we can't just replace easily) we put all kinds of garbage into it. . . Makes sense. 'Merica.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #108
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
We like to only put the best products in our trucks because only the best will do! We're concerned about performance and longevity. Then when it comes to our bodies (something we can't just replace easily) we put all kinds of garbage into it. . . Makes sense. 'Merica.
Tis true.. I work for a food catering business and its disgusting to see half the shit that goes out. Not because its bad quality but because people order so much and then eat all of it.. we rarely have waste and sometimes we put out as much as 2500 calories per meal.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #109
Banned
prerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud of
prerantaco's Tacoma Gallery
whats your total weight now??
doing great!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #111
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
Good Job, Keep at it!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #112
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Good job duder! Funny, I was just thinking about this thread this morning and then it popped up on the home page. I haven't weighed myself but all my clothes are fitting better now especially the pants. I've been walking the dogs more frequently and now thanks to day light savings I'll have all that extra sunlight after work to do stuff. Last night I was cutting down tree branches for about 3 hours...yard work is one hell of a workout when you're out of shape! I've also been trying to keep my daily calorie intake to under 2000 and most of the time end up under the 2000 mark. I eat less at each meal which has really helped with the calorie counting. Also I've been going to the driving range at lunch just for a little extra activity.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #113
dbclbemtp is on a distinguished road
EMS:
dbclbemtp's Tacoma Gallery
Man, sounds like you are doing awesome! I am presently working on my own weightloss journey. I'm down 75lbs and have hit a small plateau, mostly due to a rotator cuff tear and surgery to fix it. I'm stuck at the house for three months with no strenuous activity. Funny how boredom equals hunger! Anyway. I thought I'd share what got me going and inspires me everytime. (To be honest, I jumped to the end of the thread to share this after checking your progress. So if you've seen it already, sorry Ijust love sharring this guys story and DDP's program.) If the link doesn't work, go to youtube and search Arthur's transformation. The program he used is a little unconventional, but effective and pretty cool. Hope it helps. BANG!

http://youtu.be/bIXOo8D9Qsc
Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #114
dbclbemtp is on a distinguished road
EMS:
dbclbemtp's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, forgot to add in there that I started the program at the heaviest I have ever been at 403lbs, now down to 325lbs, but still have a long way to go. Good luck and keep up the good work!