Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Health

Notices

It's time for change

Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
It's time for change

OK, so I've never done anything like this before, but here goes.

I've come to terms with myself...I have a weight problem, and I need to get healthy if I ever want to see my 30's. I've never admitted this to anybody, and most importantly, myself...until now. I find it hard to do the things I love without feeling tired, out of breath, or in pain. I love hiking, camping, working on my truck, playing sports, etc...but recently, I've hit my peak weight and I'm done. Enough is enough...

I've tried dieting and going to the gym and doing all these complex, profound, routines with little success...but a story I saw on the news a few days ago inspired me to step forth and challenge myself to do the impossible.

Edwin Velez of Albertville, AL lost 100lbs in 4 months. He, like me, said enough is enough and started a plan he made on his own to lose the pounds, and he had incredible success. He's lost 140lbs so far, beginning at 285lbs.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/edwi...onths-17395320

This is the video aired on ABC last week, and it's gotten me in contact with this guy to ask him some questions about his routines, tips, tricks, etc.

My current height/weight, 6'2" & 312lbs. I'm 22 years old.
My goal weight, 212lbs.
My time frame, by spring break 2013 (March 17-23, 2013)

My plan: I'm going to follow Edwin's advice, sticking to high protein, and carbs only from fresh fruit and vegetables, no carbs that are white in color (rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc). Completely cutting out soda and sugary juices/drinks. No sweets, dessert, ice cream, etc. Salad with no dressing, no ketchup or sauces. Portion control is a HUGE factor in my plan as well. Indeed a lifestyle change...but I've never been so inspired or confident in my life.

Exercise: Edwin began walking for 45 min a day, then began to combine some jogging, eventually jogging the entire 45 min, before moving to running 5-10 miles a day. I hate running/jogging, but I do love mountain biking, so I may create my own variation of that.

I realize the scope of such an undertaking, but I've done great things in the past. This is just one thing that I've never wanted to deal with, thinking it'll just go away on it's own...but not anymore. I've always been self-conscious about my weight, since elementary school...but I know the healthy guy I can be...because I wasn't always heavy. I already feel better about myself for starting this.

In the past, keeping my attempts at weight loss a secret has not helped...it only encouraged me to cheat knowing nobody else would know. I know this forum has some of the greatest people I know, and I'm asking for your help to check up on me, ask me questions, and most importantly, cheer me on

Here's a photo of me at age 16, and a few recent photos. I'll be adding to this thread as time goes on.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
You can do it. Throw in some weight training for faster and better results.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
MarkEmarK is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MarkEmarK's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like he is on the Paleo diet.

Good luck to you!! The first week will always be the hardest! Just keep it up and it will become a normal routine for you!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
You can do it. Throw in some weight training for faster and better results.
I will add weight training to my regimen after a few weeks of strictly cardio. But yes I don't want to be a skinny dude, I want to be fit, so muscle building is a must.

I should also add, I've quit smoking from almost 1 pack a day to 1 pack a month...basically just socially. It's a big step towards improving my overall health.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
I should also add, I've quit smoking from almost 1 pack a day to 1 pack a month...basically just socially. It's a big step towards improving my overall health.
That's awesome man, I'm only 29 and I've been a heavy smoker since 15. I quit 6 weeks ago today and it was, in all honesty, one of the easiest things I've ever done, once i made up my mind. I finally got fed up with always smelling, being a slave and spending tons of money on it.

When I was your age I lost 50 lbs in 4 month and have virtually kept it off. My brother recently lost 40 lbs on weight watchers, it's an awesome program!

My only advice is to be honest with yourself. If you cheat, then you're only lying to yourself!

My one friend said to me "man, I love cheeseburgers more then anything, but wearing size 36 jeans is the one of the greatest feelings in the world!" That Really stuck with me!

Best of luck!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
You got this in the bag man! Glad to hear your about your change!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
REBELTACO

Thanks, guys!

It's Day 2, and I'm already down 7.5lbs

I had a grilled chicken and veggie bowl with no teriyaki sauce from Flame Broiler today, and man that didn't go down easy...I'm not a fan of steamed cabbage, but I downed the whole bowl and topped it off with a glass of water. The amazing thing is, I'm just as full as if I had the regular teriyaki chicken and steamed rice bowl like I usually do.

Going to leave the office at 6:00 tonight so I can squeeze in some mountain biking before it gets too dark.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #9
NPB will become famous soon enough

NPB's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know if you have a gym membership already, but if you're looking at purchasing one the best deal (for 24hr fitness) is at costco. It's a better deal than anything the gym can offer you. I know because I work there.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #10
NPB will become famous soon enough

NPB's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and best of luck! I used to be a chubby little shit too, but trust me it's worth it!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #11
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
I will add weight training to my regimen after a few weeks of strictly cardio. But yes I don't want to be a skinny dude, I want to be fit, so muscle building is a must.

This man,

I have a good friend of mine that decided the same as well...enough is enough. He was 310 pounds and was miserable....he took the first few months and did cardio and tightened up his diet. Then he hit the gym hard and for the next 1 1/2 years he was at it all the time. He now weighs 185, and when I saw him I couldn't even believe that it was him.

I never thought that someone could do that and he proved you can do anything if you try hard enough. I would post up his before and after pics but he destroyed every pic that he ever took prior to changing his life. He will not even admit he used to be like that. I am definitely a believer after I saw what he did.

Just hang in there and don't give up and you will be the happiest you have ever been!! Good luck to you and your endeavor!!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
REBELTACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I love soda

Good luck brochacho, I am in the opposite boat, 5'9" and 140
Gaining weight is hard too

Looking forward to results.

As some added motivation, if you quit for any reason we will photo shop your face on a unicorn.
LOL I wish I had a problem gaining weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPB View Post
Oh and best of luck! I used to be a chubby little shit too, but trust me it's worth it!
Thanks man, I actually have a 24 Hour membership as well, but I prefer doing cardio outdoors. I'll definitely be hitting the gym for weight training though!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #13
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it sounds like you are kind of going the paleo or primal way. You should get the Paleo Solution by Rob Wolf or the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. Also check out marksdailyapple.com. Keep it up though man, I have faith in you.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
You got this, dude! It's all about having the right mindset. This isn't a temporary "diet" -- this is a lifestyle change!! Sending more positive vibes your way.

You're off to a great start and once you start seeing results you'll never want to go back to how you were before. Stay determined and strong because there will be some tough days ahead. I've been there, man. Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Good to see somebody taking a positive step forward with their health! You can do it!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #20
aidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: miguel
aidenhardcore's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man. I love your story about trying to be healthy and lose weight. I know it can be hard and stuff. I am too trying to lose weight just like you. Some days are so easy and other days are the hardest but it can be done. Best of luck to you and hope me and you can be fit one day